Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:11 PM   #1
jcooper42
macrumors newbie

Loud powerbook buzz.

I have a 12" powerbook that I bought about a month ago.

I usually run it in "Normal" power mode even when it is plugged in, just because it stays so much cooler. The fan comes on occaisionally and if I'm doing something really CPU and/or disk intensive the fan can spin quite fast and make a good fair amount of noise. I understand this.

Just last night though, the loud "whirring" noise is accompanied by a loud buzzing noise. I've seen this before in a desktop PC when either there is a lot of vibration in the case caused by the fan, or if a loose wire is resting just with reach of the fan blade tips.

This really concerns me in my powerbook. I can't imagine what would be vibrating, its certainly not anything the book is resting on (I can hold it in my hands, put it on a table or balance it on my lap and get the same thing).

The buzzing is so loud that its quite remarkable even on the other side of the room if there isn't any noise in the house. My wife remarked on it immediately when it first happened and she was sitting in the kitchen about 12 feet away from me.

Any ideas?
jcooper42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Piarco
macrumors 68030

That is not right at all. Even with my 15" fans on full its barely audible, and the 12"-ers I've had are just the same.... there shouldn't be anything internally which should come loose to interfere with the fans. Could anything have entered the PB? At this time of the year you hear stories of bugs entering our precious hardware.
It definately needs a trip to the Apple store if you live near one, or time to make use of the warranty and get it sent away....
Piarco is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs