Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Bluetooth is a dud on the new Apple iPod Nano 7th generation. :-(

image.jpg

Phones are too heavy to use while running and wired headphones are too restrictive, so the combination of Bluetooth and the Nike+ pedometer support were the ONLY reasons that I bought the new iPod Nano.

First and foremost, I cannot Bluetooth pair the nano to my iPhone, so the only way to sync Nike+ after my runs is to plug the nano into my Mac--which is a Mac Pro (tower), so it can't go with me, when I travel. :-(

Second of all, the FM receiver still requires wired headphones--there is apparently no FM antenna in the nano, itself. So at the gym, I cannot use the nano to tune into a TV audio (relayed via FM), and listen to it wirelessly on my Bluetooth headphones. Even if I plug in the supplied headphones just to act as an FM antenna, I cannot then send the audio to my Bluetooth headset--the BT icon shows that my BT headset is still active, but there is no way to change output devices in the Radio app. Radio app requires wired headphones as an antenna AND will only send the audio out to the wired headphones, despite the presence of BT headphones. :-(

(NOTE: Music app does let me choose output devices between wired vs. BT headphones, so the fact that the Radio app doesn't let me choose BT is a blatant oversight).

Thirdly, sometimes I like to record an idea, while running--can't do it strictly with Bluetooth. The nano's ability to record voice memo's does not work with BT headphones, even though my BT headphones do have a microphone (e.g. suitable for making calls on an iPhone). The Voice recorder requires WIRED headphones with a microphone. To add insult to injury, the supplied headphones do not have a microphone--I had to borrow the headphones that came with my iPhone 5. It is SOOOOO annoying that Apple did not make Voice memo recording work with Bluetooth, and then they didn't even bother to include the headphones with a mic! :-(

Lastly, the taller form factor doesn't lend itself for use as a running watch. They should fix all of the above and go back to the old form factor.

Conclusion: Apple finally added Bluetooth audio to the iPod nano, but it is only useful for music. It cannot be used to relay FM broadcasts, such as from exercise equipment (and there is no antenna in the nano itself), so wired headphones would at least need to plugged in for FM relay over BT to work. Finally, BT cannot be used for Voice memo recording. THEREFORE, Bluetooth in the new iPod nano is a dud. :-(

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'm amazed that Apple still makes headphones without the mic. What's the point of doing that? I have a drawer full of older iPod only earbuds that will work with the iPhone, until I actually want to USE the iPhone. I threw a pair out my car window after discovering that I had grabbed the wrong pair on the way out the door. It was odd as hell when the iPhone built-in mic was used for the call. Very noisy rubbing against my pants/shirt/jacket. Glad my car has Bluetooth now I am... I never liked using it until then...

Wouldn't it make more sense, in the long run, to ditch the separate product line run for the iPod only buds and just crank out the iPhone compatible ones 100%? I mean, the cost, in bulk, can't be that much different... :confused:

lshaner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
I will just have to wait for some future iPod Nano with the same form-factor as the 6th Generation Nano, but with a longer battery life, increased capacity, and especially with fixes for all of the above mentioned Bluetooth and FM problems.

On the bright side, most of what I dislike about the 7th gen Nano could be fixed in software. Also, a third party could easily make a short, flexible, FM antenna accessory that would go in the headphone jack--if the Radio app would only let one choose to send the audio out to the BT headphones.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Figures the biggest feature of the new nano is done half-assed. Would be nice if Apple would actually put some effort into updating the iPods.
- iPT gets left over components of the 4S and again NO CAPACITY UPDATE.
- iPod Nano changes from a incredibly wearable audio only device to a crippled mini iPod Touch that seems like a device that may have fit in back in 2008 but now looks like a change just for change.
- iPod Classic, can't even get the 220GB hard drive put in there. Let alone a glass screen, bluetooth or HD video output support.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Not being able to use Bluetooth and FM radio together is a huge oversight. Surely this can be fixed with a software update. What is the proper channel for suggesting/complaining about this to Apple?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Not being able to use Bluetooth and FM radio together is a huge oversight. Surely this can be fixed with a software update. What is the proper channel for suggesting/complaining about this to Apple?

apple.com/feedback

olafriis

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
is there any other player that can do this ?
I also want an fm radio receiver and bluetooth earphones for gym….

Well... why not look at it another way. There are just fine affordable BT headsets working fine out there having radio built in. That may meet your needs?

darknessangel

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Not only that

Oh that's not the only thing! I had the luck to find a beautiful pair of fresh Nike+ iPod nano watch remotes ( which I love). And the 7th gen nano has crippled them. First, they work only on the Nike+ app, so you can't use them when not running. Additionally, powersong and voice feedback don't work. I did this with a brand new watch remote.

A great disappointment! Instead of buying a new nano I just bought new headphones and a new sensor for my old 2nd gen.

Apple, you dropped the ball.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010

No software update in the world would fix that. The Nano it self does not have an fm antenna. It uses your headphones as the antenna. Only thing at this point is if someone came out with a dongle and Apple released a software update to run the dongle.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
A firmware update could most certainly allow the audio to go to a Bluetooth device and use plugged-in headphones as an antennae.

keweenawbee

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
after six months of use

I have been using the 7th gen nano for over six months and really have no issues. I understand it can't be everything to everybody but this is how I use it. I use a polar bluetooth HRM that links perfectly with both my Nano 7th gen and my Precor treadmill. When running outside I use the new Viiiiva HRM to link perfectly with both my Nano 7th and my Garmin 110 GPS watch. In both instances I have verification by either the precor or the garmin's distance readouts for calibration of the Nano's podmeter at end-of-run so I can synch with the Nike+ online progress. When at home on the treadmill I no longer need to use my earpods as I link the Nano's audio output to my home audio system through the Belkin HD bluetooth so I get both the music and the verbal prompts during the exercise routine. My only huge complaint is the lack of a clip...they sure missed the boat on that one. I actually have to shove the Nano into my flexible exercise belt at the start of each run and dig it out at the end...big hassle.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
No software update in the world would fix that. The Nano it self does not have an fm antenna. It uses your headphones as the antenna. Only thing at this point is if someone came out with a dongle and Apple released a software update to run the dongle.
Does any phone, iPod, zune etc have FM to Bluetooth, or that don't use the headphones as the antenna? I'm not aware of any.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Does any phone, iPod, zune etc have FM to Bluetooth, or that don't use the headphones as the antenna? I'm not aware of any.

There's no reason it can't be made to use plugged-in headphones as the antennae while sending the audio out over Bluetooth. Of course you have to have the headphones plugged in, but there's no reason the audio has to go out through them.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
There's no reason it can't be made to use plugged-in headphones as the antennae while sending the audio out over Bluetooth. Of course you have to have the headphones plugged in, but there's no reason the audio has to go out through them.
I doubt many would want that feature, having a cord plugged in, dangling or wrapped up, and using bluetooth. Those that do... So Sorry

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I see what you mean but there is a way to fix that
Put your apple earphones in and then go to bluetooth and pair with your bluetooth ones. Go to the. Music app and start playing music through you bluetooth headset then go to the radio app while the music is still playing and press play on the radio and it should work-works for me.

The reason why radio doesn't really work with bluetooth is because the earbuds are used as the antenna

browniepodder

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
belgium
@ iPodJedi : you keep on saying that it works, but it doesn't, the moment you pull out the earbuds, radio quits. it seems I am not the only one who has experienced this problem, luckily I haven't bought a nano (nor my friend mentioned in the other topic about this problem).
regards,
b.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
@ iPodJedi : you keep on saying that it works, but it doesn't, the moment you pull out the earbuds, radio quits. it seems I am not the only one who has experienced this problem, luckily I haven't bought a nano (nor my friend mentioned in the other topic about this problem).
regards,
b.

You know, I plugged my Thermodo the other day into my phone and the phone was able to get the local radio stations with just the metal tip (Don't ask me WHY I tried this :p). I was able to use the built-in speaker to play the music from it that way.

I think it would be as easy as getting a a 6.3mm jack with enough plastic on the end so it's easy to push in and out, and then being able to pair your Bluetooth headset with it that way separately.

I'll try playing with that idea tomorrow afternoon actually. We have a Bluetooth speaker I can use.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I had an interesting issue with mine recently. I recently updated the firmware when it came out, and then while running with the Nike+ app, I hit the button to get the instant stats, and the Nano crashed and rebooted. It did this a couple of other times, and I contacted Nike Support and they were able to manually enter the runs, but had no idea what was going on. I did a restore on it, and the problem, so far, seems to have gone away.

All of the radio stations here are either country or religious, so I don't use the radio function. The Nano is a simple device. I don't know if you would be able to plug something into the headphone jack to work as an antenna, and still be able to get audio out through Bluetooth. It makes sense that it would need the headphones for an antenna. I'd wonder if an old wifi antenna could be wired to a headphone plug to allow it to at least get *some* radio reception. Given the physics of radio signals, it might not work at all.

I use a Nathan running belt/pouch to hold my Nano. I wonder if the headphone/antenna would work if the ear-buds were snipped off, and the cable stitched to the belt fabric. It would potentially solve the issue, and maybe spark some enterprising accessory company to come up with the same as a marketable product... The belt I use is similar to this one, but has apparently been discontinued. It's actually this one (in green which is still available), and it would be easy to route a headless pair of ear-buds through and around the belt. If it works with the buds clipped off.

Just an idea...

They had to make some sacrifices on this device to get it out the door. Some were warranted, others weren't. We live with them, or eBay... I liked the Shuffle Stick and most other people hated it. Ehh, we are all different. It's what makes things so cool...

lroefs

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
Ipod Nano 7th Generation

I have the same problem not being able to use bluetooth headset. I went back to my Ipod Nano 5th generation. I was able to find a bluetooth dongle for it and I plug any stereo cord in the headset location and I can use my bluetooth headset. Ipod nano 7 is just one big disappointment and not worth the money. Generation 5 is still the best.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I have the same problem not being able to use bluetooth headset. I went back to my Ipod Nano 5th generation. I was able to find a bluetooth dongle for it and I plug any stereo cord in the headset location and I can use my bluetooth headset. Ipod nano 7 is just one big disappointment and not worth the money. Generation 5 is still the best.

I used to have a way to make the radio work with bluetooth but I forget now...I'll check it out and post if I can get my nano 7 to do it again.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
- Put your Apple earphones in and then go to bluetooth and pair with your bluetooth ones.
- Go to the Music app and start playing music through your bluetooth headset.
- Go to the Radio app while the music is still playing and press play on the radio and it should work.

Can anyone verify if that actually works?
I'm thinking of getting a 7th gen Nano to use with BT headphones however if I can't tune into the radio using that method then I'll forego that idea.

Thanks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.