Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikobe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Hi All,

I'm using a late 2011 MBP 15 2.2Ghz i7 with 4GB RAM. Recently installed mountain lion.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on the following:

Issue/Question 1 of 2.

I'm a hobbyist/amateur photographer and before getting my MBP I was storing my RAW files on an external HDD and editing using various different programmes/apps.

Since getting the MBP I've been using iPhoto for management and general low level edits.

Until very recently its been working brilliantly for me.

BUT, I upgraded to Mountain Lion recently (this isn't the problem) and before I upgraded I checked for software updates as is generally recommended. I installed the very latest version of iPhoto 11 and since then I've had a few issues.

The most disturbing one is that now, when I open the editing tools in iphoto, when the image resizes, it blurs. It opens sharp for a fraction of a second and then turns blurry. This makes it very very hard to do the edits I want and also to tell whether the image is of the quality I want it to be. I've been working round it a little by closing the editing tools to view at full scree, but its not really a good alternative.

I could quit using iphoto and edit using a different app, but I really do like iPhoto for the simpler stuff. I do more complicated things in GIMP and Pixelmator.

I understand that the issue is caused by the way iPhoto scales and renders the image when displaying smaller, but to me its a massive drawback. I've read that a few others have had the issue, but haven't found a solution.

Any thoughts or ideas on fixing this? Or is it not fixable?

Issue/Question 2:
Also after upgrading to the latest version of iPhoto 11 I started having problems with my iPhoto Library. The app started crashing and telling me that it had to repair inconsistencies or something similar. Repairing the inconsistencies and rebuilding the library using iPhoto didn't work.

I used the iphoto library manager app to do a rebuild which created a new working iPhoto Library. BUT, it doesn't contain all of the RAW files, just JPG versions. Is there a way of retaining the RAW files from the old Library?
Will it work if I go into package contents and simply take the RAW files from there? I started to try this, but they are in so many folders and for some reason a search for RAW files didn't yield any results, even though I can see them there.

It also seems strage that when I rebuilt the Library, it contained an event called recovered photos which contained almost all the photos that I had deleted. Does this mean that iPhoto keeps all the RAW data even after I delete the photos from within the app? if so, what implications does this have on storage, given the amount of photos I take?

I apologise for the long post, but I really would appreciate your thoughts on these issues.

Thanks in advance

N

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.