Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
AT101ET
macrumors 6502

Least scratch noticeable iPod Colour?

Hi,
I'm getting the new iPod touch 5th Gen in Black, but before I open it, I'd like to know, which iPod colour is least prone to scratching? I've heard the black one scratches easily and the scratches are very noticeable. Which colour do the scratches not show so explicitly on? That way, I'll know whether to get the black or not. I do like quite a few of the other colours as well...
AT101ET is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:38 PM   #2
edlex
macrumors 6502

Aluminum is pretty soft and will noticeably scratch in any color. Just get a clear case and buy the touch in your favorite color.
edlex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT101ET View Post
Hi,
I'm getting the new iPod touch 5th Gen in Black, but before I open it, I'd like to know, which iPod colour is least prone to scratching? I've heard the black one scratches easily and the scratches are very noticeable. Which colour do the scratches not show so explicitly on? That way, I'll know whether to get the black or not. I do like quite a few of the other colours as well...
They all use the same anodization and aluminum so they all scratch the same. Scratches on black are probably the most visible while scratches on silver are probably the least noticeable.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlex View Post
Aluminum is pretty soft and will noticeably scratch in any color. Just get a clear case and buy the touch in your favorite color.
I would recommend getting a skin (not a case).
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
urban.spaceman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT101ET View Post
Hi,
Perhaps you shouldn't be worrying about which colour is least likely to scratch and should instead take measures to actually look after your expensive products??

Choose whatever colour you want but maybe getting a case or a skin for the back in the best option for you.

Last edited by urban.spaceman; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
urban.spaceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:44 PM   #5
ninaco
macrumors regular

I do think that the backs of Apple products scratch way too easily. I bet the scratches show up more on the colored touch.

I'm almost afraid to use my pink touch. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of clear skins for it.
ninaco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:39 PM   #6
iphonedude2008
macrumors regular

None of you guys probably have one. I actually am using one and have been for the past 4 days. The finish apple puts on the aluminum (the same as the MacBook Pro) does not make visible scratches unless they are really hard and deep. I'm using a blue one btw
iphonedude2008 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:57 PM   #7
ninaco
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonedude2008 View Post
None of you guys probably have one. I actually am using one and have been for the past 4 days. The finish apple puts on the aluminum (the same as the MacBook Pro) does not make visible scratches unless they are really hard and deep. I'm using a blue one btw
I have one. It isn't scratched. But, unless Apple's made some major improvements, the back is going to scratch easily. There have been lots of reports of the iPhone 5 scratching. I doubt that the touch will be any better in that regard.
ninaco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Project538
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Project538
I've had my black one naked all weekend (the iPod's been naked, not me). Not a scratch yet, although if it does scratch it won't bother me much. I don't like putting a case on my devices, so I live with the potential risks and consequences of that. As a side note, the back of the black one picks up fingerprints and smudges pretty badly, but those wipe off easily so it's no big deal.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:52 PM   #9
lief
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.spaceman View Post
Perhaps you shouldn't be worrying about which colour is least likely to scratch and should instead take measures to actually look after your expensive products??
Boo Who, The new aluminum scratches VERY easily....it's not about taking care of a product, its called wear and tear.
I got myself a silver one because that should be the same color as the base metal underneath.

Last edited by lief; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
lief is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Esoom
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Esoom
Silver should be the best
Esoom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Ffosse
macrumors 6502

Neither my Slate Touch nor my blue Nano has any scratches after a month. I have a case for the Touch but not the Nano:

Ffosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch