Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayohwhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
i think it's been about a month now where even though all my settings are set to sounds on, there are no sounds during my facebook and instagram push notifications.

Are any of you also frustrated at this? Is this a facebook/instagram problem or an ios 6 problem? I had sounds on my notifications before ios 6.

Also, do any of you experience double notifications for instagram? like, when i open the app, old notifications jump up to my notification center so i see them twice. how can I turn that off?

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
there's never any sounds for instagram.

facebook, however, there should be but i think it's a bug.

mtalsma

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Me too! I have been wondering about this. I have a 4s running iOS 6, no sounds for Facebook notifications. I have checked the settings.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
there's never any sounds for instagram.

facebook, however, there should be but i think it's a bug.

Not true instagram did make sounds on my phone for notifications. It stopped around the time that facebook stopped working for me. Oddly enough, all of my friends who have iphones have notifications for both facebook and instagram, as well as foursquare working on their phones. Don't know why theirs works and mine doesn't.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I got a few fb notification sounds last night. That was the first time since Sept. 22nd that I've had a few come in. It was random to say the least. I haven't gotten and sounds for fb notifications today.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Yes i am, on my iphone 4s iphone 5 and the new ipad are all on ios6

That is how my friends are. Some have a 4 or 4s, some have the new 5. All of them have either ios 5 or ios 6. But all of them have no issues with notifications on any apps, including sounds coming through for instagram, foursquare, twitter, facebook etc. So the only thing i can think of, is it is some people's login, and or account? I dunno.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I've never gotten sounds from Instagram. And Facebook stopped about a week before iOS 6 was released. I've since upgraded to iPhone 5. I think it's a FB server issue.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I've never gotten sounds from Instagram. And Facebook stopped about a week before iOS 6 was released. I've since upgraded to iPhone 5. I think it's a FB server issue.

Yeah instagram seems like its 50/50 depending on who you talked to. Some ppl swear they never received sound, some ppl say they have always had sound. But it should be one of the apps that should have notification sounds. There is even an option in the settings to enable, or disable the sound and banner etc.

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah instagram seems like its 50/50 depending on who you talked to. Some ppl swear they never received sound, some ppl say they have always had sound. But it should be one of the apps that should have notification sounds. There is even an option in the settings to enable, or disable the sound and banner etc.

they're lying.. right on their website it says they don't support sounds.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
I have the same problem but I like it, I constantly get Facebook an Instagram notifications so I would be annoyed with the constant tone.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
they're lying.. right on their website it says they don't support sounds.

I have no idea what you are talking about. But all of my sounds were coming through just fine, until they came out with ios 6. That included facebook, twitter, instagram, foursquare etc. First my facebook stopped making sound then everything else. I have alot of friends with instagram, facebook etc. And they get sounds and vibrations on notifications. For instagram it only makes certain sounds. Like if someone leaves a comment or if they request to be added to your instagram etc. But it does makes sounds. I was driving my ex g/f's friend crazy the other day. Commenting on every one of her instagram pics. And each time she would get that tri tone noise telling her someone left a comment. I am just not sure why some ppl seems to have that issue with no sound and vibration, and some don't.

Last edited:

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I have no idea what you are talking about. But all of my sounds were coming through just find, until they came out with ios 6. That included facebook, twitter, instagram, foursquare etc. First my facebook stopped making sound then everything else. I have alot of friends with instagram, facebook etc. And they get sounds and vibrations on notifications. For instagram it only makes certain sounds. Like if someone leaves a comment or if they request to be added to your instagram etc. But it does makes sounds. I was driving my ex g/f's friend crazy the other day. Commenting on every one of her instagram pics. And each time she would get that tri tone noise telling her someone left a comment. I am just not sure why some ppl seems to have that issue with no sound and vibration, and some don't.

instagram DOESN'T SUPPORT SOUNDS. it's right on their website. do you have some sort of magical device?

facepalm.jpg :rolleyes:

facebook, doesn't work for me, twitter does.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
instagram DOESN'T SUPPORT SOUNDS. it's right on their website. do you have some sort of magical device?

facepalm.jpg :rolleyes:

facebook, doesn't work for me, twitter does.

Why do you have to be that way? It is very immature. I am simply explaining to you that all of my friends have sound (the tritone) for comments and stuff on instagram. If you choose not to believe me that is fine. It isnt like i am making this up. I even went to the apple store and had my phone swapped. (not for the notifications, because i had a problem with static when making calls) And the guy doing the swap out was showing me that all of his apps were working fine. Including facebook, twitter, instagram, path, foursquare etc.

But to be honest, i could care less about instagram. The only time i use that app is to post pics to both twitter and facebook at the same time. And i think for foursquare, i will be removing the app. I will just use facebook checkin. All i want is my facebook working again, as well as my text, and email notifications.

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Why do you have to be that way? It is very immature. I am simply explaining to you that all of my friends have sound (the tritone) for comments and stuff on instagram. If you choose not to believe me that is fine. It isnt like i am making this up. I even went to the apple store and had my phone swapped. (not for the notifications, because i had a problem with static when making calls) And the guy doing the swap out was showing me that all of his apps were working fine. Including facebook, twitter, instagram, path, foursquare etc.

But to be honest, i could care less about instagram. The only time i use that app is to post pics to both twitter and facebook at the same time. And i think for foursquare, i will be removing the app. I will just use facebook checkin. All i want is my facebook working again, as well as my text, and email notifications.

It says right on their website they don't support sounds for notifications, YET you somehow have them? I swear, the ****in IQ of some people on this website.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I am not arguing with anyone on this thread. But i did have notification sounds for Instagram. One day they have returned. You can believe me if you want, i don't care. I just hope that Facebook now restores their notification sounds. But i just wanted to give anyone a heads up who was having trouble with instagram, that my notification sounds are back. I didn't do anything, so i am assuming it is something that they did to get it working again.

----------

It says right on their website they don't support sounds for notifications, YET you somehow have them? I swear, the ****in IQ of some people on this website.

I'm tired of being insulted when i try to ask something. I reported you. And yes Instagram always had sound. My friend's Instagram app on iPhone and android have always had sound. And sometime at the beginning of November my Instagram notification sounds came back. Not sure what happened, but i am glad they are back.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Link please. I'm not seeing it on there page.

----------

The only FB sound notifications I've been getting are from private messages. Everything else stopped which I'm happy about!

This.....

Except I think its annoying. Stop just before iOS 6 if I remember right....

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Link please. I'm not seeing it on there page.

----------

This.....

Except I think its annoying. Stop just before iOS 6 if I remember right....

http://help.instagram.com/customer/portal/articles/95725-set-up-notifications

It's a little unclear, but email the devs to confirm

----------

I am not arguing with anyone on this thread. But i did have notification sounds for Instagram. One day they have returned. You can believe me if you want, i don't care. I just hope that Facebook now restores their notification sounds. But i just wanted to give anyone a heads up who was having trouble with instagram, that my notification sounds are back. I didn't do anything, so i am assuming it is something that they did to get it working again.

----------

I'm tired of being insulted when i try to ask something. I reported you. And yes Instagram always had sound. My friend's Instagram app on iPhone and android have always had sound. And sometime at the beginning of November my Instagram notification sounds came back. Not sure what happened, but i am glad they are back.

You must feel good inside for reporting me :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.