Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jf1450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
My wifes iPhone 4 is upgrade eligible in a week and I want to order her an IP5 as a Christmas present. I'll be ordering from Apple, we're with Verizon. Even though I expect it to take a month to arrive it should still be delivered at least a month before Christmas which leads to a couple questions.

Is there a maximum time period within which it needs to be activated?
If she should have any problems with it, is there a max period of time she'd have to get it exchanged? We have an Apple Store about 45 minutes from us.

Thanks!

-jeff

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
My wifes iPhone 4 is upgrade eligible in a week and I want to order her an IP5 as a Christmas present. I'll be ordering from Apple, we're with Verizon. Even though I expect it to take a month to arrive it should still be delivered at least a month before Christmas which leads to a couple questions.

If she should have any problems with it, is there a max period of time she'd have to get it exchanged? We have an Apple Store about 45 minutes from us.

Thanks!

-jeff

I don't know if you can exchange it since you ordered it online, you might be able to. But there is no time limit, at least I believe it isn't. Her contract will reset the moment the phone is turned on if you're using an upgrade to get it. If you pay full price then there isn't a time limit since technically the phone is yours and only yours.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
I ordered my two iPhone 5 64G black on 10.09.2012 and both arrived on 10.12.2012 through AT&T. Employee states perhaps the reason our phones arrived sooner than if I had ordered the 16GB or 32GB is there my not be much demand for the 64GB model. AT&T's agreement indicates that if product is not activated within 7 days, AT&T will automatically do it for you leaving your older device inoperable. Also their return/exchange policy is 30 days I think with a restocking fee.

I do not know what Verizon's policy is but certainly check with your carrier.

jf1450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
AT&T's agreement indicates that if product is not activated within 7 days, AT&T will automatically do it for you.

Ewwww, that would sure bite the big one. Guess I'll give Verizon a call and see what they've got to say. I'd think this would be a common thing around the holidays.

Thanks for the replies!

-jeff

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010

Thanks!

-jeff
I know with AT&T you're able to cross upgrade (using someone else's upgrade to buy the iphone at the discounted price). I did this personally a couple times hehe -- i.e. I upgraded my mom's eligible line, but then sold off the iphone 5.

my speculations about Verizon:
1) buy iphone 5 with her eligible upgrade
2) when it arrives, don't open it just yet, but go straight to Verizon.
3) ask them to transfer the line back to her existing phone -- thus, no line is attached to the iphone 5, and she keeps on using her phone without any suspicion
4) wrap up the iphone 5 (still new/sealed) and gift it for Christmas :)
5) after Christmas, go back to Verizon to have her line transferred to iphone 5?

call Verizon and see this scenario is possible?

jf1450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Thought I'd close the loop for anybody else that may be in the same situation and is with Verizon. I had an online chat with a Verizon rep this morning and have an email transcript.

There is not a certain time in which the phone needs to be activated. So, that is a non-problem.

The Verizon "14 day worry-free guarantee" would expire so we couldn't use that. But, since I'll be ordering from Apple and not Verizon that too is a non-issue. If we did have a problem with it we'd take it to the Apple Store.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

-jeff

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I don't know if you can exchange it since you ordered it online, you might be able to. But there is no time limit, at least I believe it isn't. Her contract will reset the moment the phone is turned on if you're using an upgrade to get it. If you pay full price then there isn't a time limit since technically the phone is yours and only yours.

That's some ****** information bro

----------

When you order the iPhone the upgrade will reset right then. Apple has 30 days returns/exchange policy from the day of receipt. So, technically your wife won't be able to return it if you get the phone at least 1 month before Christmas. However if she has any problem with the phone she can get it exchanged with AppleCare that is included with every iPhone for a year. But the problem with that is it has to be a SOLID issue you HAVE to show the guy at apple the problem or most likely they won't exchange it. Also, No you won't be having any trouble activating it.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon

----------

When you order the iPhone the upgrade will reset right then. Apple has 30 days returns/exchange policy from the day of receipt. So, technically your wife won't be able to return it if you get the phone at least 1 month before Christmas. However if she has any problem with the phone she can get it exchanged with AppleCare that is included with every iPhone for a year. But the problem with that is it has to be a SOLID issue you HAVE to show the guy at apple the problem or most likely they won't exchange it. Also, No you won't be having any trouble activating it.

I think the upgrade resets when you turn it on. Because you can still use your phone until you turn the iPhone on but after a certain period of time they will just activate it for you since they don't want you having a $700 phone for only $199

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I think the upgrade resets when you turn it on. Because you can still use your phone until you turn the iPhone on but after a certain period of time they will just activate it for you since they don't want you having a $700 phone for only $199

That's not true. It resets when you order it they want you to stay with them I even if you don't activate the phone you're already locked in contract. Also they have no right to activate your phone you can call Verizon and I am 100% sure they will tell you what I just said

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
That's not true. It resets when you order it they want you to stay with them I even if you don't activate the phone you're already locked in contract. Also they have no right to activate your phone you can call Verizon and I am 100% sure they will tell you what I just said

you just said it resets when you order it but then you said they can't activate it.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY

----------

Do you know if the 30 day warranty begins on the pre-order date or the date the customer actually received the phone?

jf1450

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
[/COLOR]So, technically your wife won't be able to return it if you get the phone at least 1 month before Christmas. However if she has any problem with the phone she can get it exchanged with AppleCare that is included with every iPhone for a year. But the problem with that is it has to be a SOLID issue you HAVE to show the guy at apple the problem or most likely they won't exchange it. Also, No you won't be having any trouble activating it.

A solid problem is the only reason we'd return it. Color isn't an issue and I'll probably spring for 64G so she won't have reason to wish she had more storage room. A knick or knicks on the sides would be hidden by a case. Not concerned about a rattle when shaking the beejesus out of it cuz my year old 4S does that and it works like a champ. Now, if it fell out of the box in pieces that'd be a different story. But I'll at least shake the box when it arrives just in case :) Thanks!

-j

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Do you know if the 30 day warranty begins on the pre-order date or the date the customer actually received the phone?

From the day you receive it

----------

A solid problem is the only reason we'd return it. Color isn't an issue and I'll probably spring for 64G so she won't have reason to wish she had more storage room. A knick or knicks on the sides would be hidden by a case. Not concerned about a rattle when shaking the beejesus out of it cuz my year old 4S does that and it works like a champ. Now, if it fell out of the box in pieces that'd be a different story. But I'll at least shake the box when it arrives just in case :) Thanks!

-j

Lol no problem I hope your wife will appreciate the gift.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.