Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grandmaster B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Feel like it's a dumb question, but I can not for the life of me find where to set auto arranging files/folders in Mountain Lion. Having to constantly hit "Clean up by name" in my downloads folder for example which constantly has stuff coming in and out of it sucks.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Mine shows "Arrange by" in the contextual menu, and then holding Option shifts it to "Sort by." Maybe this is what you're looking for?

Dustmajesty

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
Ugh

I'm having the same issue. It seems that even when I set the "Arrange by" to name, it still doesn't automatically arrange them. When I drag something new into the folder it still just drops in right where I drag it to, and if I hit back and open the folder again, it's still in the same place.:confused:

Last edited:

mindlessmissy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
In Show View Options , mine is set up like shown in the attached pic and it sorts automatically by name ...

30s7bj5.png

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Hi,

Thanks, mindlessmissy.

I've been trying to figure this out for ages.

However, I have to do this for every folder I create. Is there a way to the whole Finder to auto sort everything at once?

mindlessmissy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Hi,

However, I have to do this for every folder I create. Is there a way to the whole Finder to auto sort everything at once?

Just hit the "Use as Defaults" button on the bottom of the "Show View Options" popout to make it universal for every finder window ... :)

garciausmc

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
Just hit the "Use as Defaults" button on the bottom of the "Show View Options" popout to make it universal for every finder window ... :)

I'm a recent Windows switcher and this was bugging the crap out of me! Even though I didn't ask the question, thanks for the answer! Awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.