Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I have sold and bought hundreds of phones on Egay and Craigsfist and have never had any problems

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
Me either. Have 2 on eBay now that will be sold this weekend. 2 ppl will be receiving 2 like new phones at a great price.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
This thread is SO stupid. There are plenty of members on this site who have legitimately bought and sold iPhones on both eBay and Craigslist. I really think you need to get a clue.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
The secondary market has built Apple to where it is today. I sell my last gen product and buy new. The person who buys it is introduced to Apple's ecosystem and starts buying more product etc.

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
You just have to be smart when buying/selling off ebay and craiglist.
When you're buying an expensive stuff from ebay, you should always look for the sellers ratings and feedback. I've bought quite a few pricey electronics on ebay and all have gone smoothly. Except for this one time when I had a little bit of trouble receiving my Blackberry, but the seller was very accommodating and promptly gave a full refund.

I always sell my iPhone on ebay too. Always ship it within US states only and whenever someone PM you about shipping it to some other countries with the promise of much higher price and do it outside of ebay, it's BS. Ignore that. It's a scam.

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I bought my iPhone 4 off of Craigslist. Just make sure it comes with the box and then most likely, it won't be stolen. Also, my iPhone's glass cracked 2 days after I bought it, but I got it replaced with 7 days left on my warranty about 5 months later completely free by Apple so you really just have to be careful.

psblake

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Washington
Wow such an uninformed post. I have sold every iphone I have ever owned on ebay just make sure you buy it from a person with lots of feedback.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I just sold a Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4S a few weeks ago on eBay with no problems whatsoever. And a couple months previous I purchased a 15-inch MacBook Pro on eBay as well. You just have to be smart when doing business on these sites, or anywhere really.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Life is a series of Calculated Risks. If u want 100% safe, never get out of the home etc. OK.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
Between upgrades I buy all my phones from Craigslist. It's what made my transition from Android to iOS possible when I purchased a 4 then my 4S! The big thing to note is that I ALWAYS require the seller to provide the MEID so that I can call in to check that it's free and clear for activation. If they can't provide that I move on.

I feel like if you get burned on Craigslist it's your own fault!!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
http://fox4kc.com/2012/10/12/thieves-smash-car-into-apple-store/

They could say they bought it legitimately, but you don't really know. Go the official route with a real receipt.

And you can avoid overpaying. Be patient.
Thank you for posting this! Your public service announcement is enough to help scare people away from legitimate auctions on eBay... which means lower winning bids for the rest of us. :D

Fear-mongering trumping common sense FTW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.