Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:49 PM   #51
sch11
macrumors member

The one on the right looks bad to me, too.
sch11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:38 PM   #52
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Had the same problem and returned it for a new one.

Don't expect to see the same 'blue' you saw in the 4 or 4s . If you check iphones in an Apple store you'll see they have a slight yellow to them.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:43 PM   #53
MidMan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman4 View Post
Had the same problem and returned it for a new one.

Don't expect to see the same 'blue' you saw in the 4 or 4s . If you check iphones in an Apple store you'll see they have a slight yellow to them.
"Slight yellow" is normal. "The same blue you saw in the 4/4s" is not normal. Period.
MidMan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:51 PM   #54
pedrofan
macrumors 6502

กกกกกกกกก C o l o r g a t e !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pedrofan; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
pedrofan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:51 AM   #55
Brettka7
macrumors regular

My 4 started out very yellow and my 5 started out very yellow, but after 2 weeks they became normal. My 3G on the other hand was Y E L L O W, and my friend's 3GS was very red.
Brettka7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:42 AM   #56
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrofan View Post
กกกกกกกกก C o l o r g a t e !!!!!!!!!!!!
How about OCDgate

Seriously, since the original iPhone Apple has used different manufacturers for the display. Regardless of manufacturing month, I have seen both yellowish and bluish screens.
charlesdayton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:04 PM   #57
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielover View Post
I like the picture. Can you post it?
Sure, I found it in the iPad wallpaper thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	371446  
mjpearce023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:16 AM   #58
mistertomlinson
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to mistertomlinson
The one on the right is too warm. The one on the left is too cool. DAMMIT APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mistertomlinson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:38 AM   #59
k3roro
macrumors 6502

Mine is like the one on the right, it's absolutely disgusting.

But if you take it to the Apple store, the genius will just tell you it's a fact of life and it is within Apple manufacturing standards.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:39 AM   #60
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdpov View Post
Mine is like the one on the right, it's absolutely disgusting.

But if you take it to the Apple store, the genius will just tell you it's a fact of life and it is within Apple manufacturing standards.
I hate how inconsistant Apple store visits are. I took my iPhone 4s to the Apple store because of a yellow tint on my screen and the genius exchanged it for a brand new one on the spot. However, you have the same issue and you are told it's within standards.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:41 AM   #61
Jinzen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrace View Post
I compared the display of my iPhone 5 with another family member's. Both are at the same brightness. My iPhone (on the right side of the attached image) has a warmer display, with a very slight yellow tint. The iPhone on the left has a slightly cooler (and seemingly better) display. When I use my iPhone 5 normally, the warmer tone of the display is not very apparent... but as you can see in the image, there's a clear difference when I put the two iPhones side-by-side.

Anyway, just wanted to get some input. Individual preferences aside, am I correct in thinking that the warmer display is not as good/high quality as the cooler, more natural looking display? Some seem to think the warmer display on the iPhone 5 is normal and helps improve color saturation... not sure if that has any merit or not.
Actually, you have a functional display while the phone on the left is defective.

I've been through nearly a dozen iPhone 5s and half of them had the rainbow display pattern to the left. You can see that the menu is a mix of RED and GREEN, while yours has a warmer color temperature, it is EVEN across the display.

Consider yourself one lucky SOB.
Jinzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:45 AM   #62
Jinzen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
The screen white balance is ok. What causes yellowing tint is uneven backlight from the top right corner (probably from the twisted LED). You can clearly see this portion of the screen is affected the most, while bottom left side remains practically yellow-free. The screen itself looks much better calibrataed than the one on the left side. Anyways I would exchange it due to uneveness of backlight. None of these screens are 100% free of backlight issues. Here's why:

It's actually very hard and rare to find 100% perfect screen in iDevice.
You're correct, but the problem is that perfectly even backlighting is impossible on a mobile device, and pretty much can only be achieved on a desktop LCD that can push brightness through the roof (and then calibrate from there to the lowest brightness point on the display or very nice uniform display).

Macbook Pros can't, for example, match the the display uniformity of a 27" iMac.

Lagom.nl and check contrast ratio - easy to see that every single iPhone, iPad, Macbook etc has uneven backlighting.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:54 AM   #63
Hieu
macrumors member

My first iPhone 5 had that problem. When I opened it at AT&T, I noticed the yellow tint right away.I compared to the phones at the Apple Store and each one had a cooler display. I got a genius appt and the employee exchanged it right away. The new iPhone he gave me had a much better display. There was no longer a yellow tint.
Hieu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:42 PM   #64
enophi1
macrumors 6502a

Here are my two models side by side , Excuse the over saturated images, and the lines. I was forced to use my old 4s

Week 39 Black (64GB) - left

Week 36 Black (64GB) - right this one is being returned to Apple, so I have to choose between the two and this one is scuffed

Both are at 100% full brightness. They both look very different under natural light. It's difficult to get the images to show how they really look. They show a pinkish tint using the 4s camera, but don't show this with the naked eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone1.png
Views:	100
Size:	863.4 KB
ID:	371608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone2.png
Views:	56
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	371609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone3.png
Views:	60
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	371610  

Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:49 PM   #65
Doggman
macrumors member

I have had a perfect iPhone 4 and when I got a replacement (I dropped it) it had a yellow tint screen. I said screw it because I knew I would be getting an iPhone 5 soon but the yellow tint has actually gone away over time. It now looks identical to my friends iPhone 4S that I originally compared it to when I got it months ago. Either way if the yellow doesn't bother you, then keep it. If it does, send it back!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:55 PM   #66
Fanboi4life
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by enophi1 View Post
Here are my two models side by side , Excuse the over saturated images, and the lines. I was forced to use my old 4s

Week 39 Black (64GB) - left

Week 36 Black (64GB) - right this one is being returned to Apple, so I have to choose between the two and this one is scuffed

Both are at 100% full brightness. They both look very different under natural light. It's difficult to get the images to show how they really look. They show a pinkish tint using the 4s camera, but don't show this with the naked eye.
Check your Facebook status' will ya. My OCD senses are tingling...
Fanboi4life is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:59 PM   #67
enophi1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboi4life View Post
Check your Facebook status' will ya. My OCD senses are tingling...
Hah! I have via my macbook pro. I hardly ever check Facebook on the iphone, when I am outside I tend to just play games
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:10 PM   #68
poldybloom
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinzen View Post
Actually, you have a functional display while the phone on the left is defective.

I've been through nearly a dozen iPhone 5s and half of them had the rainbow display pattern to the left. You can see that the menu is a mix of RED and GREEN, while yours has a warmer color temperature, it is EVEN across the display.

Consider yourself one lucky SOB.
Saw your post and immediately recognized my issue.

I think I got one of those "rainbow displays" you mention.

You can see a picture here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20359642#20359642

Do you know if Apple will replace an iPhone with this problem?

Thanks!!!
poldybloom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:52 PM   #69
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Each supplier producing similar YET not equal screens. Apple has not allowed for any variants in production from each company and as a result we are seeing different color screens.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:27 AM   #70
Jinzen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldybloom View Post
Saw your post and immediately recognized my issue.

I think I got one of those "rainbow displays" you mention.

You can see a picture here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20359642#20359642

Do you know if Apple will replace an iPhone with this problem?

Thanks!!!
Try for one with a Genius Bar appointment and make sure you find a display phone without the issue to point out first. They will replace it if you're nice but firmly express your concern.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone