Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:34 PM   #76
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Kind of sucks, but I think they have to keep the difference between the iPhone and the iPod touch. The iPod touch 5 has the same screen as the iPhone 5, instead of a non-IPS display in the 4th gen.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:44 PM   #77
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

The 5th gen iPod Touch was so thin it was uncomfortable to hold without a case (IMO anyway) - So what do they do? Sacrifice features to make it even thinner!
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:15 PM   #78
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
My dad picked up my 4S and remarked how heavy it was (he uses a company Blackberry but just acquired an old 3GS too).

Quit lying to yourself to prove a point.
lying to myself? wow, pathetic apple fanboy who is controlled by the balls of Apple's marketing team
Aluminum213 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:28 PM   #79
Swordylove
macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised he even read an e-mail titled only "Hi".
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:23 AM   #80
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Sounds more like a cop out cost saving measure. Most cheap no name android devices have no ambient light sensor.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:42 AM   #81
Broph
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterHowl View Post
I hate it how these days, the high profile Apple employees try to persuade you how good things are (I'm mainly talking about Schiller, Forstall and Cook here).

"It is a remarkable device!"

"Maps are SO beautiful"

"It's just gorgeous"

"We absolutely love this at Apple, absolutely LOVE it"

It just looks desperate?

Steve would have just gone "here it is, it's so cool", end of. Then of course, we would have opened our lovely new Apple gadgets and thought "yeah, this is pretty cool!".

But now it seems that the recent decline in quality of some Apple products (Maps, lack of light sensor on new Touches, no groundbreaking new features in iOS 6 that work properly) has resulted in the top dogs getting desperate, and trying to persuade us that Apple products are really cool rather than just showing us how cool they are. I just think it comes across desperate, and isn't smooth like Steve was.

Just my thoughts...
The one word that really got up my goat when Cook was doing the iPhone presentation was 'phenomenal'.... He said that word way too much. It actually made me think the same thing... That they were desperate to impress.
Broph is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:47 AM   #82
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
All my light sensors are turned off in every device I own. Heck, Amazon shipped a broken one in the first Kindle Fire even!

Light sensors, while the idea is really great, doesn't really benefit us. Because no matter how low or high you have the brightness, it's going to look horrible on a sunny day outside.
Speak for yourself, they benefit me plenty.
Fruit Cake is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:07 AM   #83
locust76
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankey View Post
It's sad seeing people say steve wouldn't have done this, steve wouldn't have done that.

Steve WOULD HAVE, and DID DO IT. You all were just brainwashed by his ridiculous marketing skills and manipulative speech therapy. Remember, a lie told a hundred times becomes the truth.

I think Apple is still Apple, and they are doing a good job. Stop saying Steve did a better job, Apple did a great job, Steve was just the cherry on top.
Not to mention the countless features and changes that made Apple products the huge successes that they are that Steve was fervently against until his employees argued him into submission.
locust76 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:21 AM   #84
gaximus
macrumors regular

It's not too thin. If they can fit a 5mp camera in it, which is use eccentually 5 million light sensors, they could easily fit in one more. What he meant to say was its too thin for an affordable light sensor, otherwise we would lose a few cents per device.
gaximus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:40 AM   #85
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
lying to myself? wow, pathetic apple fanboy who is controlled by the balls of Apple's marketing team
Not really, name a smartphone that's heavier than the 4S that's also a comprable size. Glass and stainless steel are heavy compared to plastic, that's just a fact.

I love my phone though and now the iPod Touch feels really thin and light because of that.

Also, next time I would appreciate capitalization, punctuation and a lack of ad hominem attacks. If I'm to respond to your ignorance then it's the least you could do.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:05 AM   #86
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEnvy View Post
Are you guys really complaining about something so meaningless in the iPod Touch? Look at the main consumer for iPod touches-Tweens and Teens. Why the hell would it matter if it had the ALS?
Because people like to moan .. that is all they have
Jibbajabba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:38 AM   #87
anomie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterHowl View Post
But never appeared desperate or like he was trying to be persuasive.

Just watch the demo Forstall did at the last keynote. It was screaming "desperation"!
No, it is only because you were so much in love with Steve Jobs, that his BS didnīt sound like BS to you.
But when Shiller or Forstall talk the same BS you realize how BS this BS is.
anomie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:56 AM   #88
NightFox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
I wonder if one day they'll remove the 3.5" audio jack to make iDevices thinner.

No problem, just use our AirPods™ Bluetooth headphones!
Hey, don't joke! Look what happened to the floppy drive and the optical media drive. If Apple decide we don't need it any more, we don't get it any more.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:15 AM   #89
robeddie
macrumors 6502a

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactendo View Post
The light sensor will return in the next generation of iPod as a "new feature". One step back, two steps forward, this is how many are doing business these days. And after each step they sell millions of devices either as a novice item (look, it's so thin!) either as a more full featured device (hey, you wanted a light sensor, here it is again!).
That's one step back, one step forward actually.
robeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:30 AM   #90
robeddie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelltech View Post
Kind of sucks, but I think they have to keep the difference between the iPhone and the iPod touch. The iPod touch 5 has the same screen as the iPhone 5, instead of a non-IPS display in the 4th gen.
Um, the differences are: different processor, different cameras, one is a phone that can use a worldwide cellular system.

So they hardly needed to take out the light sensor to make sure the two products were 'different'. Lol
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:43 AM   #91
robeddie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
Not really, name a smartphone that's heavier than the 4S that's also a comprable size. Glass and stainless steel are heavy compared to plastic, that's just a fact.

I love my phone though and now the iPod Touch feels really thin and light because of that.

Also, next time I would appreciate capitalization, punctuation and a lack of ad hominem attacks. If I'm to respond to your ignorance then it's the least you could do.
I think you meant to write "...and _how_ the iPod touch feels ..."

Note: pointing out grammatical errors in someone else's post just makes you sound like a pompous *******. Especially when you yourself make a grammitcal error in your response.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:45 AM   #92
Lex Yu
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMasterRice View Post
I don't understand how the thickness of the device is an excuse. Make it thicker then. At what point is dropping features so that it can be thinner going to stop.

Edit: By the way that is a flat out lie, the ambient light sensor is a surface mount component no bigger than the capacitors that are already in there.
I don't understand YOU. Who cares the light sensor?

Auto-brightness feature is NOT AS SEXY AS THINNESS !!

As far I know, EVERYONE cares thickness. So, thickness over function-that-no-one-care, huh?

Last edited by Lex Yu; Oct 17, 2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: thin is the new sexy
Lex Yu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:52 AM   #93
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Never got it... Owning an iPhone and an iPod Touch doesn't make much sense to me...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:01 AM   #94
robeddie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0odfr1end102 View Post
Never got it... Owning an iPhone and an iPod Touch doesn't make much sense to me...
Ah dang, and I was just about to buy a new iPod touch to go along with my iPhone 4S. Thanks to your comment, I now realize that wouldn't make sense!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:09 AM   #95
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a

I want the iphone to be that thin too.

If you want it thicker in exchange for a better battery, then buy a damn case with a battery in it.

I hate the auto-dim. Its constantly making bad choices.

And I'm ready to give up the built in headphone jack. bluetooth is a pretty good answer now. And a hardwire adapter through the lightning connector could be an alternate for people who have specific headphone tastes.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:22 AM   #96
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

It is too thin

I would have preferred that they stay with the same thickness and keep the ALS and increase the battery.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:25 AM   #97
tdream
macrumors 65816

This is to prepare for the magical illuminated light sensor upgrade next year.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:29 AM   #98
Trik
macrumors member

I'm fine with this...

Personally the ambiant light sensor was not a grand feature, and if in making things smaller it gets lost, that's a choice that Apple had to make. They sat in a room and decided it wasn't important. If that IS something you feel is important, then by all means let them know, and it will come back next time.

Apple is moving in a direction, you think that thinner isn't the answer, but I believe it is the future. Soon we'll expect these devices to be wearable (and hidden), then we'll expect them to be almost invisible. At some point we're going to have flexible paper thin devices that roll up or something, in order to get to that point, we have to continue to make the components thinner.
Trik is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:38 AM   #99
Tingler

Form over function. But it is okay, you're still great, Phil.
Tingler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:44 AM   #100
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Yu View Post
I don't understand YOU. Who cares the light sensor?

Auto-brightness feature is NOT AS SEXY AS THINNESS !!

As far I know, EVERYONE cares thickness. So, thickness over function-that-no-one-care, huh?
Somebody needs to lay off the coffee...

Anyway did you miss the part where I explained that the argument about the thickness is a lie anyway.

Finally, no everyone doesn't "cares thickness" the last iPod Touch was uncomfortably thin and light and so is the new one so I wouldn't buy it anyway. Absolutely terrible ergonomics.
WordMasterRice is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion