Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
So my brother's MacBook Pro has OS X 10.6 running on it. I want to install Mountain Lion on it, but our internet is too slow to download it and install it OTA. I have a copy of the Mountain Lion installer.app downloaded on my Mac. Can I simply copy the installer.app to a USB thumb drive, copy it onto the other computer, and install it? Or is it necessary to first make a "bootable" install drive of the OS on the USB drive (say, with LionDiskMaker?). What's the difference anyway?

Thanks for any help

Rob C

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Just use the LionDiskMaker, so easy to use and dont even need to think about anything, it does it all for you as if by magic!! :)

alec6542

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Thanks for your reply. I'm curious though whether or not the first method (simply copy and pasting the Mountain Lion installer.app onto a USB flash drive and pasting it to the other computer, and then clicking on it and installing Mountain Lion. What is the advantage of LionDiskMaker?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.