Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Hi,
I'm getting the new iPod touch 5th Gen in Black, but before I open it, I'd like to know, which iPod colour is least prone to scratching? I've heard the black one scratches easily and the scratches are very noticeable. Which colour do the scratches not show so explicitly on? That way, I'll know whether to get the black or not. I do like quite a few of the other colours as well...

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Aluminum is pretty soft and will noticeably scratch in any color. Just get a clear case and buy the touch in your favorite color.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hi,
I'm getting the new iPod touch 5th Gen in Black, but before I open it, I'd like to know, which iPod colour is least prone to scratching? I've heard the black one scratches easily and the scratches are very noticeable. Which colour do the scratches not show so explicitly on? That way, I'll know whether to get the black or not. I do like quite a few of the other colours as well...

They all use the same anodization and aluminum so they all scratch the same. Scratches on black are probably the most visible while scratches on silver are probably the least noticeable.

----------

Aluminum is pretty soft and will noticeably scratch in any color. Just get a clear case and buy the touch in your favorite color.

I would recommend getting a skin (not a case).

Hi,

Perhaps you shouldn't be worrying about which colour is least likely to scratch and should instead take measures to actually look after your expensive products??

Choose whatever colour you want but maybe getting a case or a skin for the back in the best option for you.

Last edited:

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I do think that the backs of Apple products scratch way too easily. I bet the scratches show up more on the colored touch.

I'm almost afraid to use my pink touch. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of clear skins for it.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
None of you guys probably have one. I actually am using one and have been for the past 4 days. The finish apple puts on the aluminum (the same as the MacBook Pro) does not make visible scratches unless they are really hard and deep. I'm using a blue one btw

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
None of you guys probably have one. I actually am using one and have been for the past 4 days. The finish apple puts on the aluminum (the same as the MacBook Pro) does not make visible scratches unless they are really hard and deep. I'm using a blue one btw

I have one. It isn't scratched. But, unless Apple's made some major improvements, the back is going to scratch easily. There have been lots of reports of the iPhone 5 scratching. I doubt that the touch will be any better in that regard.

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
I've had my black one naked all weekend (the iPod's been naked, not me). Not a scratch yet, although if it does scratch it won't bother me much. I don't like putting a case on my devices, so I live with the potential risks and consequences of that. As a side note, the back of the black one picks up fingerprints and smudges pretty badly, but those wipe off easily so it's no big deal.

lief

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Perhaps you shouldn't be worrying about which colour is least likely to scratch and should instead take measures to actually look after your expensive products??
Boo Who, The new aluminum scratches VERY easily....it's not about taking care of a product, its called wear and tear.
I got myself a silver one because that should be the same color as the base metal underneath.

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Neither my Slate Touch nor my blue Nano has any scratches after a month. I have a case for the Touch but not the Nano:

2012-11-13%252012.37.26.jpg

2012-11-13%252012.37.59.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.