Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Has anyone tried out TenFourFox and TenFourBird? :confused:

They claim to be fast and secure replacements for firefox and thunderbird, which are quite outdated on our beloved PPC Macs...

thorns

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
I am using both and found no issues with either. Especially TenFourBird has the exact same user experience.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I ended up switching to Camino after trying TenFourFox for a while. It does everything, is up to date and has built in flash enabler. The only thing that annoys me with Camino is the way it handles new tabs by taking you to them automatically.

If you want a lightweight and fast browsing experience on PPC that is HTML compliant I'd go with Camino, otherwise try Omniweb. Firefox and its direct derivative TenFourFox is getting too bloated for PPC.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Has anyone tried out TenFourFox and TenFourBird? :confused:
I don't really like TenFourFox since it is very sluggish on my computers, I'd go for SeaMonkey 2.13 instead! Camino is my favorite when it comes to speed and stability but it has no real compatability with new stuff like HTML5 - SeaMonkey does (to some extent).

The only thing that annoys me with Camino is the way it handles new tabs by taking you to them automatically.
Preferences -> Tabs -> Always load tabs in background. :)

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I ended up switching to Camino after trying TenFourFox for a while. It does everything, is up to date and has built in flash enabler. The only thing that annoys me with Camino is the way it handles new tabs by taking you to them automatically.

If you want a lightweight and fast browsing experience on PPC that is HTML compliant I'd go with Camino, otherwise try Omniweb. Firefox and its direct derivative TenFourFox is getting too bloated for PPC.

I forgot about Omniweb, thanks. Camino still feels like the fastest browser on a PPC to me. And it's funny about TFF/Firefox becoming bloated. When Firefox was created the entire goal was to be smaller and faster than IE, now it's become so bloated and a resource hog, just like IE was.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Camino is still officially actively supported as well. Though updates remain few and far between it still handles everything I throw at it and is the most stable lightweight browser left on the PPC platform.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Camino is still officially actively supported as well.

Do you remember when the last update was? I don't. It's my favourite browser at the moment as well. It uses the native Mac-GUI and that's the most positive thing about it. Speed generally is fast but playing flash videos is very slow. The only thing that really bothers me that you can't feel safe browsing the web because they rely on a very old version of the Mozilla engine with dozens of bugs and security holes.

I definitely will try out TenFourBird. Sounds good to me as I don't like Mac OS Mail.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Do you remember when the last update was? I don't. It's my favourite browser at the moment as well. It uses the native Mac-GUI and that's the most positive thing about it. Speed generally is fast but playing flash videos is very slow. The only thing that really bothers me that you can't feel safe browsing the web because they rely on a very old version of the Mozilla engine with dozens of bugs and security holes.

I definitely will try out TenFourBird. Sounds good to me as I don't like Mac OS Mail.

The latest version of Camino is 2.1.2.

If you go here, it will tell your browser's string, version of Flash and other useless information. :D

http://www.whatismybrowser.com/

PowerMacFan

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
I am using both and found no issues with either. Especially TenFourBird has the exact same user experience.

I use the G4 optimized version of Thunderbird as well as a G4 optimized version of Camino since TenForFox dont allow flash

----------

I like Aurorafox then Omni then everything else

ive tried all browsers ive heard of on this forum and Camino remained the fastestes all other browsers are memory hogs expecially ssince i only have 1GHz macs and the MDD as 1GB eMac has 512MB

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Have never installed TFF, it is either Safari or Camino for me. Safari is sluggish but had html5 support, Camino is fast. That is all I can say.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Not only useless but untrue.

That will be your browser reporting as Safari. If you open up Camino it will display the correct information, you can put any sort of false information into your browser string. It's just the information so as the website knows how to handle your browser. The latest version of Camino is 2.1.2, there was an update some time earlier this year.

Camino reports fine for me even on security intensive websites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.