Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I'm bored at work and wanted to buy last weeks episode of South Park. It won't let me saying I need Wi-Fi?!?! Same with iCloud.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It's because of all those guys on unlimited plans who'd go on an iTunes download spree and bring down the whole cellular network.... :rolleyes:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I'm bored at work and wanted to buy last weeks episode of South Park. It won't let me saying I need Wi-Fi?!?! Same with iCloud.

Because you'll end up getting a crazily high phone bill. LTE speeds up all downloads too, not just big downloads.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What's the point of LTE if I can't download/purchase Videos on iTunes?
So that's the only point of LTE for you? The point is subjective. If that's the only purpose you have for LTE then that's the only point. Plenty of others have many other points but if they're not relevant to you then why does it matter?

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Because you'll end up getting a crazily high phone bill. LTE speeds up all downloads too, not just big downloads.

but they will let you tether to other devices and those devices can use as much data as they want. I get you may go over, but that limitation shouldn't exist if you are willing to pay the price.

MrMacMini

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
So Cal....
but they will let you tether to other devices and those devices can use as much data as they want. I get you may go over, but that limitation shouldn't exist if you are willing to pay the price.

You cant tether if your still on the unlimited data plan.

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
It's because of all those guys on unlimited plans who'd go on an iTunes download spree and bring down the whole cellular network.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's the reason! No one is able to download an app/video greater than 20/50mb regardless of what plan you're on. And, even if you're on an unlimited plan, it's not really unlimited anymore. They throttle you at 3GB. So, don't blame people who are lucky enough to still have an unlimited plan.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
You cant tether if your still on the unlimited data plan.

If they can find a way to enable tethering for those not on the unlimited plans than they have no reason to enable this either. Leave this up the the carrier if it matters that much. I'm sure verizon wont have any issues for those on the share everything plan.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Sorry you are bored.

Get a job and buy connection to the Internet and use it!:p

Your iPhone was never meant to be your sole connection to the Internet when you want to download movies. Open connections are not hard to find if you have transportation.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Yeah, that's the reason! No one is able to download an app/video greater than 20/50mb regardless of what plan you're on. And, even if you're on an unlimited plan, it's not really unlimited anymore. They throttle you at 3GB. So, don't blame people who are lucky enough to still have an unlimited plan.

Verizon does not throttle unlimited LTE data users.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Your iPhone was never meant to be your sole connection to the Internet when you want to download movies. .

Haven't apple been making a point to make iPhones be able to operate as stand alone devices without the need for other devices or connections?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Haven't apple been making a point to make iPhones be able to operate as stand alone devices without the need for other devices or connections?

What?

You can do without WiFi but you must then be willing to pay for the more expensive bandwidth if you choose to download large files like movies over cellular service. The carriers have no choice except to throttle users or ask them to pay accordingly. Bandwidth is not infinite.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
You can do without WiFi but you must then be willing to pay for the more expensive bandwidth if you choose to download large files like movies over cellular service. The carriers have no choice except to throttle users or ask them to pay accordingly. Bandwidth is not infinite.
Um, I believe the point that everybody ELSE has been trying to make is that even if they were willing to pay for what they would use, the iPhone will not allow you to download an app > 20MB or a video > 50MB over any kind of cellular connection, including LTE. So even if money was no object, you were not on an unlimited plan, and you WANTED to pay for the LTE bandwidth to download a single movie through iTunes Store, iOS will not let you do that, which effectively FORCES you to either use WiFi or to do it on your computer and then sync it over via iTunes.

THAT'S the point.

-- Nathan

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Um, I believe the point that everybody ELSE has been trying to make is that even if they were willing to pay for what they would use, the iPhone will not allow you to download an app > 20MB or a video > 50MB over any kind of cellular connection, including LTE. So even if money was no object, you were not on an unlimited plan, and you WANTED to pay for the LTE bandwidth to download a single movie through iTunes Store, iOS will not let you do that, which effectively FORCES you to either use WiFi or to do it on your computer and then sync it over via iTunes.

THAT'S the point.

-- Nathan

Um, believe that they knew the majority of users would not be willing to pay for the extra bandwidth and made that choice for us.

Apple devices are full of unwanted barriers. Many are still waiting on the USB port or FaceTime via 4G. Some things are just not going to happen.

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
Is this app/movie download cap on all iPhones or is it just a USA thing?!

I am in the UK.

Is this cap still in place if you teather the phone to a laptop?

Thanks.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Um, believe that they knew the majority of users would not be willing to pay for the extra bandwidth and made that choice for us.

Apple devices are full of unwanted barriers. Many are still waiting on the USB port or FaceTime via 4G. Some things are just not going to happen.

Face time over LTE/3G already works.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

This is a carrier barrier, not an apple one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.