Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I feel that the tentpole features for iOS6 both bombed. iOS Maps is no longer referred to (by Apple) as “the most beautiful, powerful mapping service ever” and Passbook's real world use hasn't really become the kind of industry changing application that Apple was promoting.

The rest of iOS6 is a series of adjustments that don't really amount to a major OS update.

This whole OS seems to lack the focus and attention to detail that Apple has been known for in previous iterations. It's as if they were too busy working on something else.

I think Scott Forstall has pulled the bulk of his team into working on the next big OS and left a smaller team to address this maintenance update that is iOS6. It no doubt takes more than the single year cycle for the iOS team to re-write the OS from the bottom up to look and feel brand new and to adjust to the new realities of what consumers want in a smartphone.

iOS7 will probably bring into coherence the changes that Apple has been making since iPhone OS 1.0. Right now the home screen, Siri, Notifications Centre, and Passbook all feel separate, as if they were added in (they were). But one thing is clear: the original idea of a bunch of icons on a home screen is no longer the only way or even the main way that people are interacting with their iPhones.

- Siri has the potential to become the main user interface with the assistance of the touch UI. For the silent types, Siri could become integrated into the Search screen. Just start typing your instructions and SilentSiri™ will respond. When in the search screen, Siri would listen for her name should you decide to speak. This would be a great driving mode where calling up Siri would mean you just have to ask for something by calling her name.

- App Store with Apps, Services and Widgets. Some apps are single purpose or would work better if integrated into iOS rather than as their own app. Some of them could become services, or plug-ins if you will. Do we really need a Yelp app if it can be built into Siri and Maps? Do we really need stocks and weather apps if they already exist as widgets in Notification Centre? Isn't Fandango (or other movie theatre apps) not less intrusive and works better as a service in Siri? Why look for and open an app if you can just ask Siri to perform the task that that app is good at?

- Passbook as a collection of single purpose apps. Following up on the idea from the previous point, Passbook has the potential to completely replace several apps. A Starbucks pass now displays your QR code for payment but what if you could do more? What if a ZipCar pass served as your car key but also allowed you to book a car near you? Passbook has the potential to become a holder for every day use apps that are simple enough that they can run in Passbook instead of as their own app. Heck, if you look at it that way, Passbook could in another universe be the way to launch apps, instead of icons.
If Passbook takes on a leadership role in iOS, then perhaps it could be brought up by swiping from below.

You'd have the main UI elements within a swipe:

- Swipe to the left Search screen screen, you'd have a universal search and Siri.
- Swipe from the top, you'd get the Notification Centre with widgets
- Swipe from below you'd have Passbook with it's collection of daily use mini apps.

Despite my best intentions as a fan of iOS, I can't help but admit that UI with the icons on a home screen are becoming a bit stale. Apple has never been know as a company that sits still and rests on their laurels. Look at the iPod Nano. Look at the entire iPod line. Apple killed both by moving to the next generation before its competitors could catch up to the current one.

I believe something big is coming, and I think we'll see it in iOS7.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
As much as I want to believe, I can't. Here's why:

Leopard: A great OS.
Snow Leopard: A greater OS.
Lion: A bomb.
Mountain Lion: A terrible OS that's arguably worse than Leopard.

iOS 4: A great OS.
iOS 5: A greater OS.
iOS 6: A bomb.
iOS 7: .............?

I don't know how this happens because seriously Apple is hardly releasing anything anymore (compared to years ago, when they updated almost everything yearly with major updates), but it happened.

I'd love it if Apple moved away from the icons, but I don't have hope that iOS 7 will be any better than iOS 6.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Or people just got overhyped about iOS 6 and were disappointed.

After iOS 6, I dont think we'll see something big.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Aslong millions buy it they wont do ****, get it in your head.

Im planning on moving to the lumia 920 before year ends and if i dont like it and return to ios by the time ver.7 is out im pretty sure il find it the same way i left it.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Btw you need to remember "siri" is a mule without internet/data connection :)

iOS really doesnt need much changes, problem is atleast for me that i got tired of it simple; it works good.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I don't think iOS 6 turned out the way it did becuase Apple is so busy working on iOS 7. Far more likely is that they put almost all of their resources into iOS 6, despite there being criticisms about it.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I think you're likely to be wrong, because I don't have the optimism that iOS 6 is/was an aberration. I think it is entirely possible that Apple is out of groundbreaking ideas. I think that Android has been the software innovator for the past year, and will continue to innovate ahead of Apple.
Apple used to have the high ground of better implementation, but Siri and Apple Maps have lost them a lot of good will.
People are beginning to see the cracks in Apple's magical marketing.

I hope I'm wrong though.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I think you're likely to be wrong, because I don't have the optimism that iOS 6 is/was an aberration. I think it is entirely possible that Apple is out of groundbreaking ideas. I think that Android has been the software innovator for the past year, and will continue to innovate ahead of Apple.
Apple used to have the high ground of better implementation, but Siri and Apple Maps have lost them a lot of good will.
People are beginning to see the cracks in Apple's magical marketing.

I hope I'm wrong though.

I agree.

Although its always been Apple's philosophy to do it better than first, I think Android is proving that it can do both. Android is not only applying new innovations but also making them quite good.

Apple needs to go out and try something new.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The same logic could be applied to the iPhone 4S.

Apple had a yearly release cycle every year in June until the iPhone 4S, and when they delayed that release until October, everyone expected a major redesign was coming - the reality was far different and the market was disappointed.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
How insightful of you. /s

Care to elaborate?

The very fact that are insinuating Apple released an operating system less than what they could have simply so they could release something bigger later is absurd.m to what end?

The fact that they may have released it too early is another thing...

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The very fact that are insinuating Apple released an operating system less than what they could have simply so they could release something bigger later is absurd.m to what end?

The fact that they may have released it too early is another thing...

It's not absurd at all. In fact it has already happened. There is a precedent for Apple pulling resources from a project to work on something bigger.

OSX's team was pulled from working on Leopard so that they could work on the very first iPhone OS.

Apple Press Release April 12, 2007:
However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price — we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
It's not absurd at all. In fact it has already happened. There is a precedent for Apple pulling resources from a project to work on something bigger.

OSX's team was pulled from working on Leopard so that they could work on the very first iPhone OS.

Yea because they didn't exact'y have an iOS team like they do now...

Now they can both release iOS and OS X yearly without comprises.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

Right...they borrowed resources and DIDN'T release the software they were working on.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
#1. "Passbook" isn't an app. It's an API for developers.

#2. What "Search screen"? The Spotlight screen? That requires you to navigate away from your current app, navigate to the search screen, then start talking. That makes even less sense than simply holding a button for a second (and never having to leave the current app). It would be a real PITA and would make using Siri totally inefficient.

#3. Siri shouldn't replace apps. It should have an API that lets apps hook into it. Apple shouldn't try to do everything because they simply can't.

#4. You are making things way too complicated with Passbook. Passbook is an API, not a Swiss Army Knife and certainly not an app launcher (how does that make sense?). Passbook is like the Push Notification service. Developers had to actually implement push notifications in their apps before the service became useful. Similarly, developers need to implement Passbook before it becomes useful. The purpose of Passbook is to have one place for all your various "passes" that are now (or were previously) stored separately in different apps.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Yea because they didn't exact'y have an iOS team like they do now...

Now they can both release iOS and OS X yearly without comprises.

You missed the point. This isn't pulling resources from iOS to work on OSX, both of which have teams now. This would be pulling resources from their annual release cycle to a second iOS team designing something that takes more than 1 year.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
You missed the point. This isn't pulling resources from iOS to work on OSX, both of which have teams now. This would be pulling resources from their annual release cycle to a second iOS team designing something that takes more than 1 year.

So your saying that Apple gave us a ****** product so they could work on a better one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.