Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An update to the .Mac package of software and services is imminent, according to AppleInsider sources. Reportedly, a new version of Backup (the backup utility) will support multiple backup plans, for backing up different collections of files, and allow backing up of multiple computers to one iDisk.

The new .Mac version is also said to include a number of exclusive Dashboard widgets.

.Mac is sold by annual subscription. In the U.S. the price is $99.95 per year, or $179.95 per year for a family five-pack.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
922 said:
Bigger iDisk please. I need at least 2GB. Also, we could use a few other new features here and there.
Agreed. The iDisk needs to be a lot bigger before I can get much use out of it.

enginerd

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2004
I've been waiting for Apple to give more disk space. If Google can give 2.5gb+ for free to everybody, Apple could certainly do better than 250mb. I'll be waiting. :cool:

basehart

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2002
Catch 22

As much as I'd like to sign my wife and kids up for a .mac account I can't take advantage of the family program because I can't add my existing account.

This means we've been holding off until they allow existing users to add their existing accounts to a family pack.

If I had a joeblow322@mac.com type user name it'd be no big deal - just sign up for a new one - but the one I have is kinda unique and I don't want to lose it.

Any idea when existing accounts can be merged in with new family accounts?

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
PLEASE be so!!! I have waited for so long for any sort of update (especially those widgets whose advertisements have mysteriously disappeared from .mac's site...).

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
and .mac still is not worth this college student's $99.

in fact even if I had the money I say it is not worth my money.

Let's move on to the music event next week (iPhone, iPod Video, color minis, iTunes 5.0) and Paris on the 20th (Powerbooks HD)

MacPhreak

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
Lexington, KY
It better be something very good, very soon, otherwise...meh. I have four days left until mine expires, and I have no plans to renew it. $100 doesn't buy much. $36 one time at Freeshell.org gets you 300mb for mail, webspace, and gopherspace (yes, people still use it!). .Mac looks pretty shabby.

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'll only get if...

I'll only get it if they give me at least 1gb of storage, FTP Access, and a domain name. HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt it'll happen, though.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
And on that point of "syncing" let me rant a bit...

I hate that I have to pay for .mac to sync my laptop and my desktop mac.

To wit...

If I were to use, as my mobile platform of choice, a Palm Device, I could sync that device for free via iSync. But, since I chose to spend my money with Apple, and I use a 12" Powerbook as my mobile device of choice, I have to spend $99/year with Apple to do a basic "sync" of basic things like my bookmarks, etc.

That's ridiculous. Seriously.

So, today, I launched Automator for the first time, thinking that perhaps I could configure it to sync files and folders between my desktop and my laptop. No dice. I can't do it.

.mac has gotten my money before, and I found it entirely useless. I hate feeling like they are withholding basic functionality from my operating system in order to fund their online venture.

Grrrrr....

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
Virex

pimentoLoaf said:
I'm hoping they upgrade Virex for use with Tigger.

Before anyone flames pimentoloaf, you have to remember that Virex is useful if you want to scan files you receive before sending them on to your friends.

Why you would want to use it with Tigger, Winnie the Pooh, or any of his friends I have no idea.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
The online bookmarks and iDisk come in handy...but considering my most used feature (other than email) is webhosting, I'd love to see support for PHP, CGI, Perl, MySQL...all them dynamic languages.

After all the advertising for the exclusive widgets they did near the Tiger release (then later removing those ads from their site), they'd really should get something together.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
.mac? People still use that?

I guess I shouldn't have worded it that way.

People EVER used that??

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Ja Di ksw said:
.mac? People still use that?

I guess I shouldn't have worded it that way.

People EVER used that??

Yep I use it mostly for the email address it helps mac evangelize. I wonder what happens to us who already have .mac...

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
.Mac isn't for everybody. Quite frankly, I like having that @mac.com address, I love being able to easily put a group of photos on a site for people to look at, and I like having one email address that I can actually keep forever. I've used .Mac since iTools and I love it, but since it is a pay service I do think it's in desperate need of an upgrade. More iDisk space, definitely more email space, plus a faster method of accessing the iDisk. Transmit has excellent .Mac support, by the way.

For people who actually use the services, .Mac is definitely worth the $99/yr. But seriously, if these are the only upgrades, I'll agree with everyone else... meh...

Fishes,
narco.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
AoWolf said:
Yep I use it mostly for the email address it helps mac evangelize. I wonder what happens to us who already have .mac...

It's just a system upgrade. All of the things - if, of course, they are true - will be available to us too. The dashboard widgets are definitely for real though (there's a little placeholder for them) - we'll get them, along with anything else. :)

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
My subscription renews in 4 days

I desparately need something worth renewing for. I have starting using my .mac account to host my podcasts, but there really isn't enough storage space for this to continue.
Other than that I have little use for .mac, and so I want this upgrade to make my AU$130 worth while. Last year I renewed my membership because I was overseas and using my .mac homepage to post all my photos from my trip. It was really useful then, but not today.

Come on Apple, give us value for money!

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I liked .Mac for a short while but then realised it was just not worth the money. They'll have to do more to lure the money from my wallet in future.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
pimentoLoaf said:
I'm hoping they upgrade Virex for use with Tigger.
They seem to have dropped Virex altogether a few weeks ago. .dat files are still made available but there are no links to the software and it no longer appears in the iDisk software folder.

canadosurfer

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2005
Good News

.Mac membership really needs to get a boost in features for it to be worthwile. For example the 250 MB iDisk is to small for home created movies and other large files, which people want to share.

ahmadof

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
not worth it?

I've had .mac since it forst came out. I have three computers that i don't have to worry about syncing (i just add contacts / mail folders / calandar items, etc. on any computer without worry.) I have three websites hosted on .mac (one business). My sister and i share files over the public folder. Insanely easy to share photos with iPhoto. Important work files (Quickbooks etc.) backed up daily automatically. Access to all my bookmarks at ANY (connected to internet) computer, Access to all my contacts and calenadrs on ANY computer. All this for $99 a year. I'm not quite understanding why this serrvice is universally panned. Do others not need this? are they doing the same things just as easily, but for free with a combination of other utilites? What am i missing?

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
I like some of the stuff .Mac provides and I do use my email account. Getting in early when it was a *free* service I managed to secure a decent email address. I also like the ability to throw some photos together into a web page. When it was launched there was nothing that compared and even now it is still a great feature. But I believe the price is too steep and surely something as fundamental as Backup should be provided as part of the operating system. Plus the storage provided is ridiculous if Apple intends .Mac to be a backup location.

To make .Mac awesome, give a free 10MB email only .Mac account with every Mac. Give Backup away with every Mac. Sell a premium .Mac account that includes web hosting and a decent amount of storage. Do a .Mac groups for community discussions.

Frankly I could care less about free games - there's really just no sense of community with .Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.