Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I haven't found anything posted on this issue, so I'm very curious if anyone else has noticed anything like this.

I've had my Verizon iPhone 5 since launch day, and never experienced any issues at all. On Wednesday of this past week, I was sitting in class and felt my iPhone 5 getting very hot in my pocket. When I took it out I noticed my battery had gone from 88% to 59% in roughly about 45 minutes. I did a soft reset and everything was back to normal. However, this also happened on Thursday (twice), Friday (twice), yesterday and today. Through some investigating on my phone this is what I've discovered:

This issue only happens when I am either, 1. getting off of a phone call and connecting to LTE or 2. leaving a WiFi network and going directly to LTE.

Basically, after I get off the phone or leave a WiFi network, the phone (I don't want to say 'drops' it's data connection, but more so doesn't realize it's data connection. I can't send an iMessage, I can't get into the app store, and when I do a speedtest, I connect, get the ping and DL speeds, but I don't get upload speeds, it just sits. Safari still works over LTE and apps that require a data connection still work. So the data connection is there. If I switch LTE off, 3G works great. When I turn LTE back on, I can't get use data for some things (iMessage, App Store, Weather), but can for others, like Safari. The only way to get the LTE to work fully again is to either do a soft reset or reset the network settings.

I noticed this on the second day this was happening because the weather widget was trying to update weather but couldn't get a connection so it was just completely draining.

I'm confused because I can still use Safari (LTE speeds) and other services. But it's like there is no data connection for the apps mentioned above. Anyone have any advice? AppleCare told me to restore as new (which I did when I got the phone and did again today) and told me to call Verizon to open a ticket (which I did). I don't think it's a Verizon issue though.

THoughts?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I haven't found anything posted on this issue, so I'm very curious if anyone else has noticed anything like this.

I've had my Verizon iPhone 5 since launch day, and never experienced any issues at all. On Wednesday of this past week, I was sitting in class and felt my iPhone 5 getting very hot in my pocket. When I took it out I noticed my battery had gone from 88% to 59% in roughly about 45 minutes. I did a soft reset and everything was back to normal. However, this also happened on Thursday (twice), Friday (twice), yesterday and today. Through some investigating on my phone this is what I've discovered:

This issue only happens when I am either, 1. getting off of a phone call and connecting to LTE or 2. leaving a WiFi network and going directly to LTE.

Basically, after I get off the phone or leave a WiFi network, the phone (I don't want to say 'drops' it's data connection, but more so doesn't realize it's data connection. I can't send an iMessage, I can't get into the app store, and when I do a speedtest, I connect, get the ping and DL speeds, but I don't get upload speeds, it just sits. Safari still works over LTE and apps that require a data connection still work. So the data connection is there. If I switch LTE off, 3G works great. When I turn LTE back on, I can't get use data for some things (iMessage, App Store, Weather), but can for others, like Safari. The only way to get the LTE to work fully again is to either do a soft reset or reset the network settings.

I noticed this on the second day this was happening because the weather widget was trying to update weather but couldn't get a connection so it was just completely draining.

I'm confused because I can still use Safari (LTE speeds) and other services. But it's like there is no data connection for the apps mentioned above. Anyone have any advice? AppleCare told me to restore as new (which I did when I got the phone and did again today) and told me to call Verizon to open a ticket (which I did). I don't think it's a Verizon issue though.

THoughts?
Do a hard restore and set up as new and see if you get the problem.

sdyoyo

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
I thought I was the only one with this problem. Sometimes I would do a speed test, the download works, but then zero upload then it times out. Sometimes my texts don't go throughI would switch to airplane mode and back and it usually goes back to normal. But when I switch off LTE I don't seem to have this problem. We can't be the only ones.

I'm NJ near Philly.

----------

Do a hard restore and set up as new and see if you get the problem.

I did a hard restore and set up as new and the same thing happened, it doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I'm having the same problem at home at the moment, but with AT&T. I think it's because they may be updating the tower near my home. I definitely did not have this problem for the past few days, LTE has become a bit unreliable. 4G on the other hand is great, just not all that fast but it's a lot more reliable than LTE at the moment.

I haven't ran into any battery problems though, just LTE time outs.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I thought I was the only one with this problem. Sometimes I would do a speed test, the download works, but then zero upload then it times out. Sometimes my texts don't go throughI would switch to airplane mode and back and it usually goes back to normal. But when I switch off LTE I don't seem to have this problem. We can't be the only ones.

I'm NJ near Philly.

----------

I did a hard restore and set up as new and the same thing happened, it doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while.

If it's only when you have LTE on then it's either the coverage near your house since when I have LTE on at school my battery drains faster than normal and its about maybe a 2 bar connection. Or it could be a faulty chip. When signal is low the phone tries its hardest to maintain a good connection so that could be it.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I did a restore and set up as new, both when I received the phone on the 21st and today. This problem only just came up a few days ago, but the restore today did not help. Unfortunately, this issue is happening to me whenever I am finishing a call on the iPhone. It's not from bad coverage in my area, my iPad since March has gotten 4-5 bars of LTE and my iPhone has the same, and 3G works when I toggle LTE off. I want to say it's a server authentication error, when the phone is reconnecting to a cellular data network, but I can't guarantee that.

I'm hoping a new carrier setting's update comes out or iOS 6.0.1 if this is software related. But for now, I guess I will just have to keep LTE off when I am out.

sdyoyo

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
Hopefully it's a just software issue too, I already had my phone replaced 2 days after I got it on the 21st for a scuffs. The replacement has no scuffs, and I don't really feel like going through the hassle of going to get i replaced again at the Apple store, we'll see.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

THoughts?

I have the AT&T iPhone 5 and this happened to me as well (phone hot and battery going down). I fixed it with a "Reset All Settings", which keeps your data, but the more I think about it, the less likely I think that was the problem. I'm pretty sure it was Skype in the background that was causing some CPU spikes or something.

I haven't had the problem since resetting, but I also haven't used Skype since then either...

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I remember when I first got my 4s I played Rage to test out the new GPU...and when I shut it off (pressed home button) it somehow kept running in the background...my phone got very hot and drained like 40% in an hour....I opened the MT bar and closed it. It cooled off and went back to normal.

boltman519

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
This use to happen with my ip4 all the time. I would have to remove my email and re add it and call *228 on VZW to update my roaming. I do travel a lot so I just chalked it up to going from city to city amd my phone would just get into A bad loop where it would attemp to connect to the network over and over again and drain my battery.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I remember when I first got my 4s I played Rage to test out the new GPU...and when I shut it off (pressed home button) it somehow kept running in the background...my phone got very hot and drained like 40% in an hour....I opened the MT bar and closed it. It cooled off and went back to normal.

Unfortunately, I have nothing running in the background. The CPU running hot and battery drain is from the weather widget not being able to update. This problem doesn't happen any longer because I know I have to do a hard reset when I get off of a phone call...but that's the problem, I have to do a hard reset when I get off of a phone call.

This use to happen with my ip4 all the time. I would have to remove my email and re add it and call *228 on VZW to update my roaming. I do travel a lot so I just chalked it up to going from city to city amd my phone would just get into A bad loop where it would attemp to connect to the network over and over again and drain my battery.

*228 doesn't work on the iPhone 5. It sucks, and I was wondering if that was my issue as I'm jumping towers throughout the day.

Teddy1074

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
I am having the same issue. I spent 4 hours at the apple store. Here is what we did and still having the issue.

Did a complete restore of the phone.
Did a complete restore no iCloud backup to see if it was a software issue did not work.

Replaced phone. Did not work
Replace SIM card in phone did not work

They do not have an answer for me.

The issue is that when I make a call on lte. After I hang up I have download speed but no upload speed. Some programs works but the ones that have to pull data down like bank apps and weather and other things will not work and just sit there and think. If anyone has any info on how to fix please share. I use the airplane mode to get it working again. I am ready to go back to the 4s.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I am having the same issue. I spent 4 hours at the apple store. Here is what we did and still having the issue.

Did a complete restore of the phone.
Did a complete restore no iCloud backup to see if it was a software issue did not work.

Replaced phone. Did not work
Replace SIM card in phone did not work

They do not have an answer for me.

The issue is that when I make a call on lte. After I hang up I have download speed but no upload speed. Some programs works but the ones that have to pull data down like bank apps and weather and other things will not work and just sit there and think. If anyone has any info on how to fix please share. I use the airplane mode to get it working again. I am ready to go back to the 4s.

Your phone does not make calls on LTE. When you make a call on Verizon, it turns off LTE and you use 1x for voice and then switches back to LTE, 3G or 1x depending on signal strength. Does this happen everywhere, or just at home? If it's just at home, it could be a tower issue, or not enough signal strength to regrab the LTE/3G signal without going in and out of airplane mode.

Teddy1074

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
I am in full lte coverage and it has nothing to do with signal strength. I am right out side Philly and the coverage is great. So there is an issue somewhere and on one can figure put why. It's funny if you are not looking for it you won't find it most apps work but some don't weird

----------

It never loses lte connection so I don't know

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut
I have had this problem since day one. I especially notice it when I start up Pandora in my car (I always stream Pandora and listen in my car while driving). I will start Pandora and it will say it can't connect. I then notice I can access the web, but cannot send an email. Then I run a speed test (Speedtest.net app) and get fantastic download speeds, but absolutely nothing for upload. Switching the phone in and our of airplane mode remedies the problem, but doing this up to 4 times a day is an inconvenience.

I have had the phone replaced, and SIM card replaced. The problem still happens. Verizon then said that perhaps it's just a problem with a local tower, well that's not the case either. I've experienced it at opposite sides of Connecticut, and also in Baltimore, Maryland this past Friday.

I have seen a few threads on Apple's support discussion site, and there are TONS of people having this exact problem. Many have had up to 4 replacement phones and SIM cards, and the people reporting it are all over the country. I'm relatively certain now that every Verizon iPhone 5 is susceptible to the problem, it's just whether or not they notice it when it's happening or not. And again, it's only happening with LTE, never when on 3G for any of the users reporting it.

Before I get all disgruntled and whatnot, I am sitting and hoping that it's something that can and will be corrected with a software update from Apple soon. My guess is that sometime between this Tuesday's Apple event and the launch of their new iPads, they will release something like an iOS 6.0.1 update that will hopefully fix it.

Here's to hoping.

Last edited:

trixnrice

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
have the same issue every so often in those exact situations. i turn data off then back on in settings and lte data reconnects again. a lil annoying. but oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.