Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardenlester00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2009
WV
Hello,

I just added 10.6.8 to my 10.5.8 on my Mini Intel (2 ghz).

Suddenly I get the colored wheel all the time. I try to keep the system "clean" with Disk Warrior and iDefrag - and that helps, but...I can't get much work done - always a "wheel spinning".

The Apple lady hinted that I may have to add memory - is that probably the reason for the wheel?

Is it hard to put the memory in myself? I don't live near an Apple Store and I used my mini daily - a big writing project!

Best place to get the memory (about 2 ghz?)

Thank you for the help!

Dennis

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello,

I just added 10.6.8 to my 10.5.8 on my Mini Intel (2 ghz).

Suddenly I get the colored wheel all the time. I try to keep the system "clean" with Disk Warrior and iDefrag - and that helps, but...I can't get much work done - always a "wheel spinning".

The Apple lady hinted that I may have to add memory - is that probably the reason for the wheel?
There are many possible causes for beachballing, including a lack of RAM, a failing hard drive, an app or process that's hung or simply a CPU-intensive app that's busy.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
In order to help you pick the right memory, we'll need to know what specific model of Mini you have.
Go to the Apple logo at the top left corner, then about this Mac. Click more info, and then you should get a window that has this information in it:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

All we need is the model identifier, such as the 3,1 in the case of my own Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.