Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
I am torn. I have been dabbling in photography for the past 5-6 years and have more or less used my Canon Powershot S5 IS (DIGIC III processor) to it's limit. In fact, my daughter and wife managed to break the flash and scratch the lens recently, which means I am now actively looking for a new camera. I have been reading about various DSLR options available and would like to stay with Canon, so I feel like my best quality-vs-price options are:

(1) T2i --- DIGIC IV processor, should be cheapest (~$500)
(2) T3i --- DIGIC IV processor, should be cheaper ($500+)
(3) T4i --- DIGIC V processor, is more expensive ($800+)
(4) 60D -- DIGIC IV processor, is most expensive ($1000+)
----------

I am looking at getting a decent all-around lens to take various family event / nature shot. Staying below $1000ish, should I opt for T2i/T3i and get a "better" lens or T4i/60D and stick with stock lenses? Or is worth it to go for "new-is-better" (i.e. T4i with newer processor) and wait on buying the lens?

Finally, should I expect any good deals around Black Friday or is the current Canon DSLR+Printer combo $400 MIR as good as it gets?

Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Get the T3i and better lens. The T4i's isn't much if any improvement in IQ. The kit Amazon sells is pretty good price-wise. Maybe it might get cheaper during BF but I doubt it will be by much. Price of lenses tend to be fairly constant and for $600 you are getting the body, the kit lens and the 55-250mm.

Another option to think about is getting used. Canon 60D or Nikon D90 etc. Even though those are older than even the T3i they are more serious enthusiast bodies and IMO have better ergonomics for shooting. I currently use a T3i and would have liked some features of the D90 despite the older sensors. More excuse to go buy a 5d MKII I guess...lol.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
OP,
I say a T3i, but consider a 60D, T4i, or a 7D if you can spend the extra money. You can use a kit zoom only such as a 18-135. Or use a kit zoom plus a flash, like a 580 ex II. A used specimen can be purchased for $325. Or you can buy a 17-55 2.8 and forego a flash. There are plenty of options and combos to consider! Choose wisely.

Since what you are photographing is not demanding a lot from a camera, hence not wildlife or sports, a Rebel series camera will be your answer. I'm not saying you can't photograph wildlife and sports with a Rebel series camera, I'm saying your keeper percentage will increase when calling in a big boy: 7d, 1D series camera, or a lowly 60D!

As you stated, worry about glass because there are plenty of options. I say buy a Canon kit zoom or third party equivalent and something like a 70-200 or 70-300 lens. Then if you decide to go wide, buy a uwa lens. I think you are on the right track though. Presently, it's a good time to buy a first dslr or upgrade an older rig, as there are many great cameras availabe and some not Canon variations. I hope this helps.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I was kind of in the same position a few months ago that you are now and I went with the T2i. The biggest difference between the T2i and the T3i is the tilt/fold out screen. If you want to shoot video, it's probably worth it to go for the T3i (for the screen) or the T4i (for better video autofocus).

If you just want to shoot still photography, save your money on the body and get the T2i. The difference in actual image quality between the bodies is going to be very small, and you'll see improvements in image quality more with better glass than the slightly more expensive body.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Skip the 4i. Read its reviews. The IQ is on par with a D200. And that is a very old camera!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
T2i - budget, best value-for-money
T3i - T2i with a flippy screen if you want video-friendly features.
T4i - T3i with a touchscreen and no major improvements, not worth the money.
60D - T3i with a bigger grip, better burst, better autofocus and a pentaprism viewfinder. Also has the quick control dial found on upper-end Canon DSLRs so you get a chance to get used to it before you upgrade (if you should ever upgrade, that is). Simply more comfortable and a better camera.

I'd say justify your choice between the T2i and the 60D. For your budget I'd go for the 60D and the 18-135mm kit. the 18-135mm is a heck of a good kit lens and should not disappoint you. It's $1100 on Amazon but on Black Friday you should get a pretty good deal on it.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Thanks y'all!

I did read/study many reviews and was disappointed to find out that the APS-C image sensor in the new T4i is the same as in the archaic 5D, old T2i, and older T3i --- that is disappointing from Canon. The T4i offers little in terms of improvements over T3i, but the HDR functionality and touch-screen.

I finally got my camera! I got a good deal on Canon T4i + 40mm pancake lens. In the end, I could not get myself to spend $300-$400 on older T2i and the 60D was out of my price-range, but two great deals came along to give me the following choices:
(a) T3i + 2 x EF-S lenses [18-55mm & 50-175mm or slt] + PixmaPro9000 printer + CX SD card ($580)
(b) T4i + 40mm pancake lens + PixmaPro9000 printer + semi-gloss photo paper plus 13 x 19 ($680)

My main investment is going to be lenses and I did not want to start out with two average/below average lenses in the T3i deal, so I purchased the T4i combo, hoping the touch-screen would enable my iPhonic wife to start using this more complicated camera. Plus, if I can sell my printer + paper for $150ish, I will end up with an amazing deal overall for a good camera and a great lens. Good starting point, I think.

For future lenses, I am eyeing a tele-photo lens but can't decide if I should continue my foray into cheaper/higher quality EF Prime lenses (i.e. 85 or 130mm lenses) or move toward flexible Zoom lenses (i.e. EF 70-300mm).

Fun times ahead!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Get a reburished camera and lens from Canon USA. I have purchased several bodies and lenses...they are just like new for hundreds less. Also you can trade in an old Canon body for credit as part of Canon Loyalty Program.

Normally the site below lists all the cameras and lenses available. Right now the refurbished contents are zero. I wonder if the storm has messed with Canon's HQ in the Northeast and it will take time for them to repopulate the site.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Bumping an old thread with a few questions.

I've been teaching myself Adobe Premiere CS6 over the past few months but would like to get into shooting my own footage for fun or even for freelance work. I've always used friends cameras or have had them shoot the footage and just did the editing for them so I'm kind of clueless when it comes to shooting video with a digital SLR. Reading the OP's thread, I've heard some good about the Canon EOS Rebel T3i and T4i.

I'll most likely buy a refurbished camera from Canon's site but my question is how advanced do I really need to go for basic video shooting? I like the touch screen option on the T4i but it wouldn't be a complete selling point. I didn't know if I needed to start with something like the EOS 60D or if something like the T4i would be sufficient for me.

I'm running a 27" i7 iMac (no thunderbolt or USB 3.0) and a 15" i7 MBP with Thunderbolt (no USB 3.0) if that makes any difference. Reading the specs on the T4i I noticed there were more supported file formats especially when it came to the audio portion.

I'm a newbie when it comes to the cameras so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Bumping an old thread with a few questions.

I've been teaching myself Adobe Premiere CS6 over the past few months but would like to get into shooting my own footage for fun or even for freelance work. I've always used friends cameras or have had them shoot the footage and just did the editing for them so I'm kind of clueless when it comes to shooting video with a digital SLR. Reading the OP's thread, I've heard some good about the Canon EOS Rebel T3i and T4i.

I'll most likely buy a refurbished camera from Canon's site but my question is how advanced do I really need to go for basic video shooting? I like the touch screen option on the T4i but it wouldn't be a complete selling point. I didn't know if I needed to start with something like the EOS 60D or if something like the T4i would be sufficient for me.

I'm running a 27" i7 iMac (no thunderbolt or USB 3.0) and a 15" i7 MBP with Thunderbolt (no USB 3.0) if that makes any difference. Reading the specs on the T4i I noticed there were more supported file formats especially when it came to the audio portion.

I'm a newbie when it comes to the cameras so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I think either a T4i or 60D will be more than enough camera. I use a 60D for weekend warrior style video recording and I'm very happy, but my videos are very amateur. I like a quick 30 seconds to a minute of video clips. Your glass will determine your video capacity too! I agree that buying from Canon is a great idea. Which lenses do you own or plan to buy for video?

Last edited:

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I think either a T4i or 60D will be more than enough camera. I use a 60D for weekend warrior style video recording and I'm very happy, but my videos are very amateur. I like a quick 30 seconds to a minute of video clips. Your glass will determine your video capacity too! I agree that buying from Canon is a great idea. Which lenses do you own or plan to buy for video?

I don't own anything at the moment and have no idea which lens I'll end up going with. One of the T4i's on Canon's refurbished website comes with an upgraded lens but I still need to do research on which lens will be the best for basic video shooting. I'm basically looking for something I can learn very easily with but something that will last me a while too.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I don't own anything at the moment and have no idea which lens I'll end up going with. One of the T4i's on Canon's refurbished website comes with an upgraded lens but I still need to do research on which lens will be the best for basic video shooting. I'm basically looking for something I can learn very easily with but something that will last me a while too.

If you like photography a lot, then buy a lens like 17-55 f/2.8, 15-85, 24-105, or the trusty 18-135/18-55. If you are not totally sold with the art of capturing photos, then buy a kit with a lens and camera body packaged together. Usually you save some money on the lens. Hope this helps and happy shopping!

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Many of the above posters have said that the T4i vs the T3i is the exact same camera with a touchscreen with no other benefits. I just sold my T3i to get an EOS M that uses the T4i processor/sensor and I feel that there is a significant jump in IQ.

The digic 5 processor in the T4i/EOS M has gained me at least 1 stop of additional usable ISO range and possibly 2 stops. I think that alone is a potential reason to get the 4i over the 3i.

A second point is the STM lenses. I shoot video fairly regularly and the ability to focus silently while recording is awesome.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Many of the above posters have said that the T4i vs the T3i is the exact same camera with a touchscreen with no other benefits. I just sold my T3i to get an EOS M that uses the T4i processor/sensor and I feel that there is a significant jump in IQ.

The digic 5 processor in the T4i/EOS M has gained me at least 1 stop of additional usable ISO range and possibly 2 stops. I think that alone is a potential reason to get the 4i over the 3i.

I've heard of improvement in JPEG quality but not so much in raw. What was your experience with respect to that?

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I've heard of improvement in JPEG quality but not so much in raw. What was your experience with respect to that?

My previous comment stands. I rarely look at JPEGs as I shoot 100% in raw but still think that there is a noise benefit to be seen in the T4i over the older models. Just yesterday I snapped a quick shot at 3200 with an aperture in the 4-5 range. With my T2i I would have had to swap lenses to get a lower aperture to get my ISO to 1600.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
If you like photography a lot, then buy a lens like 17-55 f/2.8, 15-85, 24-105, or the trusty 18-135/18-55. If you are not totally sold with the art of capturing photos, then buy a kit with a lens and camera body packaged together. Usually you save some money on the lens. Hope this helps and happy shopping!

6 months later -- I'm pulling the trigger within the next week or so since I'm leaving the country again and would like to document it better than I did last time with my point and shoot camera.

I was on Canon's website reading the specs of the T3i and under the video section it says this:

With the Video Snapshot feature, the EOS Rebel T3i DSLR will capture short video clips (of 2, 4 or 8 seconds) then combine them automatically into one video file as a snapshot or highlights.

I'm curious as to how long in length I can record video. I'm wanting to make at least 2 - 3 minute clips and then combine them later or at least add some kind of transition so it looks good. I guess I'm confused with the 'short video clips' being combined.

If I can do longer videos with the T3i, I think I will grab that until I feel the need to upgrade (probably years) since I know nothing about lenses and using a DSLR. :)

Thanks all!

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I think the t3i can record clips of up to 30 minutes. (Apparently that limit has to do with some tax issue with some european countries, as the camera would be considered a video camera and would require some fee...)

Looking at the refurbished prices, it makes me feel sick knowing what I paid for my camera just 2 years ago.

I'd also go for the t3i, I have the t2i and a swivelling screen would be useful for video or when the camera is at a weird angle on a tripod. If you're new to photography, I'd advise you to go with the kit 18-55 zoom to start and maybe the 50mm f/1.8. The kit zoom lens will let you shoot in a variety of settings. And the 50mm prime will give you a feel for prime lenses as well open up the possibility to shoot in extremely low light and dabble with shallow depth of field. Worse come to worse they're two very cheap lenses that can be easily sold used.

Play around with your camera for a few months, learn the techniques and start developing a style. At that point you'll be in much better shape to spend the rest of that 1000$ on good lenses that you'll actually use.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I think the t3i can record clips of up to 30 minutes. (Apparently that limit has to do with some tax issue with some european countries, as the camera would be considered a video camera and would require some fee...)

Picked up the Canon Rebel T3i with the 18-55mm lens as well as the 18-250mm lens yesterday. They had a bundle special going on at Best Buy and I figured I should pick it up now so I can learn how to use it before my next trip out of the country.

Pretty straight forward camera but I need to play with the video settings. I did a short clip and the quality didn't seem like it was 720p or 1080p. I have the camera shooting raw right now but didn't know if video was the same way.

I guess I have some experimenting to do. :) I'm happy overall so far though!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Picked up the Canon Rebel T3i with the 18-55mm lens as well as the 18-250mm lens yesterday. They had a bundle special going on at Best Buy and I figured I should pick it up now so I can learn how to use it before my next trip out of the country.

Pretty straight forward camera but I need to play with the video settings. I did a short clip and the quality didn't seem like it was 720p or 1080p. I have the camera shooting raw right now but didn't know if video was the same way.

I guess I have some experimenting to do. :) I'm happy overall so far though!

Every beginner things they need an ultra long lens llike the 250mm. Would have been better to buy a 50mm prime. (or a 35mm prime) there still may be time to exchange.

No, the camera does not record RAW video. To shoot good video with this camera you will need a tripod. The camera has to compress and it can do that best if the background remains unchanged between frames. Also you will find the audio is very hard to get "right". Most everyone will say to buy the Rode Video Microphone. Shooting videos that people will want to see is eight times harder than taking still photos

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Every beginner things they need an ultra long lens llike the 250mm. Would have been better to buy a 50mm prime. (or a 35mm prime) there still may be time to exchange.

No, the camera does not record RAW video. To shoot good video with this camera you will need a tripod. The camera has to compress and it can do that best if the background remains unchanged between frames. Also you will find the audio is very hard to get "right". Most everyone will say to buy the Rode Video Microphone. Shooting videos that people will want to see is eight times harder than taking still photos

Thanks for the input, Chris. I've been looking at a few different microphones for it but I'm still getting used to the camera so that will be something I pick up in the future.

As far as the 2nd lens, there were only 2 that you could get a discount on when bundling the camera up. One is the 75-300mm and the other is the one I picked up (55-250mm). My buddy's 60D came with the 18-135mm lens and I wish mine came with that. I live the easiness of the 18-135mm and still having a nice zoom without having to swap the lens out.

I guess I'll take it one step at a time! :D

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
As far as the 2nd lens, there were only 2 that you could get a discount on when bundling the camera up. One is the 75-300mm and the other is the one I picked up (55-250mm). My buddy's 60D came with the 18-135mm lens and I wish mine came with that. I live the easiness of the 18-135mm and still having a nice zoom without having to swap the lens out.

Well, small little update with my camera setup. My friend with the 60D had to take his in to Best Buy to have it fixed (has their service plan thing) and something couldn't be fixed so Best Buy gave him a gift card for the amount of the 60D rather than a new camera. When he took the camera in for maintenance, he took the body only and he purchased another 60D with the gift card so he has 2 of the 18-135mm lenses now. He sold me his new lens for $150 and he threw in an extra 58mm lens filter with it too.

Needless to say, I'm going to return the 55-250mm lens since I highly doubt I'll even use it on my trips. Most of my photos will be up close objects / people and the 135mm has enough zoom for me.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
I ended up getting T4i with 40mm 1/2.8f pancake lens.

The lens is worth its salt (came with my camera) but occasionally it performs below expectations with minor annoyances: instances of poor auto-focus, especially when you get closer to their minimum distance.

Just last weekend, the rubber protector on the view-finder fell off, which is disappointing.

I would suggest getting a better lens (either one with zoom capability or two primes)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.