Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
On the grandfathered unlimited data plan from verizon is it possible to easily add and remove the hotspot ($30) functionality from the phone? Say, If I go on a trip for 3 days only and want the hotspot functionality, through the phone/online, is it possible to add in the hotspot, and then remove it, just as I would if I were using the iPad 3? Or would I have to make a call to customer service?

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
On the grandfathered unlimited data plan from verizon is it possible to easily add and remove the hotspot ($30) functionality from the phone? Say, If I go on a trip for 3 days only and want the hotspot functionality, through the phone/online, is it possible to add in the hotspot, and then remove it, just as I would if I were using the iPad 3? Or would I have to make a call to customer service?

For AT&T they switch You with a different plan

aw2575

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I chatted with Verizon about this last week, and they told me it would change my plan and I would no longer have unlimited.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
So AT&T or Verizon, it all comes down to the same thing. You lose your Unlimited plan if you want to be able to tether?

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
So AT&T or Verizon, it all comes down to the same thing. You lose your Unlimited plan if you want to be able to tether.

I thought you could add unlimited hotspot with VZW because of FCC ruling.

If that's the case with VZW wait for a jailbreak for the 5.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
(Verizon) If you have 4G you can add/remove unlimited tethering anytime you want through the iOS app. $30/mo

If you have unlimited 3G you can add/remove a 2GB tethering plan anytime you wish through the iOS app. This is billed independently of your unlimited 3G data. $20/mo

Both are features that are added to your line. Neither affect the unlimited data feature on the line.

If you have Share Everything, tethering is built in and runs off your shared data pool. No changes required.

(AT&T) Tethering and data are the same feature. To switch on tethering you must change your data plan as they're part of the same feature. On their site they will show something like:

X GB of data for iPhone 5 LTE
X GB of data for iPhone 5 LTE with tethering

You get to add either or, never both.

Hope this clears it up.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
After 4 years, I gave up my grandfathered Unlimited data plan with AT&T last Monday, when I decided that saving $$$ monthly on my bundled home, internet and wireless plan was the most important thing to me. I asked about tethering being included with Mobile Share & verified that it was. It was unavailable to me with my Unlimited plan.

I don't know about Verizon because I've always been with AT&T.

Jay A whY

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
I have Verizon's unlimited LTE data plan and the option for mobile hotspot is there to add and remove anytime without losing your unlimited LTE plan.. I've removed and added that feature several times and never once did I lose my unlimited data plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.