Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRM60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Well, last night my iMac took a tumble off a portable stand I use, it was still running when I put it back, but after the fall, everything was in slow motion and I got the spinning ball everytime I tried to do something. I tried shutting down and rebooting and it's so slow it's ridiculous and it keeps hanging at the log in screen. Any ideas on what to do other than take it in to either Apple or a Mac repair shop?

Thanks in advance, Jim

ps-tried a search and couldn't find anything.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The HDD is probably damaged, and depending on what iMac and what computer repair experience you have, you can replace the HDD yourself very easily to quite uncomfortable.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Similar thing happned to a friends MBP after being thrown across a floor by an inconsiderate moron. He needed a new hard drive but all else was fine. May be what is wrong with yours too?

JRM60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Update.........

OK, so last night I'm pretty sure the hard drive died, it was working and then the spinning wheel took over! After trying to restart I got the ?folder and then tried to boot up with the Snow Leopard disc and it can't find the Mac HD at all when it gives you the option for disk repair.
So I hooked up an old external super duper backup on an external drive and the computer booted up and is working great for now. The only thing is that the backup drive date is from about 6 months ago, oops, forgot to do newer one - my fault!
My question is, can I use Time Machine to restore a more current version onto the external superduper drive? And if I can, any help on how to do that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and best regards, Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.