Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:31 PM   #1
pdpfilms
macrumors 68020

Don't be fooled!

A few days ago my iPod photo stopped working. It kept displaying a "sad iPod" icon, and wouldn't play music or be recognized by my computer. I went to the iPod support website, and was informed that my warranty was expired and repair would be $280. After realizing there was not much else to do, I signed up.

Then, I remembered there is a one year parts warranty on iPods... and this bugger's not a year old. So I called Apple and was informed that i merely had to pay $29.95 for shipping and handling, unless I wanted the $49 student Applecare, which would cover the shipping cost and any future blunders.

I want others to know that there is likely an alternative to the widely prescribed (and overpriced) online repair service provided by apple. $280 is alot of money, and it's rediculous to me that I almost was tricked into paying this when really i had to only pay $49 at most.
pdpfilms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:33 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Thanks for the tip. I'm in a pretty similar predicament at the moment, and there's no way I'm paying that much to get my little iSaac fixed.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:36 PM   #3
Lacero
macrumors 601

I smell classs-action lawsuit...
Lacero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:59 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

They're not doing anything illegal, are they?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Nuc
macrumors 6502a

I would say so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
They're not doing anything illegal, are they?
$29.95 for shipping and handling is highway robbery. This is ridiculous..

Nuc
Nuc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:26 PM   #6
gco212
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpfilms
A few days ago my iPod photo stopped working. It kept displaying a "sad iPod" icon, and wouldn't play music or be recognized by my computer. I went to the iPod support website, and was informed that my warranty was expired and repair would be $280. After realizing there was not much else to do, I signed up.

Then, I remembered there is a one year parts warranty on iPods... and this bugger's not a year old. So I called Apple and was informed that i merely had to pay $29.95 for shipping and handling, unless I wanted the $49 student Applecare, which would cover the shipping cost and any future blunders.

I want others to know that there is likely an alternative to the widely prescribed (and overpriced) online repair service provided by apple. $280 is alot of money, and it's rediculous to me that I almost was tricked into paying this when really i had to only pay $49 at most.
The website must have made a mistake if it claimed your warranty had expired. The phone service and online repair service are one and the same as far as I know.
gco212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod