Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:10 PM   #1
doubledee
macrumors 6502

Where in FileZilla?

I installed FileZilla last night on my MBP.

It said the installation was successful, but when I go into Applications, it is nowhere to be found?!

Then I tried reinstalling it, but got some error - maybe because it was indeed already installed?!

I have never seen anything like this before!!!

What is going on?

Should I be worried that I do indeed have demons in my Mac???

Debbie
doubledee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:14 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
I installed FileZilla last night on my MBP.

It said the installation was successful, but when I go into Applications, it is nowhere to be found?!
Did you try searching for it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 12.15.12 PM.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	529909
Quote:
Should I be worried that I do indeed have demons in my Mac??? :eek
Absolutely not. When something doesn't work as expected on your Mac, malware or "demons" is the least likely possibility. Most Mac users never encounter malware, so it's a good idea to forget that Windows-based method of approaching problems, suspecting malware as a first option.

Instead, when something happens on your Mac that you don't want or expect, turn your attention to basic troubleshooting to determine the cause.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:24 PM   #3
doubledee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Did you try searching for it?
Attachment 529909
Of course I did!

Couldn't find anything.

I assume FileZilla would go in the Applications directory, no?

Quote:
Absolutely not. When something doesn't work as expected on your Mac, malware or "demons" is the least likely possibility. Most Mac users never encounter malware, so it's a good idea to forget that Windows-based method of approaching problems, suspecting malware as a first option.

Instead, when something happens on your Mac that you don't want or expect, turn your attention to basic troubleshooting to determine the cause.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
Yep, I did all of that two years ago when I bought this MBP.

My MBP should be rock-solid, however, I always get queasy installing software because most software companies/developers are morons and don't provide checksums...

So, any ideas what happened to FileZilla?? (I downloaded it off of SourceForge because that is where Mozilla.org sent me...)

Debbie
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:29 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Of course I did!

Couldn't find anything.

I assume FileZilla would go in the Applications directory, no?
That's the most common place for apps to be installed, but if you searched your entire computer and didn't find it, that means it's not installed. There may have been a problem during the installation process that prevented completion.
Quote:
My MBP should be rock-solid, however, I always get queasy installing software because most software companies/developers are morons and don't provide checksums...
If you only install software from reputable sites, it's extremely unlikely that you'll have any malware problems from apps you install, even without checksums.
Quote:
So, any ideas what happened to FileZilla?? (I downloaded it off of SourceForge because that is where Mozilla.org sent me...)
Why not try downloading it from the source? https://filezilla-project.org
I always prefer downloading from the developer site, whenever possible.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:41 PM   #5
doubledee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Why not try downloading it from the source? https://filezilla-project.org
I always prefer downloading from the developer site, whenever possible.
That where I went last night, and it take you here ultimately...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/file...ownload?nowrap

Just tried it again, and this time it seems to have worked.

Hmmm...

Thanks,

Debbie
Old Today, 09:54 AM   #6
MCSN
macrumors member

if the program is incompatible with your OS for any reason it will not install it, and you will not find it.

for example for the rMBP I would not be able to install nor find printopia.
MCSN is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help