Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
My brother owns an iPad, he lets me use it when he goes to work, after a few months of using it, i got bored.
I got bored because iOS doesn't have customization like Android. Everytime i want to turn on wifi or bluetooth when i'm using an app, i have to (1) use 4 fingers pinch out to go to home screen (2) tap settings (3) tap wifi (4) turn on wifi (5) use 4 fingers slide up to show the app switcher (6) tap the app icon to go back to the app.
and of course there are other ********** limitations in iOS.

one so-so-great thing iOS has is the app store, there are many apps optimized for ipad, it looks great on the ipad, there are many games too. and many websites are also optimized for ipad

but because i got too bored with it, especially with the ipad keyboard, it sucks, it's painful to type, so i bought a TF300 (an android tablet, not sure if you even knows it lol). of course i like its customization a lot, i can almost change/customize anything i see: from lockscreen to home screen, keyboard, status bar, notification center. the first app i downloaded was swiftkey to replace the default keyboard, it's so much easier to type. and it also has a widescreen, making watching videos awesome,

then comes the google play store, there are many apps available for android, yeah there are, but for phones, not tablets. for example the rdio app looked great on the ipad before now i'm seeing the phone version showing on my android tab. 1 lucky thing is the way android zoom the app is not like ios, it's not like you press "2x" on the ipad, it's better, it knows how to scale well, but way worse than the one i see on the ipad, too much white space.
there are some apps optimized for android tabs, but not too much. games for example: some games won't even run, and graphics are not good as ipad's games
the same thing for websites, making browsing experience painful

anyway i'm keeping my TF300, these days i use it for videos, news, so it's ok, sometimes not good but not too bad, i don't play games too much, when i do i have riptide gp optimized for tegra 3 chip (thankfully, it's better than riptide gp on the ipad and it looks awesome).

IN SHORT, nothing is perfect, but i didn't know both are SO FAR from perfect. now if you're asking me "should i buy an android tablet or an ipad", i would say "i don't know", really.

forgot to mention my brother doesn't use his ipad at work because he's tired of using it, he only uses it when he gets home for facebook, ebay or web browsing (which the ipad does really good job). he was gonna break it because when he was using itunes it deleted all of his videos on his ipad (because it sync from computer). he especially hates the way ios store files, there's no file manager, it's just in the app. he is not so good in tech, he needs something to easy to use, not itunes lol. he says he's waiting for the MS surface, i like windows 8 too, but i think it's not gonna be cheap. so then again as of now, ALL TABLETS ARE FAR FROM PERFECT IMO.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
My brother owns an iPad, he lets me use it when he goes to work, after a few months of using it, i got bored.
I got bored because iOS doesn't have customization like Android. Everytime i want to turn on wifi or bluetooth when i'm using an app, i have to (1) use 4 fingers pinch out to go to home screen (2) tap settings (3) tap wifi (4) turn on wifi (5) use 4 fingers slide up to show the app switcher (6) tap the app icon to go back to the app.

At least with the iPad there's a gesture for the app switcher, unlike on the iPhone/iPod :p

I'm glad you like your Transformer Pad. I was planning on getting one but ended up getting the Nexus 7 and I'm really enjoying it. I never owned or used an iPad that much so I can't really compare them but I owned an iPhone for 2 years so I'm familiar with iOS and it's limitations.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
At least with the iPad there's a gesture for the app switcher, unlike on the iPhone/iPod :p

I'm glad you like your Transformer Pad. I was planning on getting one but ended up getting the Nexus 7 and I'm really enjoying it. I never owned or used an iPad that much so I can't really compare them but I owned an iPhone for 2 years so I'm familiar with iOS and it's limitations.

are you still using an iPhone? if you switched to android, which one?

and can you please do me a favor with your nexus 7, please? :D
go to http://www.eonline.com/videos, it'll show up the mobile website version, can you watch those videos? (on my TF300 when i tap on the video i want nothing happens, damn). If you can't watch them, "request desktop site" and see if your nexus 7 can play those videos (on my TF300, if flash player is installed, it can play videos in desktop site, but because the site is so heavy, it constantly freezes and does not play smoothly. If Flash player is not installed, then i'll see nothing except the title, footer, header of the website. If i use another browser like dolphin and change user agent to ipad, it'll show a black box where the video is supposed to play)

what i said in the parentheses is another thing i don't like in android - embed videos - and i think this is a serious problem, especially when these videos play smoothly without issues on ios device.

p/s: so i can't even watch videos from that entertainment news site :(, any one knows any other entertainment news sites that also have videos? (i don't like to read news, i want they "speak the news" so i don't have to read lol)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I switched to an international Galaxy S3 at the beginning of September I think and I'm really glad I did.

Yeah I ended up going to e news then watching a video about Katie Holmes and it asked me to open it in one of my installed apps that play videos (mobo player, quick pic and stock video player). The video worked when I tried mobo and stock player but not quick pic.

Edit: the resolution isn't great. Here's a screenshot

2012-10-14 03.56.02.png

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I switched to an international Galaxy S3 at the beginning of September I think and I'm really glad I did.

Yeah I ended up going to e news then watching a video about Katie Holmes and it asked me to open it in one of my installed apps that play videos (mobo player, quick pic and stock video player). The video worked when I tried mobo and stock player but not quick pic.

Edit: the resolution isn't great. Here's a screenshot

View attachment 369286

weird, on my TF300 i tried tapping the thumbnail, the title, but nothing happened. maybe because it's a big device (10 inch) so the browser can't know i touched the screen lol.

there's an eonline.com app for android phones but not tablets, and its resolution looks bad also. (and surprisingly there's no eonline.com ipad app, they still have their optimized website though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.