Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drewcole81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Hello all,

I ahve just managed to get, with the help of my brother! my iMac G5 (A1058) up and running again by installing the software, I think it might be running Tiger at the moment.

I do plan on installing Leapard or Snow Leapard on it when I find the best place to get a copy, I've been told not to go for the grey discs...?

The imediate trouble I have is, I stupidly upgraded my 3GS to the new iSO6... am now unable to sync my phone with the iTunes on the G5.

Is there a way without having upgrade the OS that I can do this?

I've been readin gup on ways to downgrade back to 5.1.1 on the phone but without the SHSH Blobs I won't be able to do this, which I haven't got!

Any pointers or advice would be great.

Drew.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Hello all,

I ahve just managed to get, with the help of my brother! my iMac G5 (A1058) up and running again by installing the software, I think it might be running Tiger at the moment.

I do plan on installing Leapard or Snow Leapard on it when I find the best place to get a copy, I've been told not to go for the grey discs...?

The imediate trouble I have is, I stupidly upgraded my 3GS to the new iSO6... am now unable to sync my phone with the iTunes on the G5.

Is there a way without having upgrade the OS that I can do this?

I've been readin gup on ways to downgrade back to 5.1.1 on the phone but without the SHSH Blobs I won't be able to do this, which I haven't got!

Any pointers or advice would be great.

Drew.

Any PPC Mac can only be upgraded to Leopard. Snow Leopard is Intel only. The latest release of iTunes (to support the iPhone 5 and new iPod Touch) is also Intel only. I don't think you'll have a problem connecting an earlier iPhone, even one running iOS 6, to the last version of iTunes (10.6 I believe) that worked on PPC but you will definitely need to upgrade to Leopard to run it since it isn't available on Tiger.

I just retired my old G4 iTunes server and migrated my library over to iTunes on my Win 7 desktop because they stopped providing updates to all pre-Intel machines.

Drewcole81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Ah I thought as much.... So I need Leapard and the lastest iTunes.

Right.... where is the best place to get a copy of Leapard?

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Ah I thought as much.... So I need Leapard and the lastest iTunes.

Right.... where is the best place to get a copy of Leapard?

Can't get it from Apple any more so your best bet is to try finding it second hand such as eBay. I did a quick search and there seem to be a fair number of Leopard installers - make sure it is the retail one and not one shipped with a specific machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.