Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
chriscl
macrumors 6502

Working Canon EOS Utility for Mac OS X 10.8

Canon have released a new version of EOS Utility, this is is version 2.12.0 and it now runs under Mac OS X 10.8.x

For those who use EOS Utility with Canon cameras and have upgraded to OS X 10.8, the previous version of EOS Utility would not work.

This version however, does install, run, and work under 10.8

This is linked from the 7D Product Page, but works with all EOS models:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consu...&type=download
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

I've found 2.10.4.0 to work fine on Mountain Lion. Works perfect with my 5D MkII - My 1D MkII on the other hand with never work with newer versions (Canon haven't updated the software for older kit) - I still use Eos Utility for import on the 1D though, via a card reader.
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
AxisOfBeagles
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I have been unable to use EOS utility on my 40D since Mountain Lion. According to the support download site, "sometime in October" - but if this one works, I owe ya a beer.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:14 PM   #4
cableguy619
macrumors regular

finally they have updated it awesome thanks for heads up
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:35 AM   #5
AxisOfBeagles
macrumors 6502

update: this version of the EOS Utility is also available on the US downloads pages for the various camera models.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get either download to open on my computer!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:03 AM   #6
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

Just to ask, what does the Canon software do for you that the operating system and already-present apps don't do by just plugging the card into your SD slot and importing into iphoto or maybe aperture or photoshop, or just dragging into your pictures directory? I've got a Nikon D7000 and we never even bothered to look to see if there was a mac version of their software; we just didn't need it.
wgnoyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
AxisOfBeagles
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgnoyes View Post
Just to ask, what does the Canon software do for you that the operating system and already-present apps don't do by just plugging the card into your SD slot and importing into iphoto or maybe aperture or photoshop, or just dragging into your pictures directory? I've got a Nikon D7000 and we never even bothered to look to see if there was a mac version of their software; we just didn't need it.
for me, the EOS Utility gives me the most effective means of re-naming my images the way I want them named. Aperture can re-name them, but I have to reset the counter. Second, and possibly more important, I like having a redundant file of all original RAW images, outside of Aperture. So I add a small workflow step - I import with the EOS Utility, renaming them accordingly. Those files are stored separate to Aperture. I then import those files into Aperure, adding metadata during that step. Not all of those images stay in Aperture, only those that I intend to work with.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:11 AM   #8
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

Okay. I drag everything manually from the sdcard to a separate archive folder, too, before importing into iPhoto/aperture.
wgnoyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography