Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which version?

• Total voters

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Poll added.

Just curious as to how up to date you all here. Multiple choices allowed to cater for those with more than one device. :)

I have:
Nexus 7 - 4.1.2
Galaxy Nexus - 4.1.2
ZTE Blade - 2.3

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Nexus 7 on 4.1.2 Paranoid Android ROM
International Galaxy S3 on 4.1.1 Paranoid Android (stuck on an older build because wifi tethering works on it).

I'm seriously considering getting the upcoming LG Nexus because I'm the type that has to have the newest updates.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
The big question is what "stock" version of android is available for your phone. Because what you get is people who flash custom ROMs. They are not the majority. My guess is that most phones made in the last two years are on ICS.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
My guess is that most phones made in the last two years are on ICS.

Yeah, ok. I have an HTC Thunderbolt (released 18 months ago) and it hasn't gotten ICS, and it was a "flagship" phone when it was released. What version a device is on is VERY dependent on the manufacturer and the carrier certifying the update for release. I know there are other phones released around the same time as the TB that won't ever see ICS (HTC still says ICS is coming but they're now 2 months behind the original expectation).

I voted GB and ICS as I have an Acer A500 tablet that's on ICS (and won't go further due to HW limitations despite devices with the same processor already seeing JB).

Because of the update issue, my next device will be a "Nexus" device, and it certainly won't be an HTC one...

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Yeah, ok. I have an HTC Thunderbolt (released 18 months ago) and it hasn't gotten ICS, and it was a "flagship" phone when it was released. What version a device is on is VERY dependent on the manufacturer and the carrier certifying the update for release. I know there are other phones released around the same time as the TB that won't ever see ICS (HTC still says ICS is coming but they're now 2 months behind the original expectation).

I voted GB and ICS as I have an Acer A500 tablet that's on ICS (and won't go further due to HW limitations despite devices with the same processor already seeing JB).

Because of the update issue, my next device will be a "Nexus" device, and it certainly won't be an HTC one...

Yes but it supposed to be getting it (not that that counts) the HTC Rhyme is in the same boat.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Yes but it supposed to be getting it (not that that counts) the HTC Rhyme is in the same boat.

It's been "supposed to be getting it" since MAY. Don't get me wrong, if/when it DOES come out I want it to be right but the source for ICS has been out for a year already, and all the more recent phones (ones that came out between the TB and when ICS was released) have had it for a while now.

I went through the same issues with the Moto Droid, which was as "core Android" as they came at the time and THAT had a long delay getting Froyo and never got GB (not that it could have handled it anyway).

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Nexus 7 - 4.1.2

Technically my Nook Color is running Gingerbread via CM7, but I think I might be putting that back to its stock rom soon, now that I have my N7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.