Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Had some time to kill on the way home from work, and was surprised when I stopped by Target that they actually had a couple of ip5's. I wasn't ready to do the transaction, so the employee said she'd put my name on one of them and I could come tomorrow.

Basically, we want to trade my wife's ip4 phone in ($135 credit towards the new phone), I am going to use my wife's line to upgrade to the ip5, and then I'm going to give my wife my older ip4. Hopefully that makes sense.

So, my question is what preparations should I make (of course back up both of our phones tonight--what else)? I've never used Target for anything mobile-related, and I just want to make sure it all goes smoothly. Hope this isn't too complicated for them.

Gnarl

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
First draw a pentagram and sit in a full lotus position in its center, by doing this you will cleanse your aura from any residual bad mojo coming from soon to be discarded old iPhone. Then bless yourself by eating freshly picked Macintosh apple. Now you are ready to summon the guidance of Genius Elders: they will manifest themselves in the form of a disfigured penguin so don't be alarmed, they bear the sin of a Linux pirate. Finally: ask Elders to guide your fingers swiftly so that you may successfully do an iTunes back up. I believe you are ready, proceed with the swap confidently.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
First draw a pentagram and sit in a full lotus position in its center, by doing this you will cleanse your aura from any residual bad mojo coming from soon to be discarded old iPhone. Then bless yourself by eating freshly picked Macintosh apple. Now you are ready to summon the guidance of Genius Elders: they will manifest themselves in the form of a disfigured penguin so don't be alarmed, they bear the sin of a Linux pirate. Finally: ask Elders to guide your fingers swiftly so that you may successfully do an iTunes back up. I believe you are ready, proceed with the swap confidently.

Wow, shocked that someone might so bored as to write a goofy a** reply like this. Is this how you spend your spare time :confused:

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I know, right? How dare someone have fun on the Internet!

I guess having fun is okay, but it didn't help one bit with my question. I guess I just like to make better use of my free time. If you're not going to contribute why even waste your time. Oh well...

Gnarl

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
It's only appropriate given the sheer amount of unwarranted worries and concerns some members of this forum have. OP had a legitimate concern though, but I also felt a legitimate need to amuse myself

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
It's only appropriate given the sheer amount of unwarranted worries and concerns some members of this forum have. OP had a legitimate concern though, but I also felt a legitimate need to amuse myself

I found it brilliantly hysterical myself! :)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Anyway, you really shouldn't have any other prep you need to do.

If you need to swap sims or some such, your cell provider will have to handle that, so you may have to go to one of their stores.

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
There are really no preparations needed. Back up your phones, since you guys will be switching anyway.

It would have been helpful if you said which carrier, but whatever. If it's ATT, you'll just swap out the SIMs (in fact, you wouldn't even need them to change anything, just process the upgrade and swap SIMs)

If it's VZW/Sprint, they'll probably activate each handset right there. The employee should do this for you on the spot, since it's an easy thing.

Other than that, just make sure you know your billing zip code, name on the account, last 4 of SSN of primary account holder, and any other passwords/PINs on the account. There's really nothing to it.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
There are really no preparations needed. Back up your phones, since you guys will be switching anyway.

It would have been helpful if you said which carrier, but whatever. If it's ATT, you'll just swap out the SIMs (in fact, you wouldn't even need them to change anything, just process the upgrade and swap SIMs)

If it's VZW/Sprint, they'll probably activate each handset right there. The employee should do this for you on the spot, since it's an easy thing.

Other than that, just make sure you know your billing zip code, name on the account, last 4 of SSN of primary account holder, and any other passwords/PINs on the account. There's really nothing to it.
in regards to AT&T, they'll need an AT&T rep to help them out because ip4 and ip5 sim cards aren't the same :)

since he upgraded her line, his wife's line will be attached to the new nano sim, so she needs her line transferred to a new micro sim to use with his old ip4. he needs his line transferred to a new nano sim for the ip5.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Sorry, yes we have AT&T, I thought I posted that. I did at first and then shortened my post and forgot to re-post that part.

Thanks for your replies!

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
in regards to AT&T, they'll need an AT&T rep to help them out because ip4 and ip5 sim cards aren't the same :)

since he upgraded her line, his wife's line will be attached to the new nano sim, so she needs her line transferred to a new micro sim to use with his old ip4. he needs his line transferred to a new nano sim for the ip5.

Doh. You are right, I forgot about the different SIM cards LOL.

You are correct, ICCIDs will need to be swapped within ATT's system.
But an ATT rep shouldn't be needed. Target should (again, emphasis on the "should' because I have no prior experience) be able to just change this since they are connected to ATT's system.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Doh. You are right, I forgot about the different SIM cards LOL.

You are correct, ICCIDs will need to be swapped within ATT's system.
But an ATT rep shouldn't be needed. Target should (again, emphasis on the "should' because I have no prior experience) be able to just change this since they are connected to ATT's system.

Sometimes the cell phone guy isn't there and you can't buy anything from target. However when I upgraded from a 3g to a 4 I don't think there was a rep, just the mobile sales consultant, felt like it took forever though. The verizon method definitely is quicker. I mean you pretty much just type in the IMEI/serial and you call a number/call verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.