Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
So im looking to get some new headphones for myself. I was originally thinking about Beats By Dre, either the Studio or the Mixr. I was told to get the Mixr because A. They are $50 cheaper B. Sound better C. Dont use batteries that the Studio uses for the sound cancelation. I was also reading about the Vmoda M80, which I have never heard of, but are $199, so $100 cheaper then Dre Studio, and $50 cheaper then the Mixr, and have great reviews.

Im really looking for some loud, good quality headphones. My music preference is Indie Rock, Post Rock, some Instrumental, and some hip hop. I just want something that cranks. What do you guys recommend?

kappa

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
I just bought SOL Republic Tracks HD On-Ear Headphones from Amazon for $129. If you remember, these are the same brands that Phelps wore during the Olympics. For the price, the quality is awesome. Some review say its a great alternative vs Beat by Dre. You check these out.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
Check THESE out. They're only a fraction of the cost of the Beats and I personally think they sound superior. Beats are more of a trendy, over-priced clothing accessory than anything else. Also their build quality is awful. Just read the many reviews online and you'll see.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Check THESE out. They're only a fraction of the cost of the Beats and I personally think they sound superior. Beats are more of a trendy, over-priced clothing accessory than anything else. Also their build quality is awful. Just read the many reviews online and you'll see.

I have Beats Pro and the build quality is excellent. Made of all metal like a tank. Sound great too.

There are other good brands like Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic that sound awesome as well.

photo.JPG

Yeah I know messy desk. :p

Last edited:

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
I have Beats Pro and the build quality is excellent. Made of all metal like a tank. Sound great too.

There are other good brands too though like Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica.

The poster was interested in either the Studio or Mixr headphones which I believe are plastic? I'd hope the Pro's are built well since they're around $400.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
So im looking to get some new headphones for myself. I was originally thinking about Beats By Dre, either the Studio or the Mixr. I was told to get the Mixr because A. They are $50 cheaper B. Sound better C. Dont use batteries that the Studio uses for the sound cancelation. I was also reading about the Vmoda M80, which I have never heard of, but are $199, so $100 cheaper then Dre Studio, and $50 cheaper then the Mixr, and have great reviews.

Im really looking for some loud, good quality headphones. My music preference is Indie Rock, Post Rock, some Instrumental, and some hip hop. I just want something that cranks. What do you guys recommend?

I have the VMODA's and I would absolutely recommend them. The only thing I will warn about is that for some people they require breaking in to be comfortable for extended listening periods. Sound quality wise I am extremely impressed with them and will be buying more VMODA products.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I've tried them all - I mean this - The best bang for buck / quality for anyone listening to a wide range like me - is the B&W P3 for $199!

I've tried these

-Beats Pro
-Beats Studio
-Beats Solo
-Bose QC15
-Bose QC3
-Sennheiser HD 439/555/598
-B&W P5
Pretty much Beats are way too ****** in quality, Sennheisers are amazing but is flat and preferable to audiophiles but for me I listen to a lot of bassy music to listen to them even if they're comfortable and have accurate sound reproduction.

My requirement is that the headphones are $200-$300 and have good bass - not overpowering but bunchy and does not require batteries. I also needed them to be comfortable (I got a big head - so this is key). I usually edit in PS while I listen to music so up to 3-4 hours a day. I think when it comes down to it these are the best most amazing headphones money can buy. You gotta hear it to believe it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.