Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
That's total bull....I mean just for a freaking deposit? It's not even an upgrade fee or anything like that and how does AT&T expect someone to pay that kind of money ? If for $50 more we can get it unlocked without a contract.
How stupid is AT&T they are so heartless and greedy..because of them sprint eliminated their unlimited data. I hate such hate for at&t...I am sure lots feel the same way about this. We all should protest to make att have lower monthly payments. $60 just for 450 minute minutes talk and 300MB that's barely anything for 2012. But yes...the question is why would AT&T want to charge $600 for a stupid deposit? In this economy?....So freaking angry.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I assume it's because of your credit or lack there of. I don't pay a deposit and have 5 lines open.

Plus I don't feel the need to protest as I would pay more with other carriers. Sorry I won't join you in all your anger, it's fun to watch though.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
That is standard for companies to do that if you have a poor credit score. I never had to pay a deposit when I opened my account and I have 3 lines with them now.

rangrbob

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I worked at RadioShack and I remember ATT once asked someone to pay a $1200 deposit.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
It's because of a poor credit score on your application. Sorry, but try Sprint, they usually are the most lenient of the big 3

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It's based on your credit. If you are a risk you have to put down a huge deposit to prove that you can pay your bill.

You will get that back after 12 payments.

Verizon charges $700!

I used to work for Verizon...basically the lowest credit score gets a super high deposit so you never have to say no to anyone. Telling someone it will be $700 to start a line is basically saying no. But if they can pony up, then they can have a phone!

Last edited:

sjc83

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Cleveland
Well the phone costs $650? I'm sure it covers part of that

it does NOT cover the cost of the phone.

----------

That's total bull....I mean just for a freaking deposit? It's not even an upgrade fee or anything like that and how does AT&T expect someone to pay that kind of money ? If for $50 more we can get it unlocked without a contract.
How stupid is AT&T they are so heartless and greedy..because of them sprint eliminated their unlimited data. I hate such hate for at&t...I am sure lots feel the same way about this. We all should protest to make att have lower monthly payments. $60 just for 450 minute minutes talk and 300MB that's barely anything for 2012. But yes...the question is why would AT&T want to charge $600 for a stupid deposit? In this economy?....So freaking angry.

maybe you'd be better off with prepaid or T-Mobile.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York

Be a more responsible person and keep your credit up to par and you wouldn't have these issues.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009

Did you ask them why $600? I agree with other posters.. you probably have no credit or bad credit. Don't buy from AT&T if you do not like their terms. Also if you can't afford it don't get it. I do wish they have unlimited plans though. I agree they are greedy in that regard.

acatch90

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
it does NOT cover the cost of the phone.

----------

maybe you'd be better off with prepaid or T-Mobile.

Didn't say it did. What I meant by cover is that the deposit acts as insurance for the rest of the phone cost if you run off with the phone.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Never paid a deposit.

Ever.

Never.

Ever.

If your credit is so bad, maybe an Iphone 4 or a flipphone makes more sense for you.

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
That is standard for companies to do that if you have a poor credit score. I never had to pay a deposit when I opened my account and I have 3 lines with them now.

No credit = bad credit because credit is built from scratch.

I speak from experience as same happened to me when I first came to the US and had no credit history. At that time they were asking me for $1000 deposit per line.

T-Mobile won me as a customer for 2 years for they didn't care about my credit history (yes, I was on a 2 year agreement not month to month plan)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle

.....Sprint still has unlimited.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Wow judge much??
Maybe he is a college student without any credit history.

Yet he is stating the very rules from AT&T are stupid because of it? Who's wrong here? Any company will require a high deposit if they do not have a good credit rating. Perhaps he should make a more economical purchase than the latest iPhone? or He can ask his parents. First world problems right here!

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I have credit files frozen, and it is a pain to open one or all 3. I thus do not apply for credit and opt to pay full amount when credit is not needed. Most recently Dish had a 2 year contract and free installation with credit check or pay the cost of equipment and no credit check and no contract. I do remember when I moved from AT&T to T-mobile AT&T guy warned me we will need to credit check if you come back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.