Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
If you have a grandfathered unlimited plan and want to get the iPhone 5 at unsubsidized pricing, is it possible to buy it from an Apple store? Could you do it at the Apple Store online or do you have to go to a physical box location? Or would I have to go buy it at a Verizon store?

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
If you have a grandfathered unlimited plan and want to get the iPhone 5 at unsubsidized pricing, is it possible to buy it from an Apple store? Could you do it at the Apple Store online or do you have to go to a physical box location? Or would I have to go buy it at a Verizon store?

You can buy it from an Apple Store/Verizon/Best Buy/RadioShack/etc.
The problem is getting them to SALE you an unsubsidized iPhone 5. They want their commission money from upgrades/new contracts. I went through hell getting mine the other day.

You might be interested in this: Click.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
So basically, buy unsubsidized from Apple Store is best bet?

Do I have to do any instore activation or can I activate myself from home? How does the process work?

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
FWIW I can't find any store in Dallas with them in stock. It also will not let me preorder on any website online without signing a new contract.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
FWIW I can't find any store in Dallas with them in stock. It also will not let me preorder on any website online without signing a new contract.

That's not true. I was able to do it on the Apple site. Click "Replace with a phone on my current line" or something like that.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Buy it from the Verizon Website or from an Apple Store. The Apple store is prob the best bet and don't care how you buy your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.