Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
iPhoto is driving me crazy ... before "upgrading" to 9.4, it allowed you to easily split events. Now it doesn't. Is there some way of doing this? I've searched for it and the Apple board refer to Events > Split Events but that option doesn't even exist.

Thanks.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
In iPhoto 9.4.1, first open the event that you want to split then Events>Split Event...on the menu bar.

Works for me.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
It took my a while to figure this out as well as there doesn't appear to be a dedicated button for it anymore, and instead now you have to do it through the menu.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Thanks for the replies. However, the weird thing is that under the Events menu, there is no "Split Event", not even greyed out.

I updated to 9.4.1 but this didn't help.

So what's going on?

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Split Event under Events will only show as an available option when an Event is open .

> Open an Event > select the photos you want to split into another event > select Split Event from the menu bar.

Should work.

Last edited:

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Thanks for this, Cheese&Apple. That does indeed seem to be the case. It's not always clear when the Event is open (you'd think it would be, but it isn't ... ).

I use iPhoto for photos that I take on my iPhone and Aperture for those with the DSLR. I find iPhoto to be really unintuitive.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Glad it worked-out Fujiko7 and, you're welcome. :)

For a while, I've been using iPhoto for browsing and Pixelmator for editing but found that set-up far too awkward. I recently purchased Aperture to overcome my frustration (after a great deal of hesitation due to negative reviews).

I have to say that Aperture is awesome! The unified library makes photo life so much easier with the combined browser and fully capable editor. I haven't opened iPhoto or Pixelmator since.

Just wondering though (I haven't got around to trying this)... Could you set-up two libraries in Aperture, one for your iPhone photos (synced to iCloud) and another for your dSLR? This way you could effectively by-pass iPhoto altogether. Then you could browse and edit all your shots in Aperture.

Perhaps someone with more experience than me could jump-in here and offer an opinion.

Cheers

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Hi Cheese&Apple. Yes, I think you could do that, as the Library format is now common between iPhoto and Aperture. You wouldn't even need to set it up: you could just read the iPhoto Library in Aperture. It's something I was thinking about doing. I haven't done it yet as I find Aperture slightly cumbersome just as a viewer (I tend not to do much editing of my iPhone photos beyond what I do on the phone itself), but as my frustration with iPhoto increases the disadvantages of Aperture seem smaller compared to its advantages.

The one thing you couldn't do if you did it all in Aperture is have only the iPhone photos go to iCloud, at least not automatically. As I understand it, either everything in Aperture goes to iCloud or you have to do it manually, by photo or group of photos. OTOH, if you use iPhoto to import the iPhone photos (even if you only use Aperture to view/edit them) you could set up iPhoto to send eveything to the cloud. You can only have iPhoto or Aperture linked to iCloud, not both.

Cheers.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
The one thing you couldn't do if you did it all in Aperture is have only the iPhone photos go to iCloud, at least not automatically. As I understand it, either everything in Aperture goes to iCloud or you have to do it manually, by photo or group of photos. OTOH, if you use iPhoto to import the iPhone photos (even if you only use Aperture to view/edit them) you could set up iPhoto to send eveything to the cloud. You can only have iPhoto or Aperture linked to iCloud, not both.

Good to know Fujiko7...thank you!

iPhoto sync'd with iCloud for iPhone shots and Aperture for dSLR sounds like the right set-up for me as well. I haven't used the camera on my phone for a while but there is the occasional need. I'll give this a try.

Cheers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.