Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I need some advice. The buyer paid already with Paypal gift. He paid with a credit card. Now some things I'm worrying about is that the names do not match up. I'm sending it to someone in Asia but the Paypal payment was made by a different person. And he paid as Paypal gift. I'm worrying about a possible charge back. What should I do? I'm thinking about refunding him. He sent several messages to send it out already. Plus the eBay account has 1 feedback. Any advice is much appreciated.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Don't ever ship overseas. That's my advice. Chances are you will get a chargeback claiming that the card was stolen after you ship it. I don't know Paypal's current policies on things, but back when I got a chargeback for a domestic package, I was on the hook for $400, eventually got blacklisted from Paypal and had to open a new account.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I would tell him you're only shipping to the PayPal address, and that's that.

I'm pretty sure that PayPal gifts don't have the same protection for the buyer as regular payments though. You might wanna look into that. I don't think he'd be able to screw you.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I need some advice. The buyer paid already with Paypal gift. He paid with a credit card. Now some things I'm worrying about is that the names do not match up. I'm sending it to someone in Asia but the Paypal payment was made by a different person. And he paid as Paypal gift. I'm worrying about a possible charge back. What should I do? I'm thinking about refunding him. He sent several messages to send it out already. Plus the eBay account has 1 feedback. Any advice is much appreciated.

He has NOTHING to lose. The person paid as a gift... gifts are nonrefundable as it isn't suppose to be used for buying things. Depending on your morals.. you could keep the phone and the money and he can do nothing. Paypal doesn't accept disputes on gifts.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Defitnetly dont ship it to him, sounds like a huge scam... Try Craigslist or sell to a reputable member of Ebay with high ratings

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
He has NOTHING to lose. The person paid as a gift... gifts are nonrefundable as it isn't suppose to be used for buying things. Depending on your morals.. you could keep the phone and the money and he can do nothing. Paypal doesn't accept disputes on gifts.

Agreed, gift payment is supposed to be exactly that, for gifts and money transfers to family. There is no dispute process.

If the OP is really worried, sit on the payment for 10 days before posting, it's not like the buyer can do much about it.

I've paid with Paypal Gift on a few forums to help the seller avoid the fees, but always panic a little till the item arrives as I know I have no comeback if the seller scams me. Touch wood, not happened yet though.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010

If the credit card is stolen, and the owner makes a dispute through his or her credit card company, PayPal will hold the money/charge it back.
But:
1. eBay and PayPal should have seller protection
2. Never ship to an address that is different from PayPal's address
3. Never accept gift payments because it can violate number 1.

brokenbuyer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2011
Well the transaction should be in your favor. He can't dispute because he sent it as a gift/payment owed.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
If paid by CC as a gift couldn't there still be a chargeback leaving the OP with nothing? I would NOT do this transaction, period. I was nervous enough with a verified member...

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012

Don't do it. Never overseas.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
If the credit card is stolen, and the owner makes a dispute through his or her credit card company, PayPal will hold the money/charge it back.
But:
1. eBay and PayPal should have seller protection
2. Never ship to an address that is different from PayPal's address
3. Never accept gift payments because it can violate number 1.

HAHA, you have never sold anything on eBay have you? It is 100% buyer protection. No matter what!

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
HAHA, you have never sold anything on eBay have you? It is 100% buyer protection. No matter what!

DISREGARD all of this crap about it being a gift and therefore with no recourse...

All they'd thave to do is initiate a credit card chargeback and VOILA, no more $$$ for you.

I know this because it happened to me with "gift funds", on a "Not Received" case that I WON with both eBay and PayPal. The scammer lost both attempts, so he decided to do a chargeback too.

Here's the kicker: I had shipped the item via signature required certified mail (why I won both of my cases), but by the time the chargeback hit my account, the information on USPS.com had expired, and even though I had the PHYSICAL signature card, PayPal required it to be accessible online via tracking. Because it wasn't, it took me literally 4 days worth of calls to find a person even willing to help, and I had to physically send her the Certified reciept (thank FSM I saved it... months after winning both cases).

Lesson learned: your money is almost NEVER safe with PayPal.

I would 100% not send to anything but the address on record with PP, take videos of the boxing/labeling, get signature confirmation (to addressee only), video the mailing, and save EVERYTHING.

Sound extreme? Wait until you get the "Notice of chargeback" and your account goes negative $100's (or $1000's) of dollars.

Be careful.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

How does someone on ebay pay with a gift if they went through ebay's checkout? You must use ebay's process and you must only ship to the verified address in paypal.

Anything else and you will loose the phone.

----------

I would tell him you're only shipping to the PayPal address, and that's that.

I'm pretty sure that PayPal gifts don't have the same protection for the buyer as regular payments though. You might wanna look into that. I don't think he'd be able to screw you.

Correct and to have received a gift means that the buyer sent the seller money via paypal and did not check out...big mistake!

----------

Dont be too sure... Call paypal and get someone to tell you that's true

----------

if paid by cc as a gift couldn't there still be a chargeback leaving the op with nothing? I would not do this transaction, period. I was nervous enough with a verified member...

yes!

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010

Noo... Cancel the transaction. Don't risk it.
Name doesn't match, overseas, only 1 feedback. Doesn't sound like a good outcome. Better refund his money and sell it within the country. ebay tends to favour the buyer when a dispute shows up.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Cancel the transaction, do not take the risk. Donald Trump said once: do not be naive.

Wait for the iPhone to be sold to a trusted person, do the things in the right way, be accurate.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Thanks everyone. I wasn't confident when the eBay account had a Vietnamese name attached to it. And an American name attached to the Paypal account. It just seemed strange. Also in regards to Paypal gift, yes he can do a chargeback if he paid with a credit card. If he paid with a balance then he would be SOL. And if his account is overseas, his shipping address will not be confirmed from what I've seen and read. You would still be seller eligible if he/she is verified. I just hope he doesn't give me negative feedback as a result of the refund/cancellation. Also forgot to add if it's Paypal gift then there is no shipping address. He sent a message to ship to Vietnam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.