Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siq®

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Hi guys,

people are starting to get their shiny new iPods and I am very curious about a matter that has surfaced with the new iPad.
To the ones that already got their iPods: How does it behave during heavy gaming sessions? Does it get warm/hot when playing games? (Specially those that require higher GPU/CPU usage)

Scipod

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I have the red 32 gb and I play a lot of graphics intense games on it; batman, racing, and a FIFA like game etc. I have noticed no issues with heat..

Siq®

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
I do a lot of streaming and it doesn't get hot at all.

I have the red 32 gb and I play a lot of graphics intense games on it; batman, racing, and a FIFA like game etc. I have noticed no issues with heat..

Thank you both :)

Good because almost the same spec-wise iPhone 4S heated up like crazy :)

That's why I asked ! Let's wait some time and see what other people have to say

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Good because almost the same spec-wise iPhone 4S heated up like crazy :)

All cell phones heat up, at least when you're talking on them. It's the battery, radio transmitter and GPS that make it hot. The Touch only has a battery, so I wouldn't expect it to get hot.

http://lifehacker.com/5828090/why-is-my-cellphone-burning-******-in-my-pocket

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
All cell phones heat up, at least when you're talking on them. It's the battery, radio transmitter and GPS that make it hot. The Touch only has a battery, so I wouldn't expect it to get hot.

http://lifehacker.com/5828090/why-is-my-cellphone-burning-******-in-my-pocket
Well my iPhone 4S that I just sold got very warm from only running apps, especially Infinity Blade II. Just playing this game alone made my iPhone heated up in 30 seconds from cold to really I mean really hot. The same was when watching some HD videos. Surprisingly it didn't heat up at all when making calls.

Xeot9596

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
Greetings. I was just browsing when I stumbled on this page while searching for the heat issues regarding the iPod touch 5g. I registered soon enough.

Well getting to the problem. I bought my iPod touch 5g 2 weeks back. Everything was smooth until I started playing high end games like infinity blade and dungeon hunters. The back side started to get really warm and the battery was draining at an alarming rate. So I wonder is this natural? I really don't know much cause this is my first apple product. There is not much drain when I'm surfing through the web but it sure gets a lil warm when I stream videos of the net. Hope for a positive reply. Fingers crossed.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Greetings. I was just browsing when I stumbled on this page while searching for the heat issues regarding the iPod touch 5g. I registered soon enough.

Well getting to the problem. I bought my iPod touch 5g 2 weeks back. Everything was smooth until I started playing high end games like infinity blade and dungeon hunters. The back side started to get really warm and the battery was draining at an alarming rate. So I wonder is this natural? I really don't know much cause this is my first apple product. There is not much drain when I'm surfing through the web but it sure gets a lil warm when I stream videos of the net. Hope for a positive reply. Fingers crossed.

How fast does it drain? 3d games really drain the battery fast so that could be normal.

Xeot9596

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
How fast does it drain? 3d games really drain the battery fast so that could be normal.

It's not about the draining that is worrying me. It gets heated up like crazy. Even the screen. This happens mainly when I play dungeon hunters. Is this normal :/ ?

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
3D intensive gaming:
iPod touch 4th gen - very hot on the back and front-top.
iPod touch 5th gen - basically no difference in temperature to normal usage.

Expect the Black & Slate version to get hotter, especially when left in the sun.

Battery life:
Same on both devices playing the same 3D games.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
3D intensive gaming:

Expect the Black & Slate version to get hotter, especially when left in the sun.

Battery life:

My iPod touch 4 doesn't get very hot on 3d gaming. I can notice it getting a little warm but that's expected.

Deleina

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
I have streaming lots of games. but never get hot at all. Its not possible. I didn't hear like this.

Xeot9596

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
3D intensive gaming:

Expect the Black & Slate version to get hotter especially when left in the sun.

Battery life:

Mine is the blue one and it doesn't get hot with normal usage and normal games which doesn't have that much graphics.
For eg. I tried playing infinity blade 2 today and the iPod got heated up like crazy.
Just wanted to know if its normal :(

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have the blue one :( (should have been pink!) I do a lot of web browsing and video streaming and it doesn't get hot. Unlike my galaxy note (rolls eyes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.