Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:20 AM   #101
adamcal
macrumors newbie

my 21.5 HD was swapped today, I have apple care and got a service tech house call, done in about 20 minutes. (then another 2 hours for the clone to copy back)

I didn't realize I didn't get to keep the old drive so quickly hooked it up to another computer to wipe it.

PS my replacement is a Hitachi.

Adam Cal
www.toyland.com.au

Last edited by adamcal; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: added info
adamcal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:10 AM   #102
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Look on the bright side, the 3TB drive your local computer store installed is more than likely much higher quality than the stock Apple drive.
That's actually a rather meaningless statement. I've had 'enterprise class' drives fail within a year, and I've had 'residential class' drives last for years running 24/7/365. You just never know how long they are going to last. One thing is for sure, the older drives are, or seem to be, more reliable than the newer ones. We had such great results using Seagate drives and then they had a run of 1T drives that died constantly. We switched to WD, and had great results with them, and then they had a run of bad drives. There was a local company that used Hitachi drives that went out of business, and a lot of their customers Hitachi drives started dying.

The key is backup your stuff, and hope the backup is reliable...

I wonder if this Seagate issue is related to their issue with certain firmware causing issues with certain controllers... How much could be the high internal temperatures inside the iMac.
PinkyMacGodess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:48 AM   #103
millar876
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to millar876 Send a message via Skype™ to millar876
Just got mine back from union square in Aberdeen expecting to spend all day cloning it back to normal and apple has done a data transfer for me, all I need to do now is restore my bootcamp partition. Yaay apple
millar876 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:31 AM   #104
jermniacmr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Thats good to know.. Might be buying a used iMac 2011 If we don't see an update this month..
I really hope you do if you really need it. It amazes me how many people want a new iMac yet I'm still on one of the first 2009 Versions with 16GB Intel i7.

I'm an IT administrator and a Photographer and heavily multitask, this thing is a beast, what on earth are you people running? Do all of you work for NASA?
jermniacmr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:53 PM   #105
OasisNYK
macrumors 6502

I qualify for the replacement, still under Apple care for late 2009 i7. They are sending someone to my house to replace the HD, I have a few questions I am hoping the forum can help me out with:
1) Should I erase my current drive (after backing it up) before they take it out? I am assuming yes on this
2) Anyone ever have an apple certified tech do an SSD install? I am thinking of upgrading since its probably the only time I am ever going to have this thing opened up - if yes, did you have the HD replaced or replace the superdrive?

I am a little weary of doing the work myself, I have done plenty on PC's but I don't want to do anything to my iMac that could mess it up.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:29 PM   #106
OasisNYK
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OasisNYK View Post
I qualify for the replacement, still under Apple care for late 2009 i7. They are sending someone to my house to replace the HD, I have a few questions I am hoping the forum can help me out with:
1) Should I erase my current drive (after backing it up) before they take it out? I am assuming yes on this
2) Anyone ever have an apple certified tech do an SSD install? I am thinking of upgrading since its probably the only time I am ever going to have this thing opened up - if yes, did you have the HD replaced or replace the superdrive?

I am a little weary of doing the work myself, I have done plenty on PC's but I don't want to do anything to my iMac that could mess it up.

Just a follow up on this - I talked to the tech who is supposed to install the replacement HD and he did not seem to know whether an SSD could be installed in a late 2009 iMac - I get the impression he may not be the right person to do that kind of upgrade.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:51 PM   #107
obiwan22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertnq View Post
Call Apple. I'm already in the process of getting a refund.
I called them this morning - I'm in process of getting a refund also. They had the record of the HD replacement that was done at my local Apple store, so it should be smooth sailing.
obiwan22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:03 PM   #108
neoelectronaut
macrumors 68020

Well, got a Walt Disney World trip coming up next week so I probably won't bring it in between now and then, but when I get back I guess I'll drop it off to get it taken care of.

Might be a good time to buy a new external HDD as well.
neoelectronaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:33 PM   #109
user418
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
my 21.5 HD was swapped today, I have apple care and got a service tech house call, done in about 20 minutes. (then another 2 hours for the clone to copy back)

I didn't realize I didn't get to keep the old drive so quickly hooked it up to another computer to wipe it.

PS my replacement is a Hitachi.

Adam Cal
www.toyland.com.au
I also have AppleCare on my 2010 21.5 iMac. How did you arrange for the tech to make a house call?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:47 AM   #110
jjp007
macrumors regular

Yes I hope i can get someone to come out to my house to replace mine since it's the 27 in model and really heavy, no way can I carry it to my car, into the mall and up to the apple store but hey if it's my only option I'll have to pay someone to help me because my HD is acting up and runs VERY hot.
jjp007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:56 AM   #111
mwidjaya
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofSanity View Post
took my 27" iMac in this morning at 1030am and they called me at 11am to let me know it was ready for pickup. Have had it running the last three hours and it's as QUIET as can be! Only time I heard the HD was when I started the iMac. No more popcorn popping or the sound of a vacuum! sadly, its still a Seagate, so for the moment its perfect.

UPDATE: just looked and the new HD is the same Seagate ST31000528AS but the its a Revision AP2E
My harddisk failed (disk i/o errors) a few months back and was replaced under applecare coverage.

Just checked now, the current HDD is ST31000528AS revision AP2E. Not sure if this revision will be more reliable, sigh...

Funny thing is, if I punch in my iMac serial #, apple says I am still eligible for replacement program. Well, at least I am covered until end of program in Apr-2013.
mwidjaya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:23 AM   #112
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816

How to verify that your iMac has the affected hard drive? Mine was bought in very first year of the 27" iMac which I believe was in October of 2010.
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:01 PM   #113
jenmiller
macrumors newbie

This is pretty messed up. We had a 27 inch imac that we bought new in 2009. It had 13 years of photos, including our baby's first 15 months, and 6,000 songs on it. We were definitely morons for not backing it all up, but we lost almost everything a few weeks ago when it crashed. Obviously it would have been good to know about the prior issues with Seagate, especially given that Apple has been aware of problems since 2007. We have been baffled about what caused the crash. And the staff at our local Apple store, our local Microcenter outlet and our local Tech Fusion shop all have seemed equally ignorant about a Seagate problem. No one has been able to recover anything. We got a new hard drive under Apple Care but only got an email from Apple today about the recall. Thanks, Apple.
jenmiller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:49 PM   #114
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmiller View Post
We were definitely morons for not backing it all up, but we lost almost everything a few weeks ago when it crashed.
So sorry for your loss - but hard drives *will* fail. (Not "might fail", but "will fail".)

This Seagate issue is merely that one run of drives will fail earlier than expected - not an issue of "will fail" vs. "won't fail".

My home systems do nightly incremental backups to RAID-5 disks, and I copy the backups to an offsite backup disk (have 2, and rotate them).

That means that I have 5 copies of every file (counting RAID-5 as two copies).

Time Machine/Time Capsule backups are better than nothing, but not by much. (...if the time machine/capsule disk isn't redundant RAID, the backups can disappear in an instant...)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:58 PM   #115
vtran
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwidjaya View Post
My harddisk failed (disk i/o errors) a few months back and was replaced under applecare coverage.

Just checked now, the current HDD is ST31000528AS revision AP2E. Not sure if this revision will be more reliable, sigh...

Funny thing is, if I punch in my iMac serial #, apple says I am still eligible for replacement program. Well, at least I am covered until end of program in Apr-2013.
I thought that too when I put in my serial # but unfortunately you are not qualified for the replacement [or covered until 4/2013] like me. I was told when I visited the Apple Store with my iMac that I would not be getting a replacement because they have already had it fixed a year ago and that is considered to be a part of their replacement program (even though they just announced it a week ago for late 2009 imacs). I also spoke to a CS on the phone and they also confirmed this.

Hopefully nothing happens to my iMac after my applecare runs out!
vtran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:15 AM   #116
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by user418 View Post
I also have AppleCare on my 2010 21.5 iMac. How did you arrange for the tech to make a house call?
Aye, I'd like to know this too. I made an appointment at the Apple Store for next Friday, but did make a note that my iMac has Apple care and I'd prefer if I didn't have to carry it to the store.

Be interesting to know how you can get them to make a house call.

Last edited by BillyBobBongo; Oct 21, 2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: typo
BillyBobBongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:13 PM   #117
user418
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
How to verify that your iMac has the affected hard drive? Mine was bought in very first year of the 27" iMac which I believe was in October of 2010.
Check here
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:22 PM   #118
Clothesline5246
macrumors member

Does anyone know what the drive that they replace them with is?
Clothesline5246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:13 PM   #119
Peruvian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miharu View Post
Oh finally! I've had this 2010 iMac for well, 2 years now. I have the Seagate 1 Tb HDD and it's loud as hell, like someone making popcorn in a microwave constantly. I've gotten used to it but I've always been planning on changing the hard drive but I've read it's a daunting task. I'm definitely taking it to be replaced.
^^ This... i hope it will be a lot quieter...
Peruvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:48 AM   #120
Miharu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
^^ This... i hope it will be a lot quieter...
I will get my iMac tomorrow so I'll report then
Miharu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:55 PM   #121
Miharu
macrumors 6502

I'm pleased to say the new Hitachi drive that they put in is much much quieter! Very happy with this service
Miharu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:55 PM   #122
Peruvian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miharu View Post
I'm pleased to say the new Hitachi drive that they put in is much much quieter! Very happy with this service
Excellent news, will book a genius appointment tomorrow..
Peruvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:51 PM   #123
Insilin1i
macrumors regular

Just got an email saying that I can come in and replace mine, just wondering if it's worthwhile since I haven't had any problems with mine. 2009 iMac.
Insilin1i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:27 PM   #124
MattDSLR
macrumors 6502

I just got an e-mail
well done apple
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:52 AM   #125
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insilin1i View Post
Just got an email saying that I can come in and replace mine, just wondering if it's worthwhile since I haven't had any problems with mine. 2009 iMac.
I put mine in for repair today. The guy walked me through the whole process, as well as replacing the hard drive they also take the time to give it all a good clean. Whilst in the store they also ran some checks to ensure all my hardware was still working fine. Will get my iMac back in 3-5 days.

I'd say, do it.

Oh, someone asked if iMac was returned with or without an OS installed. According to the guy in store they put the same version you have on your system on to the new hard drive. All you need do is restore your backup.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion