Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Can the iPad Mini beat the Google Nexus 7? I'm considering one of these as my holiday gift to myself. Features I consider important: Spotify app, maps, voice dictation for e-mail and other applications, and general responsiveness. I'm really liking what I've read about the Nexus 7 and I'm skeptical that the iPad Mini can match or exceed it.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Can the iPad Mini beat the Google Nexus 7? I'm considering one of these as my holiday gift to myself. Features I consider important: Spotify app, maps, voice dictation for e-mail and other applications, and general responsiveness. I'm really liking what I've read about the Nexus 7 and I'm skeptical that the iPad Mini can match or exceed it.

Can the device which has not yet been released and the specifications of which have not yet been disclosed outperform the Nexus 7?

If you don't yet know the answer then nobody here can help you.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Can the device which has not yet been released and the specifications of which have not yet been disclosed outperform the Nexus 7?

If you don't yet know the answer then nobody here can help you.

Well, of course that's true. I'm asking for speculation. Do people think it can beat the competition, and why or why not?

SirAvila

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Plainview , NY

Nexus 7 was a competition ? Didn't know

dpetree

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Florida
Just like with anything else..I say it depends on your ecosystem

I think the Nexus 7 is a very nice tablet, if your from the Google/android side.

For me, All my devices are apple so the ipad mini will fit it better then the nexus 7.

As stated before me, since the specs are not out yet, its hard to say, but i am going to put money on it that yes, it will beat the nexus 7.

but, once again, its all what ecosystem YOU are in... Dont listen to anyone else but yourself.

remlover

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
Just give me GPS capability like the Nexus 7. I don't want to jack up to 350 for a small tablet for what I need.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Could you elaborate on "can the iPad Mini beat the Google Nexus 7"? Are you referring to market share? Hardware spec? Benchmarking?

In terms of software features i think it'd be safe to assume it will run on IOS6, so software features will be most likely the same as with other IOS devices out there. Same story for general responsiveness, it's going to be running either an A5, A6 or a variant type (such as the A5x in the 3rd gen iPad) No reason to assume general performance will be any less than other current IOS devices (in real world use)

When it comes to market share, even if the Google Nexus 7 turns out to be much better value for money and a better piece of hardware, it's got Apples massive market presence to deal with and i think it's easy to underestimate that. Apple have managed to embed the iPad into modern culture in a way that its already synonymous amongst the masses as being a new, elegant style of computing device. When i say the "masses" I'm not referring to the IT/Tech folk like you and me, i'm talking about the other 80% of the world who doesn't care how the stuff works as long as it does what it does as simply as possible. To provide an example of what i mean: i do IT support for the government and look after politicians who are mostly elderly and have never used a computer before, most of them couldn't even turn one on without help. However, they'll happily all try an iPad as they hear its great. if given another tablet they actually call it an "iPad" even if its actually Android or Windows 7 "This isn't a proper iPad is it?" is a quote i've heard more than once. I actually hear about my friends 3-8 year olds wanting iPads for Christmas too, they never seem to ask for a Nexus 7 or other tablet devices. As good as the competition gets, its got a long way to go to get the sort of attention Apple gets from the public at large.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Can the iPad Mini beat the Google Nexus 7?.

Can iPhone beat the Nexus phone? My guess: sales wise it'll be no competition. I've always felt Nexus as a whole is one of most overrated branding on the internet. It has the geek cachet but the sales never lived up to the hype.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, it will.

Hardware performance will be better in all aspects. The A6 (and A5, in some aspects) destroys the Tegra 3 T30.

Software is based on personal preference, but the App Store beats the Google Play Store hands down (and this is coming from a Galaxy Nexus owner).

The only area where the Nexus 7 has a good chance of beating the iPad Mini is on price. Apple's offering will likely be at least $100 more than Google/Asus's offering.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I love EVERYTHING about my Nexus 7, but it has already lost... kinda. While a definite success, soon as the iPad mini is launched it'll be a sales beast, probably trumping the Nexus 7 in weeks, if not days.

I'd love to be proven wrong, however. I'm looking for Apple to take a loss.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
The nexus was the first real tablet to deliver a pleasant android experience, but not without it's faults. iPad mini will compete with it but no different to s3 vs iphone5 etc.

DioFan

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Its hard to say until we get the actual specs. Personally, I'm going to stay away from the 1st gen mini, as it will no doubt go the way of iPad1, in that, a new release will be equivalent to 1st gen iPad and fast become obsolete. Don't get me wrong - 1gen ipad works, but with no retna etc, I would expect the same from 1st mini. As for Nexus, can't really say one way or the other as I haven't used it..

----------

I love EVERYTHING about my Nexus 7, but it has already lost... kinda. While a definite success, soon as the iPad mini is launched it'll be a sales beast, probably trumping the Nexus 7 in weeks, if not days.

I'd love to be proven wrong, however. I'm looking for Apple to take a loss.

I would hope you buy items on usability and what works best for YOU and not on stock sales. :D

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I have the n7 and the ipad3. The nexus does everything the ipad does. The pnly way the mini beats the n7 fir me is the mini's rear camera.

DioFan

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Just give me GPS capability like the Nexus 7. I don't want to jack up to 350 for a small tablet for what I need.

Will the mini not have GPS? GPS is one thing that turned me off to the iPod5 (even though I have one on order) Apps like Sygic & Copilot need not have an active connection for navagation - as the maps are already downloaded. They just need the GPS hardware in the device.

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Of course the iPad Mini will beat the Google Nexus 7 sales-wise. Apple relies on uneducated and ill-informed consumers, of which they have plenty.

DioFan

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Of course the iPad Mini will beat the Google Nexus 7 sales-wise. Apple relies on uneducated and ill-informed consumers, of which they have plenty.

Perhaps the OP holds stock in Apple. Really, would you buy a device on stock options or usability? I would hope the latter.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Android is a barren OS IMHO. It's ugly, and just a total rip off.

I've used both. I also used the Nexus for a while. It's nice but crippled by a weak OS.

God only knows why even Apple haters use it. Maybe Windows RT will be better.

----------

Do you come here looking for a fight?

I love it :D

remlover

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
Will the mini not have GPS? GPS is one thing that turned me off to the iPod5 (even though I have one on order) Apps like Sygic & Copilot need not have an active connection for navagation - as the maps are already downloaded. They just need the GPS hardware in the device.

What worries me is that the ipod touch doesnt have GPS. I'm sure i'm in the super minority who would use their tablet as a GPS. After using my HTC Flyer for months as a GPS unit, it was great. You get spoiled having that 7inch display. Let's hope Apple comes through. If not, I might have to consider the Nexus 7, especially w/ them doubling the storage for the same price...I just hate Android...grrr

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
It depends what you mean by 'beat'.

The Nexus 7 is a really good tablet. And odds are that it's going to offer more 'bang for your buck' than the iPad mini.

Unfortunately the iPad mini will likely crush it saleswise. Which is bad for us as consumers. The main reason an iPad mini is hitting the market is because they realized they were giving up significant money by ignoring the 7 inch market. It's very unlikely we would have seen an iPad mini, especially at the rumored price point, if there wasn't viable competition from the Nexus 7.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
It depends what you mean by 'beat'.

The Nexus 7 is a really good tablet. And odds are that it's going to offer more 'bang for your buck' than the iPad mini.

Unfortunately the iPad mini will likely crush it saleswise. Which is bad for us as consumers. The main reason an iPad mini is hitting the market is because they realized they were giving up significant money by ignoring the 7 inch market. It's very unlikely we would have seen an iPad mini, especially at the rumored price point, if there wasn't viable competition from the Nexus 7.

That's nonsensical.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
That's nonsensical.

How so? As many around here are quick to point out, Apple had no interest in the 7 inch tablet.

And if they had been interested, you would expect they would price it at the same profit point as their other devices. If the mini comes anywhere close to the rumored $299, it's because of competition. People will pay an 'Apple tax' to a a point. But if this comes in priced double the competition, sales will suffer.

And despite what a lot of people think around here, competition is good. I own 3 iPhones, an iPad and 2 iPad touches. But I would more than welcome a viable alternative. Competition spurs innovation and lowers prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.