Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/verizon-draws-fire-for-monitoring-app-usage--browsing-habits.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=US&.lang=en-US

I don't know links work on here but go to google and type

"Verizon draws fire"

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
You forgot to note that you also get to pay Verizon for the privilege of letting them do this to you...

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
You forgot to note that you also get to pay Verizon for the privilege of letting them do this to you...

I have ATT but am still upset! I usually don't fired up about things as I do believe in free markets and prosperity within its legal limits

But

When you start tracking me, regardless of whether you're making money or not,

I feel violated! They're watching me!

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
You can opt out you know.

You forgot that part. And there are no names or personal info.

Google does this too, along with every huge company.

Way to rile up the paranoid types.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
I have ATT but am still upset! I usually don't fired up about things as I do believe in free markets and prosperity within its legal limits

But

They know where you live, how you vote, and they're coming for your dog. Run little man, run... :eek:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
And the cable company knows what shows you watch. Your ISP knows what sites you visit. Your banks and credit card companies know where you eat sleep and breathe.

Unless you have something to hide, who cares? You're not a person to these companies. You're a demographic.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

But

Apple has already been tracking you. Nothing new to be surprised over.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Verizon has offered the ability to opt-out of this type of tracking for awhile now. I opted out last year. Sometimes it pays to actually read the privacy policy.

Some of the in-depth tracking the linked article talks about might be new, but the opt-out page on Verizon is the same so if you had previously opted out you still are.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/verizon-draws-fire-for-monitoring-app-usage--browsing-habits.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=US&.lang=en-US

I don't know links work on here but go to google and type

"Verizon draws fire"

OLD NEWS!

This all came out long ago about Apple and AT&T.

Even if you opt out they know where you are. It is only the beginning as from what I hear NFC will spy even more in the background. They will know which store you are in and how long you stay there, even what counter you paused to look at a particular item. You will see that item in an ad the same day, just for you!:p

Get used to it as the they WILL be selling this to whom ever and even the government will be buying this info!

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Verizon Monitoring App Usage and Data

Here is the article: http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-draws-fire-for-monitoring-app-usage--browsing-habits.html

One statement I want to quote and am curious about:"We're able to view just everything that they do," Bill Diggins, U.S. chief for the Verizon Wireless marketing initiative"

Does that mean even under "Private" browsing they can see what we do? I use this feature 24/7 when i'm not on my personal wi-fi for banking, logging into my e-mail etc via the web.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Sure they can. The data is still traveling over their network.

The private option in a browser only keeps other users of that same browser from seeing what sites you went to, etc, when using the same phone/computer after you do.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
application layer switches can see everything along with Narus and other network monitoring hardware that is used to monitor the network to make sure everything is OK

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Here is the article: http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-draws-fire-for-monitoring-app-usage--browsing-habits.html

One statement I want to quote and am curious about:"We're able to view just everything that they do," Bill Diggins, U.S. chief for the Verizon Wireless marketing initiative"

Does that mean even under "Private" browsing they can see what we do? I use this feature 24/7 when i'm not on my personal wi-fi for banking, logging into my e-mail etc via the web.

Already being discussed here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1470311/ (this is still on page 1, BTW; please try searching before starting a new thread.)

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Big whoopy deal. Did you know your bank tracks your credit/debit card usage?

Bottom line is that MANY services we all receive in life are because of businesses figuring out what we like/dislike, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.