Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djevlen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I personally thought that VP was dying, their FB page, twitter account and homepage has been silent for a while but today this popped up on their twitter account:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

https://twitter.com/virtualprog/status/258881371311849472/photo/1
You could see the games´profile on Deliver2mac.com for a short period before it disappeared again, but I managed to grab the system requirements:

Minimum specs:
OS X version 10.7.5 or later.
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GT 650M 512MB (on 1440x900, medium), Radeon HD 5770 1GB (on 1440x900, low)
Hard Drive: 25 GB free space on HDD

Recommended specs:
OS X version 10.7.5 or later.
Processor: Quad Core Intel
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GT 650M 1 GB (on 1440x900, medium), Radeon HD 6970M 1 GB (on 1920x1080, medium)
Hard Drive: 25 GB free space on HDD

The price will be $29.99, or at least that was what it was on deliver2mac.com before the link died.

Last edited:

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I know the game is pretty heavy on the eye-candy, but those are some hardcore minimum specs as far as Mac gaming goes... I don't remember the Windows specs being so damn high. Is this a native port or is it wrapped?

Either way, I hope my AMD 6770M 1GB can run it properly.

P.S.: It's up on Steam, right now!

Djevlen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Yeah, true.

Didn´t CDProjectRed wrap the witcher 1 themselves?, if they did my question is why hire someone to wrap this game?, when they can do it themselves I mean.

Will find out in a couple of hours, downloading it through the Deliver2mac client as we speak.

Last edited:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, true.

Didn´t CDProjectRed wrap the witcher 1 themselves?, if they did my question is why hire someone to wrap this game?, when they can do it themselves I mean.

Will find out in a couple of hours, downloading it through the Deliver2mac client as we speak.

I don't understand... they used Wineskin to wrap it themselves, I don't think anyone said anything about hiring anyone else to do so... they said they were going to do Witcher 2 as a native port a long time ago shortly after they released Witcher 1 mac.

Djevlen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
The game runs nice on my mid-2011 27' iMac @ 1920*1080 custom settings with AA. 10.7.5 btw.

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Tested the Steam version on my Late-2011 MBP with Core i7 2.4GHz, 8GB of RAM and a 6770M 1GB (1680x1050 display). Runs well below 30FPS at the lowest settings. Barely playable on hardware that's not even one year old...

Weirdly, changing it to Medium - or even High - has a lower impact on the framerate than I expected. I was able to (sort of) play it on High settings with 10-15FPS and it only becomes unbearable in intense combat scenes.
I think I'll play around with the Custom settings and I'll probably get it running at 20-30FPS between Low and Medium.

I hope the game goes through further optimization, as the minimum requirements on Windows are extremely lower than the Mac ones. I can, for example, play the Windows version with High settings at a stable 30FPS on the same Macbook Pro.

For people running Mac Pros or even high-specced iMacs, this game is a must-buy!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
With attaching OpenGL profiler to the game i measure 15-20 FPS on low settings.
Considering this game runs at 40-60FPS on high settings on win7 I'm very disappointed.

I did make a post on CDPRs website, but no response yet.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Tested the Steam version on my Late-2011 MBP with Core i7 2.4GHz, 8GB of RAM and a 6770M 1GB (1680x1050 display). Runs well below 30FPS at the lowest settings. Barely playable on hardware that's not even one year old...

Weirdly, changing it to Medium - or even High - has a lower impact on the framerate than I expected. I was able to (sort of) play it on High settings with 10-15FPS and it only becomes unbearable in intense combat scenes.
I think I'll play around with the Custom settings and I'll probably get it running at 20-30FPS between Low and Medium.

I hope the game goes through further optimization, as the minimum requirements on Windows are extremely lower than the Mac ones. I can, for example, play the Windows version with High settings at a stable 30FPS on the same Macbook Pro.

For people running Mac Pros or even high-specced iMacs, this game is a must-buy!

Well, it's broken under 10.8.2 - I am still waiting for an update from Steam!

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Works okay.

I got this installed this morning and tried it out. Performance was about what I expected. I wish it ran better, but it runs well enough for me to enjoy it.

On my 27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, I can do 1980x1020 and Medium settings. Runs pretty smooth. I tried High settings at that same resolution, but its gets choppy. Not horribly so, but enough that I don't want to play that way. If I lowered the resolution I'm sure I could play on High settings (and it does look better than medium of course) but I prefer the sharpness of higher resolution.

I'm streaming the game right now on my twitch tv channel: http://twitchtv.com/macgamecast

If you miss the live stream you can watch the recording. It's not amazing, but it is HD rez (supposed to be anyway, 1280x720, my upload mbps isn't the best) and medium settings. Can get an idea of the beginning of the game. I also comment on some things.

For all the people complaining about Mac vs PC performance..while it may be disappointing, as I've pointed out in other threads, its a futile point of view. Its not the same OS and its not the same drivers or implementation. In almost all cases PC outperforms a game on Mac. Just the way it is for now. If you want the best performance, you'll have to play in Windows. If you want the convenience of playing it on Mac, you're going to take a hit in performance. That's the price we pay. In the game's defense, its hardware-heavy, even on Windows.

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Have you tried attaching OpenGL profiler to measure FPS, or are you just guessing the FPS?
If that's the case that the 5750 (which is a renamed AMD 5800 series mobile card i believe) can run with OK FPS, then there is definitely an issue with NVidia and this game, because a GTX285 should be way faster.

I did finish the game when it arrived a year ago, but I haven't played the enhanced version, so I was eager to start replay the game on Mac OSX this weekend. I played for 5 minutes, then stopped because of the performance.
I was still at 10.8.1, so I updated to 10.8.2 and tried again, same issue.

I play a lot of games on OSX, many games with wine, and I can usually live with a bit worse performance, but this game is not playable on my machine in it's current state.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole

Don't feel bad. On an OCed Ivy Bridge PC with two 670 GTX in SLI and 1080p there were still a couple of features I had to dial down. Game looked amazing though.

Will be awesome to play on a 2020 MBA LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.