Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I am thinking of doing a fresh installation of Mountain Lion on my rMBP. It seems that some of the settings that carried over from my previous MBP are occasionally causing some weird issues.

When I originally set it up - I just used the initial set up to transfer my files, apps, user and everything. If I do a fresh installation - and want to set up as a 'fresh' new user - can I still copy over the applications, files, and even things like Mail - without pulling over all of the plist files and the such that may be messing things up a bit?

Thanks.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I am thinking of doing a fresh installation of Mountain Lion on my rMBP. It seems that some of the settings that carried over from my previous MBP are occasionally causing some weird issues.

When I originally set it up - I just used the initial set up to transfer my files, apps, user and everything. If I do a fresh installation - and want to set up as a 'fresh' new user - can I still copy over the applications, files, and even things like Mail - without pulling over all of the plist files and the such that may be messing things up a bit?

Thanks.

Yes, as long as you don't copy ~/Library/Preferences or ~/Library/Application Support, the apps will make new copies of everything when launched. That should be all you need to avoid. To be extra safe don't copy any of ~/Library since you don't know what was wrong in the first place.

Edit. Of course bring over Mail since you mentioned it. You will need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.