Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Releases Pricing on Surface Tablet, Ships October 26th

With an unfortunate sense of timing, Microsoft has released pricing and availability information for its new 'Surface' tablet that was originally announced back in June. The release occurred just hours before Apple sent out invitations to its iPad Mini launch event next week.

The Surface will begin shipping in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, France, Germany and Hong Kong on Friday, October 26th. The Windows RT-powered Surface starts at $499 for a 32GB model, $100 cheaper than an iPad with comparable storage. The Touch Cover, one of the more interesting innovations in Microsoft's tablet venture, isn't included for that price; it's only available as part of a $599 bundle with the same 32GB tablet.

There is also a 64GB model that includes the Touch Cover for $699. Separately, the Touch Cover is $119 and the Type Cover is $129.

The Surface is available for preorder from Microsoft's website.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Pricing on Surface Tablet, Ships October 26th
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Wow, Apple sure stole the tablet thunder today.

I would have also expected the RT version of the Surface to be more competitively priced. $500 seems like a high cost of entry for an unproven product with a limited app ecosystem.
GeekLawyer is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
vkramer
macrumors regular

So basically, if I switch to or being with a Microsoft Surface, I will be 100% guaranteed to dance my pants off.

Thats really the only takeaway I got from that commercial.

16 GB iPhone 3G - 16 GB iPhone 4 - 16 GB iPhone 5 - 64 GB iPhone 6+
vkramer is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

M$ steps on itself once again. Pricing offers no one but the hardest corest M$ fans (are there any left?) a reason to buy. It can't compete with either Android or iOS at this price point. Enterprise already hates Windows 8 and loves iOS. Consumers have long felt trapped by Windows until iOS presented them a post PC option. Anti-Apple folks adopted Android. Who's left to buy Surface?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:46 PM   #5
techpr
macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
You disappointed me Microsoft...

I was sad not to see some guy trying to lug a pool-table sized tablet around... damn It's the next big thing!
LimeiBook86 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkramer View Post
So basically, if I switch to or being with a Microsoft Surface, I will be 100% guaranteed to dance my pants off.

Thats really the only takeaway I got from that commercial.
Only if you are posing as Steve Balmer for Halloween.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 PM   #8
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

The surface looks nice, especially with a nice price. Unfortunately, apple spoiled me with the ipad retina display. Now I can't look at a non-retina display, especially a tablet, the same way now. Every thing else sucks.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 PM   #9
MaxxTraxx
macrumors 6502

I would be tempted by this offer, I'm sure it'll be a good device.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:50 PM   #10
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
M$ steps on itself once again. Pricing offers no one but the hardest corest M$ fans (are there any left?) a reason to buy. It can't compete with either Android or iOS at this price point. Enterprise already hates Windows 8 and loves iOS. Consumers have long felt trapped by Windows until iOS presented them a post PC option. Anti-Apple folks adopted Android. Who's left to buy Surface?
Mostly true except enterprise loves windows 7 not os anything
winston1236 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

Hold up one second........120 BUCKS FOR A FRICKEN TOUCH KEYBOARD THAT UTILIZES SO MANY APPLE PATENTS........WTF!?!?!??!?!

EDIT: Replaced "Violates" with "Utilizes" because maybe thats not the best way to put it.

Last edited by Aidan5806; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Miswording
Aidan5806 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:51 PM   #12
FirePhantom
macrumors member

Hearing those clicks, all I can think of is the little kickstand snapping off after a month of use.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:52 PM   #13
imariopereira
macrumors newbie

I liked the video...
I really really feel that Microsoft is going in the right direction now.
imariopereira is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:52 PM   #14
MacSignal
macrumors regular

Unfortunate pricing. It will get better just like when Windows 9 replaces Windows 8.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:54 PM   #15
tann
macrumors 65816

I think iPad 4 will come with 32gbs of storage at $499

Hoping for a 128gb then! haha.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:54 PM   #16
TheRealTVGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
Mostly true except enterprise loves windows 7 not os anything
Really... Enterprise (companies) don't love Operating Systems. None? None at all?

Wow...
TheRealTVGuy is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
As someone in Windows-centric IT and who makes a lot of house calls for clients, I was excited about the Surface for the ability to have a light, small device running (almost) a full version Windows and Office. At this price point, I'll just wait until Office for iOS hits in the Spring and continue using my iPad for business AND personal use.
Senseotech is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Too expensive. I know Microsoft wants to get into the higher end market but if people have to spend that much they'll probably think "I might as well buy an iPad" or something similar. They'd have much better luck with Intel-based tablets and marketing them as a more portable Windows computer.
Hastings101 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:56 PM   #19
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan5806 View Post
Hold up one second........120 BUCKS FOR A FRICKEN TOUCH KEYBOARD THAT VIOLATES SO MANY PATENTS........WTF!?!?!??!?!
It doesn't violate Apple's patents. There is a cross-licensning deal for this technology between Apple and Microsoft. So, MS paid the piper. Which is maybe why it's so expensive? Just speculation on my part.

I do wonder if Microsoft will push the pricing model for storage down. Surface 32GB = iPad 16GB. We'll see.
GeekLawyer is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:04 PM   #20
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Pricing offers no one but the hardest corest M$ fans (are there any left?) a reason to buy.
My guess is that some enterprise managers and developers with a bunch of C# business and Office related applications to port to a touch UI will feel more confident buying these at roughly price parity. Their actual users might still prefer iPads, but, except for BYOD situations, it's not their money.
firewood is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:05 PM   #21
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Wrong, MS is rolling out support for Surface in SCCM. Can't manage iOS devices with SCCM.

Our company is already planning to buy some to pilot test. I have to co-workers, one a former iOS guy migrated to Android and another a former BB buy recently migrated to Android, chomping at the bit to buy a Surface.

Of course, we just made a VERY public purchase of a lot of iPads already.

Just saying, don't count MS out and I think a lot of your presumptions are incorrect.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:05 PM   #22
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

I'm sure Microsoft follows the Apple rumor mill well enough to know that the iPad mini release is very close, so the timing of this announcement was not unfortunate, nor was it a blunder. It was a deliberate effort to avoid being buried, as they might well have been had they'd waited until next week. At this point, Apple hasn't actually announced anything more than a media event, whereas Microsoft actually (and finally) pegged the price and shipping date for the Surface.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:06 PM   #23
lglickman
macrumors newbie

Actor

I think that actor is the same one in the "Duquesne Whistle" video from Bob Dylan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mns9VeRguys
lglickman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:07 PM   #24
TimTheEnchanter
macrumors 6502a

Apple hires Triumph the Insult Comic Dog to respond to Microsoft's announcement...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triumph.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	369912  
RIP: too many Macs to list...AppleII-PMG5
TimTheEnchanter is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:09 PM   #25
johncrab
macrumors 6502

MS is always a day (or four years) late and a dollar short when entering markets pioneered by others. The right thing to do was to start on the basic side and pick up those who have basic needs and back up at the price of an iPad and then grow it higher into the market. They's an unknown after all entering a crowded market and trying to go high end. That company has a lot of solid brain power. I just wish they would use it sometime.
johncrab is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion