Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1
catgo
macrumors member

Best Buy no-commitment iphone 5

Just purchased a new at&t iphone 5 from best buy for full price ($699.00). I am planning on using the phone overseas with a local carrier. I currently do not have an at&t sim card to be able to activate and unlock the phone. Im using the blank sim that came with the phone but apparently it doesn't work.

I restore the phone on itunes to get it unlocked however i do not get the unlock successful message and once i pop my non-at&t sim to the phone I get a message letting me know the phone is locked.

What can I do to get it to activate?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2
alent1234
macrumors 603

use the online AT&T unlock web site to unlock it. takes a few days
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
catgo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
use the online AT&T unlock web site to unlock it. takes a few days
Will I be able to activate it though after getting the code?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:52 PM   #4
PeterTran
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgo View Post
Just purchased a new at&t iphone 5 from best buy for full price ($699.00). I am planning on using the phone overseas with a local carrier. I currently do not have an at&t sim card to be able to activate and unlock the phone. Im using the blank sim that came with the phone but apparently it doesn't work.

I restore the phone on itunes to get it unlocked however i do not get the unlock successful message and once i pop my non-at&t sim to the phone I get a message letting me know the phone is locked.

Thanks
was the 699 with tax included already?
PeterTran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
gremond
macrumors newbie

Don't you need to have an AT&T account to buy the no-commitment iPhone outside the Apple Stores?
gremond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:04 PM   #6
catgo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTran View Post
was the 699 with tax included already?
No..plus tax...came up to aprox $749 I believe. I think* i got the phone activated, I have it working on a At&t go phone sim and was able to sync all my apps and information.

However, when I restore on iTunes to get it "unlocked" it just does a normal restore, I do not get the "your phone is unlocked" message nor does the non-at&t sim work. I have submitted the unlock request to at&t and will be faxing them the receipt shortly. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:06 PM   #7
faiz23
macrumors 6502

either apply on at&T website or if you want it done instant and done right then message will strafach (@chronic) and he will take care of it for $35 and you will be set for life.

Edit: You paid $50 extra and I would take the Apple.com print out along with local apple store pricing and have bestbuy refund you that $50 since it is $649.99 no commitment price. Bestbuy will reduce the price if you call them out on it but charge you $50 premium if you say nothing. I would do that and send $35 to will and have an unlocked iphone 5 instead of a locked overpriced phone
--

Will Strafach <will@chronicwire.com>

Thanks,
Will Strafach
will@chronicwire.com
Twitter: @chronic + @chronicwire
faiz23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:09 PM   #8
PeterTran
macrumors member

Quote:
No..plus tax...came up to aprox $749 I believe. I think* i got the phone activated, I have it working on a At&t go phone sim and was able to sync all my apps and information.

However, when I restore on iTunes to get it "unlocked" it just does a normal restore, I do not get the "your phone is unlocked" message nor does the non-at&t sim work. I have submitted the unlock request to at&t and will be faxing them the receipt shortly. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Thoughts?
this is for the 16g?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:11 PM   #9
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
this is for the 16g?
yeah, best buy charges $699 for the 16 gb + tax
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Dtp8513
macrumors regular

Return the iphone, buy a regular att model and use ebay to unlock for 5 bucks.
Dtp8513 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:17 PM   #11
PeterTran
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
yeah, best buy charges $699 for the 16 gb + tax
on their site, they said they match the iphone price at the apple store so i think you could have gotten it for 650+tax would be 700

----------

Will you price match with the Best Buy site on my mobile phone (m.bestbuy.com), iPhone and Android apps?
Yes. M.bestbuy.com, the iPhone and Android applications have the same pricing and are treated the same as BestBuy.com.
-best buy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:34 PM   #12
dave006
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtp8513 View Post
Return the iphone, buy a regular att model and use ebay to unlock for 5 bucks.
This only works if you want a two year commitment to AT&T. So if the OP is an existing AT&T customer and just wants the unlock so they can travel Overseas then yes you suggestion to purchase a subsidized AT&T iPhone 5 would be an option.

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:36 PM   #13
catgo
macrumors member

Quote:
on their site, they said they match the iphone price at the apple store so i think you could have gotten it for 650+tax would be 700

----------

Will you price match with the Best Buy site on my mobile phone (m.bestbuy.com), iPhone and Android apps?
Yes. M.bestbuy.com, the iPhone and Android applications have the same pricing and are treated the same as BestBuy.com.
-best buy
I'll definitely stop by and see if they can do anything to get those $50 + tax back. I have been looking for an iphone for the past week in s. florida and when i called and they told they had a few i raced to get there asap. Hopefully the unlock code from at&t will allow me to use the phone on other carriers.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave006 View Post
This only works if you want a two year commitment to AT&T. So if the OP is an existing AT&T customer and just wants the unlock so they can travel Overseas then yes you suggestion to purchase a subsidized AT&T iPhone 5 would be an option.

Dave
Hello, i do not have an at&t account, purchased the phone mainly to use overseas and with gophone in the US.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:46 PM   #14
dave006
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Thanks
Just because you paid "full" price does not mean the device is unlocked by default. It matter how the transaction was processed. As others have indicated, since you paid "full" price, AT&T will unlock your iPhone 5.

You will need to provide proof that you paid "full" price. You can start on the AT&T Unlock web page https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Once you get it unlocked by AT&T or via eBay then you will be able to complete your activation steps using any Nano-SIM.

Dave

----------

Quote:
I'll definitely stop by and see if they can do anything to get those $50 + tax back. I have been looking for an iphone for the past week in s. florida and when i called and they told they had a few i raced to get there asap. Hopefully the unlock code from at&t will allow me to use the phone on other carriers.
There is no unlock code that AT&T will provide to you. They submit a request to Apple with your iPhone 5 IMEI to update the Apple database to allow your iPhone 5 to be unlocked during the next "Restore". Also note that you may not get "Unlock Message" unless you do a "Restore" as new and then you can restore your backup.

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:54 PM   #15
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

How long does it usually take for AT&T to do the unlock request?
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:14 PM   #16
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

It was my understanding that all full price phones are unlocked. It was also my understanding that you cannot use these ebay services to unlock a phone that is not activated (a phone number assigned).

Even the ATT unlock process will not work until the phone activated.

I have tried twice to get ATT to unlock my 4s (not in service) and both times I have been rejected.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:23 PM   #17
PeterTran
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
It was my understanding that all full price phones are unlocked. It was also my understanding that you cannot use these ebay services to unlock a phone that is not activated (a phone number assigned).

Even the ATT unlock process will not work until the phone activated.

I have tried twice to get ATT to unlock my 4s (not in service) and both times I have been rejected.
this is not true. Only at the apple store is it true. If you buy a full price iphone at the apple store as device only (in att's case) it will be unlocked but if you buy it at other places such as best buy, target, radioshack, or walmart, it will not be unlocked.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:46 PM   #18
aviw
macrumors newbie

Must Unlock my new iPhone 5 AT&T bought in Best Buy

Quote:
this is not true. Only at the apple store is it true. If you buy a full price iphone at the apple store as device only (in att's case) it will be unlocked but if you buy it at other places such as best buy, target, radioshack, or walmart, it will not be unlocked.
So, what's the best and fastest way to unlock my new iPhone 5, AT&T case which was bougt without contract, full price at Best Buy? Thank you!
aviw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:51 PM   #19
JCCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I bought one from Best Buy in Plano TX, it came unlocked. Activated fine with my non AT&T SIM Card and using it with Mexico Telcel Carrier. They Best Buy guy wanted to activate it for me, I just said no and asked him to just charge me for the phone and don't do anything else.
JCCL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:45 PM   #20
catgo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviw View Post
So, what's the best and fastest way to unlock my new iPhone 5, AT&T case which was bougt without contract, full price at Best Buy? Thank you!
I submitted my unlock request to AT&T through their website and faxed them my best buy receipt which showed it was a no commitment device and received a confirmation email about 1 hour later letting me know my phone was eligible for the unlock and I should give them up to 24 hours for the unlock to be processed. Did a restore on iTunes about 6 hours later and got the "congratulations you phone is unlocked" message. Phone is unlocked and working perfectly now.

Thanks to all for your help!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:26 AM   #21
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Use one of the sites that has an imei lookup and see of its already unlocked. Unlock fusion will do it for $6.

Full price phones should be unlocked.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:07 PM   #22
araje
macrumors regular

Well I am confused. If you have paid the full price why are you even trying to unlock? Shouldn't your phone be unlocked right away ?

I bought my unlocked iPhone 5 from apple store directly at 649$ + tax coming up to 715$. I didn't have to do anything. Just put in my tmobile nano sim and I was on the network in 5 mins.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone