Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verysad

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Hi everyone,

After accidentally deleting my iPhoto library (I know, very stupid of me), I lost a few pictures that I hadn't saved to another folder. I used Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery and I was able to recover the complete iPhoto Library I lost!

But then comes the problem... The photo's are all very small (thumbnails) so I can't do anything with them. Is it something I did wrong or is this application just not capable of recovering images back to their original size?

Basically what I did was scanning the drive for deleted files and then recover, nothing else..

Edit: I just noticed that there is an option to check a box 'Save to iPhoto' before recovering, so I tried it in the hope that the photo would be saved to iPhoto in its actual size but nothing happened..

Last edited:

verysad

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Aaah guys I'm definitely not verysad anymore!! After browsing a bit trough the 19.000+ recovered pictures I found a few I lost in normal size! So I'm guessing they are all out there in normal size and thumbnail size (and a lot of duplicates I noticed). It's going to take some time to find all my pictures but I don't care, the most important thing is that I'll have them all (or maybe most of them) back. This is a lesson learned and I should definitely back up more often...

Anyway I can highly recommend Stellar Phoenix!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If you have access to a Windows computer you can try a great free program called Visipics. It'll knock out those duplicates for you.

Set the sensitivity high and have it auto select smaller duplicates. It'll present you with a list of duplicates in rows and let you manually compare the results. You can review the autoselection before deletion, change choices or select manually. Just don't set the threshold too low or it will select similar images.

I'm sure there are similar programs for the Mac but I don't know them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.