Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:24 PM   #1
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020
 
AppleDApp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Moving all video into iTunes

I'm looking for a automator script that I could run to sort through all of my movies and shows.

Essentially I want it to locate the original source of the file.
If it isn't in Mp4, convert to Mp4
delete the old file that wasn't MP4
Find all the appropriate tags
Import it into iTunes

Any ideas as to how to do this automatically?
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:30 PM   #2
DagazaGZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
It's called iFlicks. I have 3.5 TB in my iTunes every things was converted, artwork added, meta tag info automatically. Then deletes original and puts the converted to iTunes. Works great!
DagazaGZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagazaGZ View Post
It's called iFlicks. I have 3.5 TB in my iTunes every things was converted, artwork added, meta tag info automatically. Then deletes original and puts the converted to iTunes. Works great!
Just keep in mind that iFlicks isn't the fastest remuxer / converter around. If you don't absolutely need artwork / chapters, go for the free Subler, it's about five times faster at remuxing in general - or even the latest beta of the $5 MP4Tools, which is about 3 times faster.
Menneisyys2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:38 PM   #4
AppleDApp
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
AppleDApp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I'll give it a try.
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
DagazaGZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Just keep in mind that iFlicks isn't the fastest remuxer / converter around. If you don't absolutely need artwork / chapters, go for the free Subler, it's about five times faster at remuxing in general - or even the latest beta of the $5 MP4Tools, which is about 3 times faster.
It's actually 5 times faster? I'm going to test this out. Will post results
DagazaGZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:47 AM   #6
orestes1984
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Subler will remux a file in about the same time as it takes to copy and paste. Then I use iDentify for tagging.
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
DagazaGZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Ah see, I don't just want to remux a file I want to do a full convert so I can watch on my Apple TV.

----------

So I just converted a 720, 42 min video within 5 min. with I flicks it would have taken around 30-40 min. So wait now I have some questions to. I just tested out that video I converted with Subler on my Apple TV and it works fine. I thought it had to do a full convert! What's this mean?
DagazaGZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:04 AM   #8
orestes1984
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
If you want to do it all in one process then use iFlicks, you can set it and forget it and not care if its slow. If you're looking to quickly convert a few movies from MKV to MP4 then use Subler, then use iDentify to add the metadata.

For DVDs I rip with Mac The Ripper to VOB folders, then send all the vob folders to handbrake then use iDentify to add the metadata.
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Jim.R
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
It depends on the video codec used by the file.
DVD rips are MPEG2 and will need converting with something like Handbrake to something that iTunes will play (generally H.264).
I'm assuming your 720 file came from a Blu Ray rip, and these are normally H.264 video, so you just need to remux in Subler to change the container to MP4/M4V.
Jim.R is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:09 AM   #10
orestes1984
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagazaGZ View Post
Ah see, I don't just want to remux a file I want to do a full convert so I can watch on my Apple TV.[COLOR="#808080"]
I thought it had to do a full convert! What's this mean?
If its just an MKV file you don't have to convert anything, you just have to put it in a new container.

Converting is like making your lunchbox as well as putting the lunch in the lunchbox you made, your reinventing the wheel. remuxing is taking the lunch (the actual movie) out of the MKV lunchbox and putting it in a M4V lunchbox. Why create a new sandwich (H.264 file and sound files) and lunchbox when you can just take the lunch out and put it in a new lunchbox (MP4) if it fits perfectly.

I know your confused right? Well its all about multiplexing i.e. stuffing the movie and its subtitles and its audio tracks into one neat package instead of having the older style MP2 containers you see on DVDs where its all strewn across multiple folders for each chapter.
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:09 AM   #11
DagazaGZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
That's interesting, very interesting. So it in no way negatively affects the video quality?

*edited* skip this part, just got your responce ***I'm just curious as to what's happening. With iFlicks I'm currently converting a 1080 40 min video it says it's going to take an hour. It's currently encoding the video. Now what exactly does Subler do? As I noticed that the converted file with subler was the same size as the original mkv. Seems Subler is skipping a step.***
DagazaGZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:11 AM   #12
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
For some daft reason I just can't get Subler to work.

At the moment I use Converter Pro I think its called and then through iDentify
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:13 AM   #13
orestes1984
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagazaGZ View Post
What exactly does Subler do?
It takes a H.264 movie that fits in a MP4 container out of the MKV container which is useless for iTunes and puts it into an MP4 container that your Apple TV can read.
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
For some daft reason I just can't get Subler to work.

At the moment I use Converter Pro I think its called and then through iDentify
What's the error message? Lack of DTS / AC-3 support?
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:15 AM   #15
orestes1984
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagazaGZ View Post
That's interesting, very interesting. So it in no way negatively affects the video quality?

Yes that's correct, there should be no noticeable difference in image quality because you're not recreating the movie you're just putting it in a container the Apple TV can read. Subler is doing whats called a passthrough, it's passing the H.264 and AC3 files into an MP4 container, it's not converting anything, just putting it all in a container that your Apple TV can read. It's essentially a copy and paste job of the contents from a folder named MKV into a folder named MP4. Before you ask no you can't just rename MKVs to MP4s, there's more to it than that, they're highly specialised containers with specialised headers.

Last edited by orestes1984; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:19 AM   #16
DagazaGZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Wow, I wish I had known that earlier, I'm trying to think of a downside to simply remuxing. Does iFlicks support doing this as well?
DagazaGZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:24 AM   #17
orestes1984
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
I don't use iFlicks so I don't know, but someone should come along soon with an answer.
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:28 AM   #18
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
What's the error message? Lack of DTS / AC-3 support?
I'm not getting an error message at all. I seem to have about 5 queued up to be done. Nothing seems to be converting. They are 100% H.246 files.

I'll give it another go tonight to see where i'm going wrong.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:30 AM   #19
DagazaGZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by orestes1984 View Post
I don't use iFlicks so I don't know, but someone should come along soon with an answer.
K, so I took that same video and I clicked to option to make it itunes comparable (http://support.iflicksapp.com/entrie...patible-preset). And I think that just did the same thing as subler. iFlicks is done now took about 1 and a half minutes, it's added all meta data and already deleted the original mkv and added it to iTunes for me automatically. I'm going to load it up on my Apple TV and see if it works...

And it works!

Wow so why have I been doing it the other way before?

**
I'm going to delete the file and try again and time it this time.

And here are the results:

iFlicks got all meta data and artwork, converted, deleted original, and then added the video to iTunes (located on a different hard drive so it had to actually copy the movie over) in exactly 1 min 57 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	369870   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	369871   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	369872  


Last edited by DagazaGZ; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
DagazaGZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:40 AM   #20
MadTester
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
that sounds really interesting... i've been using a mix of Wondershare and Handbrake for a long time......

I think I'll have a good look at iFlicks... don't have AppleTV but I'm using my old 17" MBP pro (circa 2007) as a media server HDMI'd up to the TV at the moment.. son't see the point in spending £100 on a box when I have something just as good and stable not doing much
__________________
I know what I like and I like what I know...17" Aluminium MacBookPro MountainLion, 8Gb RAM, 320 GB HD, Mac Mini Lion Server 16gb RAM, 1TB HD, Work Unibody MacBookPro 15" 2011 OSX Lion, i7 quad
MadTester is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:43 AM   #21
DagazaGZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTester View Post
that sounds really interesting... i've been using a mix of Wondershare and Handbrake for a long time......

I think I'll have a good look at iFlicks... don't have AppleTV but I'm using my old 17" MBP pro (circa 2007) as a media server HDMI'd up to the TV at the moment.. son't see the point in spending £100 on a box when I have something just as good and stable not doing much
Yes, defiantly try out iFlicks.
DagazaGZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:44 AM   #22
orestes1984
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagazaGZ View Post
K, so I took that same video and I clicked to option to make it itunes comparable (http://support.iflicksapp.com/entrie...patible-preset). And I think that just did the same thing as subler. iFlicks is done now took about 1 and a half minutes, it's added all meta data and already deleted the original mkv and added it to iTunes for me automatically. I'm going to load it up on my Apple TV and see if it works...

And it works!

Wow so why have I been doing it the other way before?

**
I'm going to delete the file and try again and time it this time.

And here are the results:

iFlicks got all meta data and artwork, converted, deleted original, and then added the video to iTunes (located on a different hard drive so it had to actually copy the movie over) in exactly 1 min 57 seconds.
It sounds like its doing the same thing... This is what you get when you Read The Friendly Manual, instead of poking around in the dark
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:49 AM   #23
DagazaGZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by orestes1984 View Post
It sounds like its doing the same thing... This is what you get when you Read The Friendly Manual, instead of poking around in the dark
I might start pulling out my hair, I've converted 3.5 TB this way... Well now I know. I'm going to read up on it more.
DagazaGZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:58 AM   #24
orestes1984
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagazaGZ View Post
I might start pulling out my hair, I've converted 3.5 TB this way... Well now I know. I'm going to read up on it more.
I converted 40 or so DVDs with Handbrake 6 hours each or so at Apple TV3 settings. There is no passthrough option for DVDs it's converting MP2 to MP4. I know what it's like I almost sold my Apple TV to buy a WD TV Live.
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:02 AM   #25
DagazaGZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by orestes1984 View Post
I converted 40 or so DVDs with Handbrake 6 hours each or so at Apple TV3 settings. There is no passthrough option for DVDs it's converting MP2 to MP4. I know what it's like I almost sold my Apple TV to buy a WD TV Live.
Ouch, worst ones for me were the extended Lord of the Rings, each 1080 video was around 20 GB, those took a long time each.
DagazaGZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving my iTunes library with iTunes Match Primejimbo iCloud and Apple Services 3 Mar 10, 2014 08:49 PM
Moving to Android, trouble getting DRM free songs on iTunes (using iTunes match) miamialley Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 2 Apr 28, 2013 12:17 PM
Moving iTunes library w/ iTunes Match daveishere Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jan 5, 2013 05:21 AM
Video editing PC user thinking of moving to Mac? Matt2012 Mac mini 12 Aug 19, 2012 02:27 PM
Resolved: FCP - Moving audio and video together when moving into timeline samstah Digital Video 2 Jun 3, 2012 08:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC