Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Thumbs up 50 reasons the Galaxy S3 is better than the iPhone 5

b24pgg is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:12 AM   #2
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
God just watching how choppy the S3 was in that video gave me a headache.
Not sure if trolling. At exactly what time in the video does the S3 appear choppy to you?
b24pgg is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Quote:
it's just an android problem, don't you know ios is always smoother than android. but then again the s3 has some unique features that samsung makes that other android phones don't have.
Androidfan1x is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:34 AM   #4
onthecouchagain
Banned

I'm not even a fan of the S3, but if it was Apple that first introduced some of its features or if it was the iPhone to have it while others didn't, iOS-devotees would be the first to let you know how wonderful it is.

But, you know, if a non-Apple competitor does it first or has a feature the iPhone doesn't have, "who needs it?" or "the world isn't ready for it."

Yet, when Apple introduces new technologies or features (Thunderbolt port, anyone?), they're labeled as innovators pushing the frontiers.

Love the consistency.
onthecouchagain is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:52 AM   #5
diegoesk
macrumors regular

That wasnt choppy at all. Def nothing compares to the smoothness of iOS..

but dayum!

Apple gotta step its game up ASAP... This video really demonstrates the phone capabilities. Only can imagine what they will do with the galaxy note2
diegoesk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:38 AM   #6
cynics
macrumors 604

He said he was going to do one for the iPhone vs the S3 in the iPhones favor too. I'm looking forward to see that one.
cynics is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:13 AM   #7
matttye
macrumors 601

Should be called "fifty features the iPhone 5 doesn't have" , making this video and then a video called "fifty reasons the iPhone 5 is better than the Galaxy S3" makes him seem fickle

That said; double tap to top?!?! That only works in contacts as far as I know, or maybe one or two other Samsung apps. Tapping the status bar in the iPhone scrolls to the top of ANY list. Therefore double tap to top is not an advantage.

He does make some good points though.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Good video, thanks for posting. I saw it yesterday and actually learned a couple of new things
Dolorian is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Dontazemebro
macrumors 68020

Not a fan of the S3 but the video does show a lot of basic things you can enjoy on android that might not even be accomplished with jailbreak on the iPhone.

----------

Quote:
There is a bit of jerking but I wouldn't call it choppy. Mainly just different than how the iphone works.
Dontazemebro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:20 AM   #10
JodyK
macrumors 6502a

Thank you iPhone competition for keeping Apple on its toes! Loving my iPhone 5!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:38 AM   #11
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quite a few of the things the guy in this video mentioned are available on the iPhone. No. 33 - Wireless sync being one.
NutsNGum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:15 AM   #12
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I'm not even a fan of the S3, but if it was Apple that first introduced some of its features or if it was the iPhone to have it while others didn't, SOME – BUT CERTAINLY NOT ALL – iOS-devotees would be the first to let you know how wonderful it is.

But, you know, if a non-Apple competitor does it first or has a feature the iPhone doesn't have, "who needs it?" or "the world isn't ready for it."

Yet, when Apple introduces new technologies or features (Thunderbolt port, anyone?), they're labeled as innovators pushing the frontiers.

Love the consistency.
Fixed that for you.

I'd like to same the same kind of thing about Samsung devotees, but since everything done by Samsung is derivative from Apple we'll never know.

And, yes, I kid, I kid.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:05 PM   #13
OceanView
macrumors 65816

Wow, the S3 is amazing.
Hope these features will come out on the Note II cause I am getting it.
As for Apple fans, guess your gonna be the ones waiting in that line asking yourself, are we getting these features next year?

Keep waiting......
OceanView is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Sensamic
macrumors 68020

A few more reasons:

* Capacitive buttons. Better than hardware buttons. The back button is amazingly useful.
* Video calling to any phone except iPhone. Facetime only works with iPhone, iPad and Mac.
* Better maps app, better YouTube app.
* Background downloads while you do something else.
* Notifications icons in the status bar.
* Ability to jailbreak (called root) easily from day one. No need to wait months for the jailbreak to be released. Ability to downgrade firmware any time easily also.
* Ability to upload any type of file to dropbox, your NAS, etc.
* Download any type of file from internet and being able to use it, like a .rar or .zip and extract its files inside.
* Weather on lockscreen, news, voice commands, etc.
* New Google Now and Google voice search.
* Radio FM. IPhone can listen to web radio, but there are places where 3G is not available.
* Ability to install apps that would never be allowed on ios, such as a torrent downloader, emulators, etc.
* Offline voice dictation on several languages.
* Backups are way more faster to restore with nandroid backup. Works just like an iTunes backup, but takes only 12 minutes for me.
* My 48 GB version cost me 300€ less than what the 16GB iPhone 5 costs. 16GB plus 32GB micro SD. I just can't understand how a 16GB phone can cost 669€ unlocked and 599€ on contract with my voice and data plan.

Nice things, but the phone is too big!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:50 PM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

wow and people complain about iPhone sheep....
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:25 PM   #16
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
And rightfully so.

You just don't get the same level of intellectual dishonesty from Android-fans as you do iOS-fans. How many times have we heard the phrase "it just works" uttered? Too many.

Android fans will rise to the occasion to address whatever myths and obfuscations that Android-haters will say about the platform, but beyond that, they tend to talk more candidly and honestly about the shortcomings of Android (I myself have discussed many times the pitfalls of Android, even with Jelly Bean). You just don't see this level of honesty from iOS-devotees.

And the worse thing? These iOS-devotees don't realize just how detrimental they are to not just painting a realistic picture of Apple, but to Apple themselves. We now know that Apple actually pays close attention to consumers when it comes to their products. It's more important now than ever to talk honestly their shortcomings. To some degree, they are listening.

All the while, real Apple fans (of which, there are a few here) who are able to admit and discuss their problems, and able to say 'no' to their products are the ones really trying to have Apple improve. There are some of us who recognize that iOS can be better (and obviously so thanks to the jailbreak community). It's silly that we have to convince a vast majority of others first that there is even a need to have such a discussion. If anybody, it's Apple fans that should be the first to point out shortcomings.

Is Samsung starting to have their own "sheep"? I actually think so. But to suggest they're at the same level of iPhone-sheep is reaching.

Last edited by onthecouchagain; Oct 13, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
onthecouchagain is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:36 PM   #17
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
Wow, the S3 is amazing.
Hope these features will come out on the Note II cause I am getting it.
As for Apple fans, guess your gonna be the ones waiting in that line asking yourself, are we getting these features next year?

Keep waiting......
Exactly! New Tagline: Samsung, for people who don't want to wait in line!

Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:50 PM   #18
1member1
macrumors 6502

Even with those 50 reasons I dont think i'll ever buy any samsung product.
when the S4 will arrive in march they will forget about the S3 anyway so what's the point.
this is the best reason not to buy S3.
1member1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:54 PM   #19
OceanView
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
What are you talking about?
So people that love the features of a non iPhone are considered sheep?

Look, I'm all in on Apple and have been for years but when I see other products that have features that I want, then I look at those alternatives and choose the one that works for me. I will come out and say that something is bad if it is regardless if it was made by Apple or another manufacturer. I'm also not saying everything about Samsung is great either but for the most part their new phones are awesome.

Apple needs to innovate now cause the competition has passed them.
No question about it.
OceanView is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Dave.UK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1member1 View Post
when the S4 will arrive in march they will forget about the S3 anyway so what's the point.
Really? S2 is still supported and will be receiving the jelly bean update.

Once again, rubbish spouted by ios fans. Do people not research what they post anymore?
Dave.UK is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:15 PM   #21
1member1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
Really? S2 is still supported and will be receiving the jelly bean update.

Once again, rubbish spouted by ios fans. Do people not research what they post anymore?
I know it. it will always come after the S3. my 3gs got upgrade in the same day of all iphones.

and then the S4 will come out in march and the S2 can be useless because samsung probably won't update it beyond jelly bean.
how long took the ICS update to come for the S2 ? 5-8 months ? and now jelly bean is like 3-4 months.

come on..
1member1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:19 PM   #22
Dave.UK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I know it. it will always come after the S3. my 3gs got upgrade in the same day of all iphones.

and then the S4 will come out in march and the S2 can be useless because samsung probably won't update it beyond jelly bean.
how long took the ICS update to come for the S2 ? 5-8 months ? and now jelly bean is like 3-4 months.

come on..
Does it really matter? I bought the S2 when it was on gingerbread and was happy with it. I was then happy when the upgraded it to ICS.

I then got the S3 and am very happy with ICS. I know i'll get jelly bean at some point in the future, but im in no rush. If I wanted instant updates I would have got the Galaxy Nexus like the missus.

Why are ios users so impatient!
Dave.UK is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:40 PM   #23
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Reason 51: Ability to record calls. Auto or manual.

Reason 52: Bluetooth transfers and profiles.

Reason 53: Pinch to see all home screens at once.

Reason 54: Wifi settings don't show list of previous connections unless in range on the iPhone. GS3 does.

Reason 55: Only Black and White options. I'm loving my maroonish red color.

Last edited by LIVEFRMNYC; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:48 PM   #24
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
I would have got the Galaxy Nexus like the missus.
I got the galaxy nexus...biggest mistake of life. I had terrible service with it. Like my 5+ year old flip hone gets better reception. Other than that I loved the phone though.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:54 PM   #25
xuselppa
Banned

Quote:
Would this same logic apply to iphones? Why buy the iphone 5 when you know the 6 will have some feature the 5 won't be able to get. Reminds me of the iphone 4 and ipad 2 not getting Siri, when both were more than capable. Now you see the same thing happening in ios 6. With this sort of logic, why buy anything since something better will eventually replace it?
xuselppa is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices