Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cstheman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Does anyone know when apple might start selling a extended lightning USB charging cable for the iPhone 5? Getting kind of tired of holding my new iPhone 5 near a power outlet

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Looking for one too. I keep forgetting its plugged in on the night stand as the phone get ripped out if my hand when I reach over to grab it.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Buy yourself a USB extension cable, female on one side and male on the other side, cheapest way.

Do you have a link for a reliable one? I was using one of these a year or two ago, just a super cheap one I found on Amazon, and it charged sooooo slow and then one day just completely stopped working.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Do you have a link for a reliable one? I was using one of these a year or two ago, just a super cheap one I found on Amazon, and it charged sooooo slow and then one day just completely stopped working.

Sorry, no.:eek:

I myself bought a 2 X 5 meter powered ones on dealextreme to put a wireless USB dongle outside, really solid ones but took 3 weeks to arrive.
Monoprice seems to be good, cheap and good quality.

USB cable length is max. 5 meters, to be on the safe side don't go over 3-4 meters.(As an extension cord for the lightning cable)

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012

was my link invisible?

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
was my link invisible?

Lol actually it somewhat is!

I'm using the mobile site from my phone and the blue (indicating a hyperlink) on "these" in your post is barely visible. When I first read through the thread I just figured you meant to post a URL or picture and didnt. Then just a minute or two ago I saw somebody quoted your post and the "these" in the quote is bold and scrolled back up to see you did hyperlink but that it's barely noticeable. :( and now I already ordered the Amazon one

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
The lightning wire reaches my nightstand but not my bed when I'm lying down so if I have a totally flat battery, I can't use my phone lying down because of the need to plug it in.

Would this work for extending the lightning cable?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...UU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1350230714&sr=8-11

Incidentally, how would this affect charging times? I'm not too fussed as this is to be used for an overnight charge (7-8 hours most nights) but I'm curious. I suspect charging times will be increased?

ZachPA

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
I've heard from some people that these USB extension cords can affect the battery life eventually. Is this true? Thanks.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Buy yourself a USB extension cable, female on one side and male on the other side, cheapest way.

I love you. The shortness of the lightning cable has been bugging me.. didn't even think about a USB extender.. I had one laying in a drawer.. probably been there 2 years. :D

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Does anyone know when apple might start selling a extended lightning USB charging cable for the iPhone 5? Getting kind of tired of holding my new iPhone 5 near a power outlet

Just buy a $1-2 USB extension cable.

Surfnat3mbps

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
Michigan
It's important to note that though this will work, not only will you have connection issues and signal loss over a usb connection approaching or beyond 5 meters, but any extra connections within that cable will also diminish connection quality. Your best bet is to do a search on Amazon or any other favorite online vendor for extended length lightning cable. I've seen them in 15' lengths and by eliminating the extra connection in the cable you should have no issues using it for whatever you need to do with it. Also remember you get what you pay for. Apple does a good enough job supplying us with lightning cables of questionable durability, and with it being their newest connection type it'll probably be around for a while. So don't be afraid to get one that will last. Many high quality cables will actually long outlive your device.

I recommend at a minimum a braided cable such as this https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Tr...=8-1&keywords=Extended+length+lightning+cable and find that 10' is usually more than adequate.

Just buy a $1-2 USB extension cable.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
Anker is by far the best brand I've used for iPhone wires. They have sizes put to 6 and 10 feet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.