Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
The search engine is down, or I would have looked if there was a thread regarding this....

I need a cheap, able phone I could buy on ebay or craigslist very cheaply to use as a placeholder.

Something that Verizon can't say requires a data plan of any kind....

Looking for model #'s - I would like it to be at least of a decent quality.

Would a Razr V3 work??

B's iPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Where it's cold
The search engine is down, or I would have looked if there was a thread regarding this....

I need a cheap, able phone I could buy on ebay or craigslist very cheaply to use as a placeholder.

Something that Verizon can't say requires a data plan of any kind....

Looking for model #'s - I would like it to be at least of a decent quality.

Would a Razr V3 work??

I use att so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I would think an old Razr would work. They never required a data plan back when I had Verizon and was running a Razr.

Last edited:

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
That's what I'm thinking - I see new ones for $49 - an 8/10 used one for $25

Might be a way to go.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal

I'm not sure about whether you can add a 'prepaid' phone to an existing line. A bit over a year ago, my daughter destroyed her dumbphone and I bought a Verizon no-contract prepaid phone and they wouldn't let me add it to her line (ended up getting another Samsung - a Glyde (awful phone) - said I couldn't use it for something like six months.

The only reason I mention the Razr is I have some experience with it - I know it holds up pretty well....

That may be the way to go.

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
I'm not sure about whether you can add a 'prepaid' phone to an existing line. A bit over a year ago, my daughter destroyed her dumbphone and I bought a Verizon no-contract prepaid phone and they wouldn't let me add it to her line (ended up getting another Samsung - a Glyde (awful phone) - said I couldn't use it for something like six months.

The only reason I mention the Razr is I have some experience with it - I know it holds up pretty well....

That may be the way to go.

I was in search of a dumb phone not long ago as well. When I was at the Verizon Store, the lady explained to me that prepaid that has not been used for # of months can't be used to a postpaid account. I ended buying on fleabay samsung something.. not sure of the model.. Clean ESN is one of the key to look into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.