Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Does anyone have recommendations for an iphone pedometer app?
And do the pedometer apps use data and can they run in the background all day?
I realize these may sound like stupid questions, but I have tried searching and cannot find info.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I use this one. Pedometer apps (unless otherwise stated in the description) do not use data for the actual pedometer function. Pedometer apps use the accelerometer to estimate steps. The app below does track your GPS location and plots it on a map, so that portion does use data.

Moves for iPhone

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Pedometer apps use the accelerometer to estimate steps.
That's what I"m looking for. :)

I've seen more and more articles that mention "10,000 steps a day", and was just curious about how many steps I take on an average day.

GPS-based apps don't work well at my job site, so an app that uses the accelerometer sounds like the next best thing.

I'd like the app to run all day long (from when I start it in the morning until I stop it at night). Not sure there's enough iPhone battery for GPS-based apps to do that? Figured I'd an iPhone appt for awhile to see if I'm interested in the data enough to justify buying a dedicated device, like a Fitbit or Jawbone UP. :)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
That's what I"m looking for. :)

I've seen more and more articles that mention "10,000 steps a day", and was just curious about how many steps I take on an average day.

GPS-based apps don't work well at my job site, so an app that uses the accelerometer sounds like the next best thing.

I'd like the app to run all day long (from when I start it in the morning until I stop it at night). Not sure there's enough iPhone battery for GPS-based apps to do that? Figured I'd an iPhone appt for awhile to see if I'm interested in the data enough to justify buying a dedicated device, like a Fitbit or Jawbone UP. :)

That's exactly what I did. I just bought a Fitbit Flex after using Moves on my iPhone for a few months.

The app I linked you to is relatively power conservative. I'm running it 24/7 (there is no stop/go) and it works. Might be overkill for your uses since it includes the GPS stuff. But the step count is remarkably accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.