Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:49 AM   #1
mzayats
macrumors newbie

Permissions for Applications folder

Since the upgrade to Mountain Lion, I have problems dragging Apps into the Applications folder.

I have turned off Gatekeeper by changing the settings to allow any source for the apps. I can indeed run the apps form DMGs, but if I try dragging them into Applications I get "The operation can't be completed, because you don't have permission to access some of the items".

Interestingly, I have no problem to drag a regular file, like PowerPoint presentation, into Applications.

any ideas?
mzayats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzayats View Post
Since the upgrade to Mountain Lion, I have problems dragging Apps into the Applications folder.

I have turned off Gatekeeper by changing the settings to allow any source for the apps. I can indeed run the apps form DMGs, but if I try dragging them into Applications I get "The operation can't be completed, because you don't have permission to access some of the items".

Interestingly, I have no problem to drag a regular file, like PowerPoint presentation, into Applications.

any ideas?
Have you run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility ? That is usually my first step in permission problems.
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:52 AM   #3
mzayats
macrumors newbie

tried permissions repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplegate View Post
Have you run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility ? That is usually my first step in permission problems.
Fixed quite a lot of permissions inconsistencies, but didn't solve the applications folder issue...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:31 PM   #4
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Fixed quite a lot of permissions inconsistencies, but didn't solve the applications folder issue...
Searching with Google and on Apple's support forums it seems a lot of people have this problem when they try to drag an app while one with the same name is already in the apps folder. Is that your case? Like if Skype is there you try to drag a newer version of Skype it gives the error? A work around seems to be to drag the original app to the trash first.

There are too many threads to read, but if your curious search. I just searched using, "The operation can't be completed, because you don't have permission to access some of the items"
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:50 PM   #5
mzayats
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplegate View Post
Searching with Google and on Apple's support forums it seems a lot of people have this problem when they try to drag an app while one with the same name is already in the apps folder. Is that your case? Like if Skype is there you try to drag a newer version of Skype it gives the error? A work around seems to be to drag the original app to the trash first.

There are too many threads to read, but if your curious search. I just searched using, "The operation can't be completed, because you don't have permission to access some of the items"
Logging out and in after permissions repairs did the trick.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:52 PM   #6
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Logging out and in after permissions repairs did the trick.

Thanks a lot for the help!
That works, I was going to suggest a restart right after, I heard that helps sometimes.

You're welcome. A simple solution is always best

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion