Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussiej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Hi,

I have just had an issue come up with a setup I haven't changed in 3 years. Can you help?

The setup is a 2008 Samsung 2333SW monitor hooked up in native resolution (1920x1080) to either a white Macbook (2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.5) or a Powerbook G4 (1.5GHz, OSX 10.4). Connection is with a VGA cable and the necessary adaptors.

When I switched on the Powerbook yesterday the display did not fill the screen like it usually does. There was a 2.5" wide black vertical bar on the left of the display and a 1.5" bar on the right.

I have tried using other VGA cables (so the cable is not the cause), resetting the NVRAM/PRAM, resetting the SMC, resetting the monitor using its OSD, restarting the computers, turning the screen on and off and even rotating the display but none of this works.

Strangely, it works fine on another computer running WinXP (so the monitor's VGA input is not broken) and when using a DVI cable from the Powerbook but I would rather not have to use the DVI input if it's possible to sort out the VGA.

Do you have any idea how this problem can be fixed?

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.