Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I have owned my 2010 13-ich MacBook Pro for over two years now and never before experienced what I'm about to describe. No too long ago I installed Windows 7 in Boot Camp just to play some new games (OT: it's unbelievable how surprisingly potent the 320M still is).

However, when running Windows and playing a game, a lot of static electricity seems to build up on the computer. Almost every other time my skin touches the unibody chassis I get a static shock. This happens not only when I touch the palm rests but also the little aluminum spaces between the keys. It doesn't particularly hurt, but when it happens a dozen times per minute, it gets really annoying and in such a frequency it may even be harmful, but I'm no expert on this.

Strangely, this never ever happens in OS X. Could it perhaps mean Windows uses too much power or something? Can I control this somewhere?

I tried googling the problem, but I only found solutions involving using a grounded wall plug - I use that. I'm in Europe, so I'm using the European plug, if it's of any help.

Any ideas anyone? I'll be thankful for any help. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
The 320M is nice for an integrated GPU, and can still play some games really well.

Are you sure what you are experiencing is static electricity? I seem to faintly remember a resemblance of what you are talking about when gaming under Windows via Bootcamp, and it was basically "irritation" from the heat and such due to the fact that the laptop is under heavy load and the Aluminum build makes for greater transfer.

If what you are experiencing is indeed electricity, it could be a number of things - the outlet, the charger, the laptop itself, etc.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Yeah, I'm very happy I didn't get my MBP later. I missed out on Thunderbolt and Sandy Bridge, but the 320M is great for Boot Camp gaming. Really surprisingly so, because now I'm playing Dishonored, a brand new game with requirements in the graphics department way above my specifications, but for me it runs at full details (just without antialiasing) with very decent FPS most of the time.

I was convinced it was definitely electricity, but errare humanum est, maybe it is really just the heat from the very heavy load on the computer. I will keep using it and I'll be careful to notice what sort of sensation I'm really feeling and if I really think it's gotta be electricity, maybe I'll bring my computer to the store for a check-up.
I'll post any and all updates here.
Thanks for the advice.

The 320M is nice for an integrated GPU, and can still play some games really well.

Are you sure what you are experiencing is static electricity? I seem to faintly remember a resemblance of what you are talking about when gaming under Windows via Bootcamp, and it was basically "irritation" from the heat and such due to the fact that the laptop is under heavy load and the Aluminum build makes for greater transfer.

If what you are experiencing is indeed electricity, it could be a number of things - the outlet, the charger, the laptop itself, etc.

MishalGunner

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I used to have the 2010 MBP, and when charging, I could feel a small buzz emanating from the chassis when my hand went near - I live in the third world, so I changed my charger plug from 2 pin to 3 pin (grounded), and all issues subsided.

Recently, I upgraded to the rMBP (I waited until a model with ML preinstalled was available, as alot of the issues were with the first batch or two), and have no issues with static or electricity, and I live in a country with extremely unreliable and volatile electricity.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I used to have the 2010 MBP, and when charging, I could feel a small buzz emanating from the chassis when my hand went near - I live in the third world, so I changed my charger plug from 2 pin to 3 pin (grounded), and all issues subsided.

Recently, I upgraded to the rMBP (I waited until a model with ML preinstalled was available, as alot of the issues were with the first batch or two), and have no issues with static or electricity, and I live in a country with extremely unreliable and volatile electricity.

You may be really on to something here. I'm from Europe, but I recently moved to Turkey where I'll be living for a year and only here I started to experience the problem. I really don't know if electricity is problematic in Turkey, I certainly haven't had any problems or experienced any blackouts, but who knows, maybe the elctricity is really delivered differently here. I still use the 3-pin grounded plug, though.

MishalGunner

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
If you're using the 3 Pin, then it could be one of 2 things

I would recommend the following:

1. There is no grounding where you live. Check at for example the office and see if the 3 Pin grounds it properly - should completely eliminate it.

2. There is a problem with the computer, probably not life and death, but I'd take it to an Apple Shop to examine it if step 1 gives negative results.

This used to really bug me, and the 3 pin solved all the problems.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Well, I've now experienced it happening in OS X as well, so it's not limited to Windows only.
Thanks for the advice, in the end it turned out you were completely right with the (lack of) grounding.

It turns out that the wall sockets in Turkey are not grounded and they don't have that third pin. At least in my building, that is. At the first glance they look like the standard European 3-pin sockets, and that's what I thought they were at first.

So mystery solved. I don't think there's a solution for that at least until I leave Turkey next year, but it's good to know there's nothing wrong with my computer.

rajeshchoudhary

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
electric shock on MB A1181 while charging

I have an MB A1181 laptop & while charging i get electric shocks through screws & connecting pins. I am using a non-apple charger. any solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.